SUNDAY TIMES RIPOFF MERCHANTS

xaphod

That's it .... I've stopped buying the Sunday Times from here-on out.

Over the last two years they have increased the price from £1.50 to £2 which is about 5 times the rate of inflation.

OK, I like it for the fairly unbiassed coverage (unlike the Telegraph they conceal fairly well their feeling that the sun shines out of the Conservative Party's bottom). The financial pages are as perspicatious as any other paper which tries to conceal that none of them knows how the markets work, couching retrospective analysis in terms of knowledgeable foresight. For a heely, of course, the Style magazine is topping on the cake, giving some indication of the good-looking shoes on the market (amongst a whole load of fashionista trivia).

But now, you have cooked your goose. Not only can I obtain the information elsewhere, but your nasty cheap ploy to get me to buy 4 newspapers instead of the one which would have the bumper A/W edition of Style has annoyed me so intensely that you can go to hell.

Xa

RAH! RAH! COME ON XAPHOD! BOO on the Times! Let's get that soapbox and the plaquards!

Many years ago, when I was stationed overseas in the Far East, I often tuned-in to the John Dureimas Show on AFRTS. One night he related a very interesting story about a man being spotted going into the Times with a satchel in his hand night after night. At some lenght, the guards became suspicious and stopped the man to inquire as to the nature of his business. To this the non-descript man replied that he worked there. When asked where he worked, he replied, "The chief editor's office." Well this really piqued the curiosity of the guards, who knew there was no one in the chief editor's office at night. So they asked him what did he do there. To this he replied that he had been instructed to go to the chief editor's office and wait there. If no one contacted him by morning he was to go home and come back again the following night. So they asked how long he had been doing this, to which the man replied 20 years. So then they asked what was in the satchel, to which he replied 1000 Pounds. When asked what it was for, the man replied that he didn't know what it was for, that he had merely been instructed to go to the chief editor's office and wait there with it. If no one contacted him by morning, then he was to go home.

After some further investigation into the matter the guards discovered that sometime in the past there was a big event going on in Europe and all the royal houses of Europe were involved and newspaper reporters from all across the continent were at this huge event to report it to their newspapers - except the Times. So when this huge event was reported on the front page of newspapers all across Europe, the chief editor of the Times was absolutely livid with rage that his reporter had not sent in the story to the Times. When asked why the reporter hadn't been to the event, he replied that he had no money with which to hire a boat to take him to the continent so that he could report the event; and that all the banks were closed so that he had nowhere to turn to borrow the necessary funds. To this reply the enraged chief editor said that if any such thing ever were to occur again, that all he had to do would be to come to the chief editor's office at the Times where there would be someone who would give him 1000 Pounds to meet any expenses he had to face.

-- Oh, that big event that the feckless reporter missed was going on at a place called WATERLOO!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I get the local community rag for about $1 and thats about it as far as newspapers go. BUT.....World Daily Nett, News with Views, Alex Jones, Radio Liberty and others keep me up to speed on world events and the important issues at hand. Fox News and most all other main stream media organisations are nothing more than Globalist propaganda merchants and I won't have a bar of them. Once, a long time ago, the news papers did nothing more than report on social change, now the media, in all it’s guises, are the tool responsible for implementing it. You may be better off spending your 2 quid on a good cup of coffee Xa…at least you will be getting the real deal. Jim

Ahh, a good newspaper - who can find? I can definitely understand the irritation of having to pay to read someone else's "spin" on things. But then one is left with the question of just which alternative to go to? I guess about the only way to get what you want is to buy your own newspaper.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

And over half of that was probably advertisements. USA Today is only good for free in hotels, and not much good at that. The best offering in a hotel I have seen is the Marriott Waikiki Beach, which has a free local paper and a free Wall Street Journal daily. Newspapers vary a lot, but half the TV News I think they read in the morning paper.

I haven't bought or read a newspaper for many years. I usually get all of my news off of the TV and the radio and do that with a bit of a caviote anyways. When we were on our vacation, we received a free news paper each morning in our hotel. Didn't read them-just dropped them into the waste basket each day without opening them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

On Friday I purchased a copy of USA Today for $0.75, rather than the usual $0.50, and it contained a whopping 7 pieces of paper (14 pages).

THAT's a ripoff!

And what, exactly, were you expecting? In the first place, do you realize that some tree had to give it's ALL to produce that 14 page paper? And just how would you feel if some one cut you down and sold you for $0.75? Sheez, some people are hard to please.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I haven't bought or read a newspaper for many years. I usually get all of my news off of the TV and the radio and do that with a bit of a caviote anyways. When we were on our vacation, we received a free news paper each morning in our hotel. Didn't read them-just dropped them into the waste basket each day without opening them.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Well, I find that there is generally a little more to the news that what will fit on the average sound-byte or bumper sticker.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 weeks later...

The paper my parents get takes about 2 hours to read, and is full of interesting articles. I was thinking of moving there, just for the paper, but the problem is, by the time I'm finished reading it, it's usually around 9am, so I'd be late for work, and I've usually downed a fourth cup of coffee, so I'd be wired and irritable all day!

• 1 month later...

The paper my parents get takes about 2 hours to read, and is full of interesting articles.

I was thinking of moving there, just for the paper, but the problem is, by the time I'm finished reading it, it's usually around 9am, so I'd be late for work, and I've usually downed a fourth cup of coffee, so I'd be wired and irritable all day!

With 4 cups of java, who wouldn't be "wired"? I guess you know yer easily talking about a quart!

For mine own part, I found it a lot easier to put a rack in my bathroom and keep the Sunday paper there for easy reading. After only one or 2 firing squads everybody has learned to keep the entire paper there.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels