Gotta just get out and DO it!

I am SO glad I listened to the people here, as well as my own inner voice! Life has been much sweeter since I have broken out an expressed my fashion likes! I spent a lot of my growing up years wearing heels only in secret, or with my most trusted friends, for when you grow up in a small town, everybody knows you....as well as your parents. Granted my mother eventually understood when I told her, but I never told my dad for he would not have understood, coming from a smaller town himself. I think the biggest help was moving to Colorado from Montana, since the atmosphere here is much more tolerant. Also, I found that since I can wear my heels to work, I can be in them much more than I could before, and I think it adds to my wardrobe in a very positive way. The only "downturn" is that some of the ladies get jealous of my styles, and how well I have gotten to walking in them. I say to anyone who is just starting out that there are very few reasons why one would not wear heels, and most of the time it is out of fear of rejection from others. Maybe I'm just lucky that I've not run into major hassles, but I feel a bigger sense of freedom from taking those first steps! :smile::grin::grin:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Even for myself, being a woman and all, other woman can be jealous or curious, and it takes time to educate them. I don't have much of a reaction anymore, but sometimes someone who does not see me very often at work will make a comment. I can imagine how much more difficult it would be for a woman to see a man developing great skill with heels. As if feeling inferior to another woman were not enough... I am not saying other women feel inferior to me, but realistically, SQ, people are going to see you not only intrudting, but mastering, an aspect of women's fashion that most women cannot handle. I think that the bigotry and bias and stereotypes should be thrown out, and people should just stare at you with quiet awe. Unless someone like myself were to walk by, then it would be "what guy?" Ha ha.

I think that's the part I get the most compliments on - that I can walk in higher heels with style, and not stumble around like some sort of clown. The other day I wore my strappy "slice" boots with black pantyhose (to blend with the boot better), and this gal was walking by and she just went nuts! She was saying "I was way out there" and "are you wearing nylons with those?". I think she was having fun in a good way, so I got in on the good feelings there. The ladies I'm around don't have a problem with me in heels, and have complimented me many times on how well I do in them. One of my dear friends wants to go walking down 16th st. Mall here in Denver while I'm in my heels, since she says they look good on me. It is nice to have such supportive friends! :smile:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I think that's the part I get the most compliments

Actually... I have never gotten any positive feedback, except for one occasion. From a lady in a bar who was pretty tipsy at the time. I get rarely negative reactions either, but they are more common than the positive ones. Last time was 20 minutes ago, I went to the local PC supplies supermarket for some photopaper and had some conservative 3 1/2 block boots at my feet under blue jeans. The two ladies at the cash spotted me after I had paid and they burst out in laughter. Loosers. At least *I* don't have to sit at a cash register to make a living.

Thinking about it, what are they actually laughing at. I should laugh at them for making $5/5EUR an hour :smile:

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

The two ladies at the cash spotted me after I had paid and they burst out in laughter. Loosers. At least *I* don't have to sit at a cash register to make a living.

Thinking about it, what are they actually laughing at. I should laugh at them for making $5/5EUR an hour :smile:

Bert

Yep there will alway's be people who don't understand, so what, they don't have to walk in my shoes and usualy if you look al those people (yes that's hard :-) ) than you will see you don't want to stand in there shoes either.

What I noticed that some people realy don't care what the are waering on ther feet, somtimes disgusting shoes I wouldn't even be seen dead in.

I haven't had any positive feedback yet either. But I'm still glad I'm going for it. I'm in London at the moment, and probably meeting two friends who know about me & my heels tonight. So I may go for it! And, who knows?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 1 month later...

It's easy to get paranoid. Usually people are laughing about something else quite unrelated. I get far more positive feedback than I do negative. Any woman or man who wears heels is going to get feedback at some stage. That comes with the style. It's similar to having green hair ie unusual. If you can't handle attracting attention, wear training shoes. Much safer :smile:

Training shoes are boring. It's nice to stand out and get attention. I now have a reputation, and I know that if I wear Reeboks to work, I'll get comments about it. Once people get used to an idea, one becomes a celebrity for it, and not doing that things almost seems wrong. So hey, get out there, try it, and eventually, people won't care and will actually expect it from you. After all, no one thought I would go camping, simply because I wore heels every day and thus didn't seem like the type who would camp, and could not camp since heels in the wilderness aren't so easy. And yes, people wondered if I would be wearing stilettos, the motorcycle boy made several comments about being stuck. I think he has a fetish.

So hey, get out there, try it, and eventually, people won't care and will actually expect it from you.

True! I went for chinese with a friend in London the other day, and we managed to spend the whole night without mentioning shoes, just because he's used to me in them now.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I've found that I get more posative comments, in fact I've only ever had two negative ones in about 5 years. The lady in local petrol station always has a look at what i'm wearing, and now wears heels herself! Went in once wearing trainers and got told off for not wearing heels. Paul