David Bowie in heels

ulli

Hi! In the current special edition of NME/Uncut magazine on Glam Rock there's a picture on page 4 (I think) of David Bowie on stage wearing high-heeled platform sandals. I'm aware that he and many others wore platforms in the '70s, but these are definitely women's shoes. I didn't know he went that far with his androgynous image. Ulli

I seem to remember a few years ago, when he was in his 'Tin Machine' phase, I guess, mid-90's, he turned up at a music awards which I think was The Brits, wearing a pair of black pointy kitten-heel shoes. If my memory serves, he wore them with a black suit and looked pretty sharp! Anyones else remember this?

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

I remember the awards ceremony you mentioned Jay1 I think it was the Brits too, but not sure. I also remember one comment I heard the following day on the radio that he must have dressed in the dark and put his wife's shoes on by mistake. And yes the whole thing did look sharp and cool to me too.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Radio DJ's obviously play to "the majority" as their purpose is to gain as many listeners as possible, although being different could be a gimmick surely. But most of them have to keep the station owner happy so cant be seen to alienate the masses who would have found Bowies shoes to be "wierd".

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

I remember that appearance by Bowie on the Brits awards show. He looked pretty darn sharp in his heels. Then again, anything he puts together looks really wickedly cool. Perhaps he should be our spokesperson for heeling equality! :D

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I echo Shockqueen's comment that David Bowie should be our spokesperson to promote men wearing heels. I think that if we could find any one spokesperson, it sure would help to give us more support and a big boost in our crusade. Then maybe our progress would blossom a bit quicker. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

The Guy in the gold suit is actually wearing female heels, he had been wearing them for years beforehand and that is where the whole "men-in-heels" glam rock thing stems from. I wouldn't mind betting that Bowie was into them too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 months later...