Ties: Don't you just hate them?

OK, I know, I know... a tie can look smart, I'm not denying it. But, more often than not, a tie is just worn as male attire because that is "the norm", what is expected. I think this bastion is slowly being broken down. You can see the presenters on television appearing in jackets and shirts or waistcoats or even just smart shirts. As far as the business world goes, I wear a jacket/suit black or dark shirt, no tie, and heels. It's a perfectly accepted ensemble among clients and colleagues alike. I wish more people would discard perpetual tie wearing in favour of smart personal choice, if indeed that would be their choice. I've nothing agianst tie wearers if they enjoy it, but I've the feeling many would rather not.

Damn right! I have no choice when I wear a long sleeved shirt, then the tie is obligatory, but I really hate it when I see people wearing short sleeves with a tie, it just doesn't go, so stop it! Only kidding, I say, do what you want, when you want and damn any who think otherwise :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I've never really thought of it like that before, but now you've come to mention it, short sleeves don't go with a tie do they? It reminds me of an airline pilot or navy guy wearing a short sleeve shirt and a tie (just because it was part of the uniform).

I think that men shold only wear ties as a means of self expression. A tie to show colour, a pattern, or even many ties with pictures on them, maybe sports related or of cartoon characters. A tie for the sake of wearing a tie is a waste of time. A tie worn to add a means of expression for the wearer is the way to go. So yes, when you all say you hate how a tie seems obligatory, then you are right. They should be worn by choice, and as a form of expression. Nothing more than that. Oh, and to cover up a stain that may have occurred while eating lunch. Yes, ties can be functional! Why the length, I will never know, but they do look better than a bow tie! And finally, to the overall end of this topic, the shirts I like men to wear have no collar flaps, so wearing a tie is very dumb. So yes, no ties can be good ties. Talks about the ties that bind, and literally here, as they bind men to an outdated social and fashion convention.

What about ties on women though? They still seem to be quite popular for school girls in the UK, at the posher schools at least. Other than that, it's those big flouncy things or neck scarf type affairs which personally I'n not a fan of.

Ties for women? a scarf around the neck, if done right, is good, and doesn't bring any tie illusions with it. Women and ties, personally I do not think they mix. That trend should stay dead. As for school girls in the UK, I would not have an inkling, I was not a UK school girl. Women and ties, no, not a good thing, as the neck offers some sense of sensuality, and should invite kisses from one's boyfriend, not be covered up and hidden away.

I thought the schoogirl tie thing was quite popular in quite a few other countries as well as the UK. I'm just guessing though.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:RK7vutcLvccC:www.eveningnews24.co.uk/Content/LifeStyle/img/2001/08/010820Fash4.jpg

Whatever... she certainly doesn't look very happy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-03-15 00:32 ]</font>

In my opinion a man in a suit and tie looks very smart. Haven't got a clue where they originated from and are a funny thing when you think about it I suppose. Keep away from the shreader though Firefox when you're wearing one :smile: Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

I work in consultancy, where projecting an image of conformity is quite important. Hence I wear a suit and tie virtually all of the time when I'm working (and dull shoes, before you ask B) ). It's just part of the job for me. It doesn't bother me, except that I'd rather get changed before driving a long way home, just because I prefer to drive in jeans. I like to choose nice ties that go with the otherwise fairly plain stuff I wear. The one I'm wearing now is a very nice present from my SO, who also likes purple. I've never had one shredded, but I did slam the end of my tie in the case of a PC I'd just fixed, then stand up. Not only did I get a slight case of neck strain, I tore the end off my tie! Ouch :smile: .

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I am not a fan of wearing ties, and normally only wear one if I am visiting clients in an office environment or a meeting. If I am in a warehouse/production site then I consider ties to be downright dangerous and best not worn! Having a length of fabric hanging around ones neck asking to get caught up is not my idea of safety. We have a pretty relaxed dress code in the office, so currently I am wearing a shirt with a black polo neck jumper on top and no tie. There is a spare tie in the car in case it is needed.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Surely the RAF (my employer) is not so forward thinking that it is ahead of the curve by forbidding the wearing of ties with short sleeved shirts :eek: Sounds like some of you have the right idea about wearing what you like :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Ties are ok...I only wear them with a suit. For me that’s rare. But they are not normal traditional ties. Got one with red peppers and loony tunes. The other a little bit less "colorful" has dogs on it. But for some reasoned my wife won't let me put the darn thing on by my self. Some how I don't think her hands are suppose to be around my neck. :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-15 18:21 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I agree with the tie haters, and the idea that if worn out of choice, it's not a bad idea, while worn as an obligation of male fashion, well it just illustrates the basic problem of male fashion. Most men wear them just because all other men wear them, in the same way that men wear boring shoes, clothes that really don't fit well, etc. I hate the damned things. However, in white collar circles, they are considered mandatory, and to go without a tie is asking for trouble. Ah well...

I hate the things, yet like Laurie I don't mind scarves, they can be quite elegant. Unfortunately in my school years I went to a private school and had to wear a tie -yuck! PS: Can still tie a 'windsor knot' and a lot of guys can't do this, result is their tie looks ridiculous, like at 45 degrees instead of straight down. Oh yes you're right Debbie I've seen a couple get the shedder treatment, quite amusing. B) Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-16 06:00 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

What my mum taught me was the "schoolgirl" knot where you just wrap it round a couple of times and it looks crap like 45 degrees angle. It was only when I asked a couple of the other boys at school that I learnt how to do the windsor or the half windsor which look much better.

I suppose it helped a bit in that I had a part time job in a department store when I was 16 and a manual explaining how to dress was handed out. This was one of the things covered. (Probably should have put this in my original post) Anyhow I generally wore mine at school in a manner that certainly did'nt attract praise from the teaching staff. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I have 5 ties and they all stay hidden until such events as a wedding or a funeral take place and then only when I feel like it :smile: I really hate ties, but will where them if the situation dictates and not what anyone says. If I get a job that says a tie is obligatory then they will be given three choices, little, none or P45. I'm not fussed which! Same now applies to my footwear choice. B)

• 2 weeks later...

But, more often than not, a tie is just worn as male attire because that is "the norm", what is expected. I think this bastion is slowly being broken down. You can see the presenters on television appearing in jackets and shirts or waistcoats or even just smart shirts.

I've nothing agianst tie wearers if they enjoy it, but I've the feeling many would rather not.

Well, strangely enough, I almost enjoy wearing ties. In the beginning I wore them just not to piss off the VP, but that has changed. I nowadays may wear no tie to the board meeting and a the other way around when having no meetings at all. I actually think that if you show your willingness to conform to the norm (by wearing ties) most of the time, people will cut you some slack if you show up in jeans and sneakers once a week.

I defenitely don't consider somebody else not wearing a tie as a rebel, but not yet everybody may agree with that.

Heels are still far from the same status, though...

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

• 1 month later...

Ties... I went on mission for my church (Mormon) when I was 20-22, and ties and white (only)shirts were mandatory dress, 16/7. What I did with both when I got home reminds me of something I heard about in the army a decade later... Seems there was a group of sailors and nurses, about 100 or so, that was cut off from supplies on a little island in the pacific by the Japanese blockade for about 3 months during WW-II. They had just received a food shipment before the cutoff, but the Navy in it's infinite wisdom had rerouted their supply request and instead had sent them a 1000 or so cases of evaporated milk and cheese cake mix... As the story went, the veterans to this day run to the toilet if cheese cake is even mentioned in conversation. The problem with ties is that not only are they a mandatory piece of men's dress or business attire, and not only are they a means of self-expression, they are the ONLY means of self-expression allowed a man by conventional society. Suits and ties (or cravats) were adopted universally by the followers of Prince Charles back in 1830 or therabouts, who preferred to dress in non-shiny black and white (the original goth?) as opposed to the colorful, often shiny silk coats and breeches (capris) then being worn by men--and that is when men's fashion went down the toilet (or comode to the Europeans?).

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I've always hated ties, consider them a portable noose. About the only time I wear one is to a job interview. Every place I have worked has had a casual dress code. I have to say though that they do make you look sharp with a suit. Ken

Ken

Hi all :smile: What do ties represent? They are a graphical symbol of a male penis and genitals. It seems funny that men's suit pants are baggy to hide the male anatomy, and then they stick it up there on the shirt. Another thing. When I was traveling in Australia some years ago, I stayed with a family in Melbourne. One son had a building inspectors job and had to wear a tie. He said it was very difficult to do the inspection work as he had to bend down to see the work. The tie blocks off the supply of blood to the brain in this case. We did some research and came to the conclusion that the tie was invented as an excuse for the upper class to get out of menial tasks. The suit jacket is also extreemly restrictive, and the combination of such a jacket and tie restricts a man to pretty much sitting and standing very upright. I was invited to a gala Chinese Year party some months ago. The waiter wore a jacket and tie. His tie was frazzled from rubbing against the furniture and his suit jacket sleeve was frayed. He strained to reach over the table against the tension of his jacket. I worked in Product Development in a large company where most of the men in my department wanted to wear ties. We also had a prototpye lab where we would all work in from time to time to make our own prototpye parts. The boss warned the men to take off their ties so they would not be strangled while working on the lathe. They didn't. When I was at home my dad told us to take our jackets off while eating at the table. Now I see that many restaurants make men wear a suit jacket and tie at the table. I guess so they can dip their ties in the soup and dip their jacket sleeves in the butter. I guess many men are like little sheep Baah Baah, I must wear a suit and tie because that is what is expected. Like some of you said, if this is what you like wearing and it is suitable for that situation, then good for you. But let's get men into some other kinds of clothes for a change, especially clothes that make more sense. I think many men wear suits and ties because a lot of women like a man to be dressed up. So what other kind of dress up clothes would you women like to see on a man? Leather jackets? Muscle shirts? Tight teashirts? Leather pants? Taller boots? Vests? Tighter pants? Hats? Turtleneck sweaters? Heavy shirts? Thick sweaters? Sweaters with bold patterns? Communist uniform lookalikes? Navy uniforms with tighter pants and lightweight shirt jackets and no ties? Ben

• 5 weeks later...

On 2002-06-07 04:36, pieman3141 wrote:

why DO girls wear ties? sad.

*choke*

/me falls to the ground dead.

Women wear what they feel like wearing.

What I'd like to know is WHY DO MEN WEAR THE GD THINGS??!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: azraelle on 2002-06-07 05:47 ]</font>

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I don’t mind wearing ties at all. With the right outfit, say my business suit, long sleeve dress shirt, and nice dress shoes, I think it makes me look sexy!!! :eek: However, I don’t wear ties very often. I don’t think men should be force to wear ties. It would be like forcing women to wear high heels. :smile: People should dress however they want as long as it is suitable for the situation. “I’m too sexy for my shirt” “I’m too sexy for my tie!” Remember that song? Hehe :smile:

I don't even onwn one tie, and have never worn one once. But I can inmagine that a tie is not verry comvertble, just lihe high heels, the only thing is I like high heels a lot and they do something to your aperance than just wearing it. If womebody is wearing heels her/his whole posture changes.