stretching

BBLoverEric

I'm curious about this. I think I've asked something like this but not in this way. I know there are a few dancers around the boards, and these tend to find higher heels easier to "jump into". I am curious what kinds of stretching dancers do to be able to bounce from en pointe to flat and back.

I do exercises in my ballet boots. 1. I put the ballet boots on whilst seated and make sure that they are laced as tight as possible. This is important as much of your bodyweight will be carried on the lacing- about 20% by my estimation. 2. Stretch your legs out as far as you can in front of you, pointing your toes as much as you can to mimic the position your feet will be in when you stand. 3. Hold this pose for until the "crampy" sensation goes. If you're an experienced ballet boot wearer this will be almost instant or you might not get this sensation at all. 4. Holding onto a table of shelf to steady yourself stand up. An experienced wearer won't need to as I found. 5. You will find that you cannot stand without bending the knees at first else you fall over forwards. 6. Steady yourself with a stick or the back of a chair you then straighten your legs as much as you can. Hold this pose for a as long as you possibly can. At first this will be no longer than a minute. Try to break your own record. Also try putting as much weight as possible on the heels this will feel very strange. 7. After your achilles tendons and big toesm have turned to fire sit down but keep your feet stretched out in front. 8. Repeat the process at least three times. You may find that by the third try you will be able to take a few clumsy steps and stand straight unaided. When you take the boots off, keep your toes outstretched and put on your high heels. When I do this, my six inch heels feel like flats and my 5" wooden mules feel really weird. I also find that I can walk quite easily in 7" heels too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.