High Heeled Shoe Shopping

DDWW

I don't know how many people go street shopping for high heels, but this last weekend I went for my fourth high heel shopping excursion. It's one thing to buy shoes over the internet, but to actually go out and browse around the women's shoe departments in the city gives me such a buzz! So far, I don't think anybody's given me any suspicious looks, and now, I thought, was the perfect time as people would think I was buying a Christmas present! It's such a good feeling to know that you're actually shopping for yourself!

This time I was out looking for some Ballet-style pumps with a 3-4 inch stiletto heel. I've only bought 4-5 inchers before, but have always wanted a more normal, cute, day-wear pair of shoes. After much browsing (I must have gone into at least 7 or 8 different stores) I finally found what I was after -Black felt-type material with a nice design across the toe. A little bit like black versions of the "Stich Almond Toe" shoes on this page:

http://order.next.co.uk/page.asp?b=X38&p=266&o=1

I just walked them over to the counter, paid and left. The girl even gave me advice on return dates after Xmas! As soon as I got back to my car I changed into them straight away -they felt so good and looked so cute! I was fairly dark by now, so I even got out and walked around a little bit pretending to arrange stuff in the boot of the car and in the back seats! It felt so good to do that knowing people were driving and walking past me! I then preceded to drive the hour and a half journey back home in them! -Amazing!

The highlight of my previous outings was when I went to the www.alternative-footwear.co.uk warehouse. If anyone hasn't gone I would recommend it -lots of pairs of high heels and a very friendly sales lady who let me try on any pair I wanted for as long as I wanted! She went round the back to get other styles for me to try that weren't laid out, and we had a good discussion about sizing and heel height and styles! I was in a dream world!

In the end I ordered a pair of their "Seduce 109" high heeled 5" sandals in black. They are awesome! and the service was great! I'll definitely be going back there when I get the chance!

Anyway, just wanted to share that! I'd love to hear from others about their shopping experiences or from anyone with any views on high heeled shopping! Also, any other tips on good shops to go to would be most welcome!!

There's nothing like a good bit of Toe Cleavage!

The only reason my last few pairs have been bought online is because they were ones I couldn't find in the shops. I'm looking forward to the January sales though, and Faith, River Island and Next are on my list. I'm seriously thinking about wearing a pair of heels and trying on prospective new ones in the shop too. Donna at Alternative Footwear is great though. She's ordered pairs in for me to try a couple of times. I'd shop there more often, but their range of leather footwear is rather limited. Chris

It is a buzz isn't it? The next step is asking for your size and sitting there waiting in eager anticipation for them to appear with the box. You almost chicken out and if they come back and say that they haven't got your size it's almost- but not quite- a relief. If they do have them there is nothing like seeing the assistant coming out with the box under their arm! What if they come out with two or three boxes saying: "I think you might like these too, would you like to try them on?"? You'll be on a high for days!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Have to agree you cant beat the buzz you get from trying shoes on in store. so far i have found sniff shoes near paradiso very good,kurt geiger in kensington and kings road,atticus in kensington (now closed down),via venise on the kings road and united nude in bermondsey all the staff were great. only nine west in kings road were a bit offish for want of a better word,possibly because the manager didnt speak great english! Best one was in faith in oxford street the sales assistant thought i was joking when i said i wanted to try some boots on and was very impressed i could walk in them.Often you end up having a good chat with them which makes it all the more fun!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Like others, I do not have a problem shopping for stuff in stores, it's just the size problems. I know if I go into Payless or Aldo I will find my size, but if I go into other places like Manic Shoes - good luck! One thing I noticed with eBay and larger shoes is old supply and demand economics. Because there are not a lot of larger sizes, the ones they list, especially for Nine West, the prices are sky high. It make it harder to find good deals.

Best one was in faith in oxford street the sales assistant thought i was joking when i said i wanted to try some boots on and was very impressed i could walk in them.Often you end up having a good chat with them which makes it all the more fun!

That's a large reason why I'm thinking of wearing heels when I go: the staff will know that I'm serious, and I won't be worried about being seen trying on heels if I walk in wearing a pair.

Chris