Risk of blood clots/DVT ?

Nova

I've read about this before and searched this forum for awhile, but couldn't find anything here about it. I've read that wearing high heels can cause deep vein thrombosis, which if I'm right is just a fancy way of saying blood clot. Anyway, what's the real risk here? What are the chances of that actually occuring, and under what conditions might it occur? Does anyone know? Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

Thrombosis? From wearing HEELS??? :D If that is true, I have been tempting fate for over 40 YEARS!! :D No, Jen. Wearing 'heels DOES NOT give you leg clots. Leg clots form from a number of reasons; inactivity, poor diet, medication side effects . . . NOT from wearing 5.5" Stilettos!!! WHERE do they dig this misinformation up??? Ciao, Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

jennifer u don`t need to worry about dvt as according to wot i have heard it only comes from prolonged periods of inactivity like sitting in a seat on a plane going from london to sydney in one go, i did here of it once ina taxi driver who did cornwall to heathrow an back non stop(one side of country to the other), but he only died when the blood clot went from his leg to his heart an gave him a heart attack, it took something like 8 hours or more to drive all the way so u see u would have to be wearing heels sitting still for over eight hours, to run any risk of it. i hope this makes sense i have gone on abit later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

nhoj62, that doesn't sound right. There has to be more to the story -- like the cab driver was in bad health to begin with -- than meets the eye. Because, I've driven on very long trips wearing high heels -- in excess of 16 hours -- without incident. :D

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I don't think you can get DVT from wearing high heels - but I'm not a Doctor, so don't quote me. From what I've heard, you're at risk from DVT from sitting in one position for a long time and your arteries are constricted. On the news a few weeks ago was a young boy who had DVT from kneeling down and sitting on the lower parts of his legs whilst playing a playstation for up to 4 hours at a time. Becks

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

Well, I suppose it might have been more of a theory then. Either that or some uptight individual who doesn't like high heels felt like ruining it for everyone else. Like that's never happened to anything before... *cough* video game violence *cough* rap music *cough cough*. Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

I have to agree with Bubba on this. I don't believe you can get DVT from spending too much time in a car. I vaguely remember a doctor telling me that the risk in aircraft was not only due to cramped conditions restricting movement, but also that flying at high altitudes slows down the blood flow increasing the chances of this condition occuring. Paul.

my theory was only general, so don`t quote me on it, i was only relaying wot i had heard. sounds like other are giving good advice, cause like most things it occurs when several things come together it can`t be caused by any one thing. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!