A New Breed Of Metrosexual?

JeffB

A few co-workers and I were shooting the breeze at the office this morning when one of them asked if I were a metrosexual. That threw me a wee bit, then I chuckled. I had never considered myself as being that really, I guess that had a lot to do with the fact that I dress a great deal nicer than I did when I first started at my job. Anyhoo, I chuckled and told here that I wasn't since I don't think metrosexuals are into wearing pantyhose and high heels! Then she laughed back and said that I might be setting a whole new trend! And who knows? Perhaps I am! :D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well, PJ, I don't know, if anyone really can tell, what that exactly means. I think it's bit of a hype brought up by the fashion industry. As far as I understood, that term should describe men, who dress up stylish, not the usual boring way, use cosmetics and generally let out a bit of their feminine side. A few weeks ago, in an article in a big German newspaper, the author (a woman) described "metrosexuals" as "men, who are actually not gay, but look just gay enough, so that women like them!" And, Jeff, who wouldn't like to set up a whole new trend? Men wearing high heels definitely should be a new trend!

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Well, other than dressing stylishly, having decided long ago that my clothes should look as nice as the shoes I choose to wear, I don't know if I qualify as being a metrosexual. Still, perhaps I might just wind up being a trendsetter! Heck, you never know! :D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Let me see if I understand it correctly; metrosexual = Flamboyant when it comes to fashion, yet true to the norms of their gender when it comes to lifestyle.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Let me see if I understand it correctly;

metrosexual = Flamboyant when it comes to fashion, yet true to the norms of their gender when it comes to lifestyle.

As far as I understood the few descriptions I read about that, I think that's correct.

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Guru's defined metrosexual as follows:

metrosexual

A metrosexual is defined as a dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but also his urban lifestyle; a straight man who is in touch with his feminine side.

According to The Word Spy, Mark Simpson coined the term "metrosexual" in 1994, in an article in The Independent. His description of someone who is a metrosexual was printed on the internet's Salon.com. He wrote, "The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference." —Mark Simpson, "Meet the metrosexual," Salon.com, July 22, 2002

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 year later...

If we take a more humorous definition, metrosexualism is just making love in underground trains, tunnels, stations etc. Both in a very vanilla and a more kinky way.

And I see that www.urbandictionary.com is popular here too :D

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!