Something Odd

Magickman

Something Odd

Odd as it may seem, I have never seen another man in high heels out in public, here in Minnesota.

At the shoe stores I frequent, the sales people tell me I am the only man they have encountered, who buys high heels for himself.

And the people I know, say they haven't ever seen another man in high heels. My friends think I am a little dingy, because I wear high heels.

This could lead one to conclude that, at least in the American midwest, men in high heels are very rare.

Lots of very rare things are highly valued. Others, such as men in high heels, are considered, to say the least, pretty strange.

The fraternity of high heeled men are spread across the globe, a few here and there. But in the American heartland, males in high heels are unusual, indeed.

The reactions I encounter are all over the map, from "Men don't wear shoes like that," to "I love your heels." Most, though, are a tad surprised that a guy will don high heeled shoes.

Some people get the wrong idea, assuming that I must be gay or bisexual. It is incomprehensible to them that a straight guy would wear high heels. There are others who think it is cool, if unconventional.

It is great fun for me, to play the part of the eccentric, the guy at the hardware store, grocery, or social event, who just happens to be wearing women's shoes. I like to play it straight, as if I do not notice that there is anything odd about a man in 4" stiletto heeled boots.

I should note for the many closet heelers, that I have not ever suffered any actual adverse consequences, for my heeling. Not everyone likes or approves of my high heels, but other than a few comments, nothing negative has happened.

I shop at local stores, visit the post office, dance with women, and go about my daily business in high heels. And nothing bad ever happens.

The apprehensions of dire consequences, at least for me, were entirely baseless. No one gets bent out of shape or has ever threatened me.

In fact, I meet many more people, who are intrigued with and curious about the man in heels. Particularly, lots of women have started heely conversations with me.

So, while men in heels are rather unusual in my part of the world, somewhat odd, no one seems really too upset about it. "That's different," is the way most folks react.

What style of heel do you generally wear? and are they on full display? My preferred style of footwear is stiletto boots, but I have only been brave enough to wear those once out shopping in 'male mode' (no adverse reactions) , normally I wear a 2 1/2" block style heel that is covered with bootleg jeans, this I have done on many occasions now, the last being a couple of days ago out and around London. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

Magickman, I have experienced pretty much the same thing as you. And like you, have never seen another guy in high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Even in a city as cosmopolitan as London I find men in heels far and few between. Apart from some TVs I have only ever met one male heel wearer outside of the guys who post on this board who wears heels, even then he was in normal male shoes. However, when buying heels in central London I'm told that they have a lot of male customers, so where are they all?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hello Magicman. Usually I wear 5" stilettos and very seldom outside and never in broad daylight. Once in Tampa Florida I saw a man wearing white capri pants, a polo shirt and 4" red stilettos. EVERYONE stared at him as he strutted down the street, heels clicking on the side walk. Some people rolled their eyes, some shook their heads in disbelief and most people laughed! On the tip of cape cod is the villiage of Provincetown. 50% gay and lesbians 50% straight and anything goes. In the past decade I have seen about six or seven men wearing male attire and noticeable high heel stiletto shoes or boots. P town is like a dream land in its own way but in the real world, in my visits to Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, New york, ect ect I have never seen a man in public wearing stilettos........Larry

Love those heels!

Even in a city as cosmopolitan as London I find men in heels far and few between. Apart from some TVs I have only ever met one male heel wearer outside of the guys who post on this board who wears heels, even then he was in normal male shoes.

However, when buying heels in central London I'm told that they have a lot of male customers, so where are they all?

As odd as it may seem, I only have only seen one man in heels. It was before I found the HHplace, It was in Cheltenham and I followed him for a while just in case he went into a shoe shop (I guess I wanted him too). Nowadays I would have chatted to him and chewed the cudd about heels, but before the HHPlace was a part of my life, I was more than just a shyguy.

I have to agree with Dr Shoe though, dispite the lack of men in heels on the street, shoe shops seem to take it as the norm. I think one of us should get a job in a highstreet store just to see how often it happens.

Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Magickman, ward and bluetango are steady members of hhplace and they live in the twin cities area. Maybe you guys could do a heel meet? They have thread for it in the real life meetings section.

Yes, I live in the Twin Cities too. I'm on the west side of town and Magickman is on the east side. I doubt that our paths ever cross. We both shop at Frattalone's Hardware - but at different stores in the chain. Maybe we should try meeting at the same hardware store in our heels? A manly environment with two different fashion freestylers at the same time. I wonder what the reactions would be?

I'm a conservative heeler in public. I wear boots with chunky heels. Even then I get plenty of stares. Never get comments, but then I don't engage people in shoe conversation. I'm just my usual friendly, outgoing self when I am out shopping. I think most clerks don't realize there is anything different until I walk away. I should try asking people who stare what they think. It would break the ice and I could show them that I'm not a nut case.

I worry out going public with thin heels because I work in a very conservative company. I would not want to put my job at risk.

Bluetango

So many shoes and only two feet.

Being fired for stiletto street heeling is illegal in nyc and I think if argued correctly, not legally enforceable in mn either. From what I hear, there are specific local ordinances in minneapolis and st. paul that prohibit any employment discrimination based on outward violations of stereotypical symbols of gender.

Kneehighs,

Thanks for the legal references. I get involved in some commercial lawsuits at work. It costs upward of $400 an hour for our attorneys. And you posted all of this for free. What a deal.

Minnesota law is generally favorable to fashion freedom. However, if someone wants to fire you for your attire, they can find other performance related reasons and start building a case. I shouldn't worry though. I have unique skills that my employer cannot find elsewhere.

Bluetango

Bluetango

So many shoes and only two feet.

I've seen a couple guys wear heels. Most recently was at the grocery store - guy couldn't have been older than 17, but he had some block heels on. Must've been a good 2, 2.5 inches. Back in New Orleans, I saw it more often. But only one time did I encounter another guy shopping in the women's shoes section, and this was before I developed the bravado to do it myself.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde