Best Years In Music

I thought I'd throw this out to see what comes up. I'm a child of the 80's (IMHO), so I think the music of the 70's & 80's showed the most inspiration and creative thinking around, since today's styles are, what I believe, to be either cover tunes or samples of other songs used for someone else's song. Case in point: in the 90's, there was a group called "Soho" which did a song called "Hippychick". They used the famous Johnny Marr guitar riff from "How Soon Is Now?" by the Smiths in their song. I thought it WAS the Smiths until I heard the bass beat come in. Is it just me, or does it seem that today's music shows a LOT less inspiration than it did back in the 80's? What do y'all think? Hmmmm? I'm gonna go and polish my patent heels now....hee hee....

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I think each era has had its geniuses with respect to originality, creativity, style, and following.

60s - Beatles, Rolling Stones

70s - ?

Ok, perhaps not every era!

80s - Aha, Bangles, Go-Gos... The list goes on.

90s - Nirvana

00's - I'm really dating myself, here...!

The most creative period of modern music began in 1966 with Hendrix, Cream, and the Beatles Revolver. There were also many excellent bands from the west coast of the US, particularly from San Francisco and its environs. I consider that this era ended in 1974 when the fourth incarnation of King Crimson disbanded and Emerson Lake and Palmer started playing in stadiums.

Michael

I'm with Shockqueen here, 80's definately. Duran Duran, Ultravox, Adam and the Ants et al. Just leaving the punk era and going into new romantics at the start of the 80's and stilettos were in fashion, great.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Shock Queen I agree 110% there this band called "Papa Roach" out of the 4 singles they have released 3 are Iron Maiden rip-offs! and Brandy's latest song "I tried" features the intro riff from Iron Maiden's 1998 hit "The Clansman"! (the song is loosely based off braveheart NOT the KKK! but it isn't just 'Maiden getting ripped either... The Beastie Boys sampled AC/DC's Back In Black,Eminem (throws up at the shear mention of that talentless moron) ripped of Led Zeppelin, and that's just the start... at least Brittney, Justin, christina or any of the mentally challenged individuals I just mentioned haven't tried to cover a 'Maiden, AC/DC or 'Zeppelin track because 1. I doubt they could do it, and 2. Even if they could the bean counters (MTV) either would stuff it up, or refuse to play it! stylewise, I like the 70's - early 90's (1975-1993) although I don't really like the fact that a lot of people wore a lot of spandex then! later, TXT-1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got another whiff of the music covering scene, and ho-boy....doesn't ANYone write original music anymore? Guns 'n' Roses re-did "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth! Come on....can't they leave the good stuff alone? Every time I hear another cover tune, or someone else getting sampled for someone else's song, it furthers my belief that the years 1970-1990 were the 20 best years in music - the most creativity shone through and the most original thought came out. For a while, I used to buy albums (yes, those flat vinyl things) solely based on the album's cover art. If I liked it - or it stood out enough, I bought it....and I rarely ever missed using that method! That's how I got hooked on such acts as Danielle Dax, Helen Schneider & The Kick, Sherry Kean, and Suzy Andrews (rare find! transparent PINK VINYL!).

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

There is talent around in the 00s. Bands like Keane, Coldplay and Snow Patrol are all totally original, I know it's all the same genre but I only include these as a examples.

IMHO, Samplers are not neccessarily talentless (though some may be). To take a piece of music and to incorporate it in a totally new piece shows great imagination though just putting a beat over something is hardly imaginative.

I hold Dizzy Rascal up for scrutiny. I am no fan of his really, all his music is samples but they are put together in a fresh new way that makes the originals almost unrecognisable. He has won the prestigious Mercury Music Award which is no mean feat.

All Decades have had outstanding talents that have had a lasting influence on the future of music.

50s: Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Hailey

60s: Beatles, Kinks, Beach Boys

70s: Queen, Abba, Slade(?), The Sweet.

80s: Bangles (perhaps), Spandau Ballet

90s: Oasis, Blur,

00s: The Darkness, Coldplay

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I just got another whiff of the music covering scene, and ho-boy....doesn't ANYone write original music anymore?

Several that come to mind that I have recently started listening to:

Offspring

Evanescence

Cruxshadows

Covenant

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Several that come to mind that I have recently started listening to:

Offspring

Evanescence

Cruxshadows

Covenant

I agree with Evanescence and the Offspring (But I don't know the others). I would like to throw in The Beasty Boys and Linkin Park along with Terrorvision and The Divine Comedy.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

The no(a)ughties rule:

JLO

Beyonce

Sugababes

Holly Valance

Jamelia

Great music to party

I think you'll find that J Lo, Beyonce and Holly Valance perform music written by other people. Great original music nevertheless.

You could add Kylie, Sophie Ellis-Bextor (writes her own) and even Britney if it comes to that.

I'd like to add The Rasmus, No Doubt, Eve, etc.

I think you'll find that J Lo, Beyonce and Holly Valance perform music written by other people. Great original music nevertheless.

You could add Kylie, Sophie Ellis-Bextor (writes her own) and even Britney if it comes to that.

I'd like to add The Rasmus, No Doubt, Eve, etc.

You are absolutely right :D

I have broadband and downloaded it in a few minutes, no problem, but perhaps it's too much for many people to download such a file. But besides of that it is large, this is the music of today. I talk to my collegues who are in their twenties about music sometimes and they like this kind of music. For me it is extremely monotonous with a beat you can compare with the heartbeat after a couple of hours running. I found the music I heard on the radio when I grew up more versatile. Still older people than me say the same that my music is monotonous :D