Hi all, my name is Sam

Can I put a picture of myself on here ?

X

First, Sam, welcome to the board!

Now to answer your question, certainly! But first, please to back and re-read Nigel's post. Then go to this post to see how it's done.

Basically, to summarize the technical minutiae:

This board really only supports text. The text can be a link -- meaning a pointer to something else on the Internet -- but text rules the day here. So if you want to post a picture, that picture must reside somewhere else. (This is called "hosting" in Internet-ese.) So you will want to upload your picture to an image-hosting site such as imageshack, photobucket, flickr or several others. Then you insert the link to that picture into your post here. When another member reads your post, the board software will follow that link and send the picture along with the text of your post.

The nice thig about imageshack, photobucket, flickr and the others is the pictures you place there will be kept there for an indeterminate time. This means the link you place here will continue to point to that picture for many years to come. This is called "permanence" and it is something to consider. Just suppose you find this absolutely sweet "to-die-for" little pump on Zappos -- and you post a link to a picture of it here. Next year, when styles change and Zappos no longer carries that cute little shoe, they will probably delete that picture from their site. And that means it will disappear here too. But if you had posted that picture on photobucket, it would still be there until you delete it.

Avatars work the same way, you can get to them through "User CP" (User Control Panel). That may be the best place for your picture -- but please keep avatars small -- 100 x 150 pixels or 10 KB total file size maximum.

Sorry if I got a little too technical here.

Have a happy time!

Hi Sam Yes, that really was me! No need to apologise, quite flattered that you chose it actually. :wink: The only reason I mentioned it is that even though it's no longer my avatar, when I first saw it I thought it was one of my posts! Chris

Hi Sam

Yes, that really was me! No need to apologise, quite flattered that you chose it actually. :D The only reason I mentioned it is that even though it's no longer my avatar, when I first saw it I thought it was one of my posts!

Chris

:fine: Spooky :wink: Your Alter Ego has come to tempt you

Why would anyone want to use a picture in an avatar that is obviously deceptive? (Especially a widely circulated and readily recognizable picture that is the property of one of our better known members) Big mistake that probably will always dilute the credibility of the poster. (Reminds me of the recent poster that used Jane's pictures claiming they were of themself.)

To be completely fair, to my knowledge Sam never claimed that the picture was of him, and most likely didn't know that it was my former avatar. As for it being deceptive, several people were suprised to find out that it is actually my legs in the photo when I was using it. Chris

Why would anyone want to use a picture in an avatar that is obviously deceptive? (Especially a widely circulated and readily recognizable picture that is the property of one of our better known members) Big mistake that probably will always dilute the credibility of the poster. (Reminds me of the recent poster that used Jane's pictures claiming they were of themself.)

I was trawling through avatar images via Google and found the exact same one that another member on here was using.

I didn't know that, until I was told of the fact. As soon as I was made aware of it, I changed the image.

I am new to this site and hadn't seen the image used previously by someone else.

Will add my own picture at a later date, when I have a camera up and running