Wine drinkers

I tend to drink more reds than anything else. Even though you're suppose to pair wine with the proper foods to enhance the flavor of the meal. I'll drink a red still with salad or fish. But it doesn't overpower my meal as I tend to sip my wine towards the end anyways, so the flavors don't really get lost. I just drink water to cleanse the palate in the beginning. The worst you can do in front of "sophisticated" wine drinkers is to drink wine and cheese. The cheese coats the tongue which prevents you from enjoying all the complex fore, mid and aftertaste. Who cares, they're not in my living room with me. When I want to relax in the evening, I'll get some merlot and accompany it with various cheese and different style crackers. It gives me a slight elegance feeling while doing so and slows me down for the evening. So the strong tastes of the reds are fine for this. What's your favorite pairings to relax with?

Yes, it's beautiful isn't it?

Dry reds and forget the whites - none of the good ingredients, and usually far too many sugars than is good! Cheese only interferes with one's wine-tasting ability, not one's wine-drinking ability! Besides - I don't eat cheese to enhance the flavor of the wine - I drink wine to enhance the flavor of the cheese! Usually a glass of a good cabernet sauvingnon with a slice of NY extra-sharp cheddar... Yum!

I love a glass of red wine, especially on those cold winter nights when the rain's beating down and it's so dark you can't see you hand in front of your face. To me it’s a real pleasure just to sit back, glass in hand and do nothing more taxing than watch the fire. At the moment it's 23C and rather balmy, but this glass of Jacob's Creek Cab Sav still tastes great. Trouble is I’ve run out of cheese. What a bugger. jim

Cheese only interferes with one's wine-tasting ability, not one's wine-drinking ability!

Besides - I don't eat cheese to enhance the flavor of the wine - I drink wine to enhance the flavor of the cheese! Usually a glass of a good cabernet sauvingnon with a slice of NY extra-sharp cheddar... Yum!

Yes, I highly agree. I had a couple look at me and roll their eyes one time as if I'm some ruffian as I was enjoying my wine and cheese. I heard the lady lean over to her husband and said I obviously don't know how to enjoy wine. Insults!

Jim, what you wrote goes extremely well with your avatar. You've painted a nice picture of the setting. I even have a voice in my head narrating your post as it leads into a sinister drama. :-?

All I can say is that I'm waiting for my homemade wine to mature.....! Made 1 gallon of raspberry wine from the glut we had this year, not ready for another few months but tastes brilliant! The blackcurrant wine is pretty good to! Nik Anyone else brew their own?

To be honest I'm a dyed-in-the-wool beer drinker, but I do enjoy the odd glass of red. Cabernet sauvignon is probably my favourite, but I like merlot and pinot noir too. I say forget what anyone else thinks, as long as you're paying for your wine you drink it with whatever you please! Recently I read somewhere that the days of white wine with white meat and fish etc are gone, and that the done thing now is to drink whichever you prefer. Suits me as I've never had much of a taste for white. Chris

I went back for my second glass. Looked at the bottle and noticed it was only enough for a glass. I thought it would be funny and to amuse myself with such odd behavior, that I took the bottle, brought it to my lips, flipped my head back and chugged it. Then I stood there laughing to myself.

I had a bottle of white "Marqui de Ceresas"(sp?) in my slowly warming fridge after hurricain Charlie went over my house.. not sure when the power would be back on I figured why let chilled wine go to waste? Unfortunatly I'd had a couple beers and several shots so the wine was gone before I'd noticed it.. Tasted good though, I also like their merlot's.. Not the best wine story, but it's the last time I'd cracked open a bottle... I have spent several evenings over the years with a glass of good port.. Still have some 20 and 30 year Grahms that are untouched, as well as verious Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca's... All enjoyed with cheeze and crackers :-? Just because you enjoy something a little diferent way then someone else doesnt mean that either of you are wrong. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 3 months later...