Las Vegas Setting the cornerstone for "on the job"

genebujold

If they don't want to wear high heels, then they shouldn't have applied for and accepted a job where they will be required to wear them. Simple as that. Waiting tables is not rocket science, they could work in lots of other places that didn't require them to wear heels. I recently looked at a new job, but found out that I'd have to work permanent night shifts. I didn't want to work nights all the time, so I didn't take the job. I didn't even consider taking the job and then moaning later on that I didn't like working nights all the time. Chris

About 30 years or more ago, the US Govt. decided that Washington, DC needed a modern airport. Where to put it. They chose a large chunk of rural farmland, miles out in "plum nearly" and constructed Dulles Internal Airport. The reason they chose such an isolated and unpopulated area was because there wasn't many people around to complain about the noise jet aircraft make. Well, like I said, that was more than 30 years ago. And now, the area has boomed and there's a tremendous number of people living all around DIA. Guess what? Depite the fact that these people were forewarned that it got noisy around there, they chose to build their houses close to the airport and directly under the flight paths. Now, these people have banned together and sued the government because they don't like the noise. I say, since they were forewarned about the noise, and chose to build nearby anyway, it's too bad they don't like it. They paid their money and, knowing full well in advance the conditions that prevailed prior to their taking a decision, screw-em! :D

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

About 30 years or more ago, the US Govt. decided that Washington, DC needed a modern airport. Where to put it. They chose a large chunk of rural farmland, miles out in "plum nearly" and constructed Dulles Internal Airport. The reason they chose such an isolated and unpopulated area was because there wasn't many people around to complain about the noise jet aircraft make. Well, like I said, that was more than 30 years ago. And now, the area has boomed and there's a tremendous number of people living all around DIA. Guess what? Depite the fact that these people were forewarned that it got noisy around there, they chose to build their houses close to the airport and directly under the flight paths. Now, these people have banned together and sued the government because they don't like the noise.

I say, since they were forewarned about the noise, and chose to build nearby anyway, it's too bad they don't like it. They paid their money and, knowing full well in advance the conditions that prevailed prior to their taking a decision, screw-em! :D

I couldn't agree with you more!

I am self employed. I have my own firm and employ from one to as many as five people depending upon the project. I am the boss. If an employee fails to perform in the manner that I expect, they are colored "gone"! As far as courses in business ethics goes, some people can attend these types of courses and actually learn something. And, then again, no matter how many courses some people attend, they don't ever learn-- they just turn into barracks lawyers, thinking they have all the answers. I don't care what anyone else does in their business but leave me to mind my own business. I don't appreciate, want or will I accept anyone telling me how to run it.

I couldn't agree with you less!

So - what's the difference? First, if that's the way you want to run your own business - more power to you. And more power to employes jumping ship because that's the way you want to run your business. It all comes down to how you treat your people. I run a network consulting business, less than 10 people, but more than $5M net income per year. Why does this work? Simple - they're the boss of their own areas of responsibility. If I disagree, we discuss the matter, and try to arrive at an agreeable solution. Generally, we do. On very rare occasion, we do not. When that happens, I convene a quorum of the other employees, and we discuss the issue and decide what's best for our company. After all, all have a stake in its future. To date, in the last seven years, we've only booted two. More than 11 have quit, to be quickly replaced by competant individuals. Bottom line, we're not hurting in the least - treating others with dignity and respect instead of the "my way or the highway" mentality is an extremely successful recipe for success. Then again, I learned it from an old retired Navy pilot (30 years) who took a chance on me long, long ago, at a warehouse far, far away. He saw in me something I never did - until he did. That's pretty much when it all changed, when I first realized I wasn't subject to the whims of corporate America, but rather, I could carve my own destiny, leaving in my wake a legacy of compassion, healing, understanding, and more to the point of the company's bottom line - productiviy. "When you enable others, you're not just helping them - you're helping yourself." - Anon. I could go on ad nauseum, but what's the point, Bubba? Sounds like you made up your mind long ago to be the way you are. I certainly don't fault you for it - if that's you, so be it. All I'm saying is that I found a way I believe works significantly better.

Gene, I could care less if you agree with me at all. I also run a consulting company. Your configuration and philosophy might serve you well but it is totally inappropriate for my operation. It's not as large as the one you say you operate. Nor does it "net" as much income per year as yours. I don't have to work...I don't go out looking for clients. People seek me out. It's up to the people that seek my services to convince me that I need to work for them (And, let me say, business is good. I have more than I want to do). Our circumstances are completely different. My business is not a collegial effort. I don't manage by committee. My only full time employee is a secretary -- more like a partner -- that has worked with me for almost six years. She is of great value and I pay her very generously. Each year my accountants give her a statement of her earnings. She is responsible for her own taxes, social security and any other benefits she desires. I hire people to provide products and services. I deal with competent professionals. I retain people with the skills, knowledge, experience and expertise I need to produce the best products and provide the best services I can for my clients. Every project is different. I outline what I need based on terms, conditions, specifications and work statements. They produce what I need and adjust their input until my requirements are met. As for my personnel -- or as they say these days, "human resources" -- policies are concerned. I really don't have any. Amounts I pay are based on the prevailing rates and local scale for the services I need. I do not withhold taxes or social security. I do not pay overtime, for medical insurance or vacations. What, when and how many hours people work is their business. Their "employee benefits" are their business. If they need steel-tipped safety shoes and hard hats, it's "on them." It's their business to see that they conform to OSHA and all other government regulations, not mine. I do not want, do not need, nor will I tolerate anyone interfering in my operation. That goes doubly for the people that hire me.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Gene, I could care less if you agree with me at all.

As I've alluded before, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. As for the rest of your post, given the tone of your first line, it's right where it belongs - unread.

I'm not sure why you're so disparaging towards me. Whatever the reason, that's your own business. I've always tried to be polite to you, but evidently, that doesn't seem to count with you.

One of these days I hope you realize that politeness always counts, even when you sincerely believe you're right and the other guy is wrong.

Have a nice day.

In Australia you can contract work out to others with the necessary skills or you can employ them. If you contract out then the contractors are responsible for there own leave, medical safety and so on. If you employ people then as an employer you are resonsible. It seems to me that one of you is contracting and the other employing and as both systems work equally well for each of you I cannot see the fuss. I dont even see that either of you is being more disrespectful, disparaging or polite toward the other. Each method works well for one of you. There is more than one way to skin a cat and no one way is better than any other depending on how you like to do it. Jeff

About 30 years or more ago, the US Govt. decided that Washington, DC needed a modern airport. Where to put it. They chose a large chunk of rural farmland, miles out in "plum nearly" and constructed Dulles Internal Airport. The reason they chose such an isolated and unpopulated area was because there wasn't many people around to complain about the noise jet aircraft make. Well, like I said, that was more than 30 years ago. And now, the area has boomed and there's a tremendous number of people living all around DIA. Guess what? Depite the fact that these people were forewarned that it got noisy around there, they chose to build their houses close to the airport and directly under the flight paths. Now, these people have banned together and sued the government because they don't like the noise.

I say, since they were forewarned about the noise, and chose to build nearby anyway, it's too bad they don't like it. They paid their money and, knowing full well in advance the conditions that prevailed prior to their taking a decision, screw-em! :D

About 9 years ago, my wife went house hunting. She told me she found a great house and she wanted me to look at it. Guess what? It was north of Dulles and in the flight path. I've lived in the area for many years and I know where the planes fly and where the airports are. I said no way! Several years later, there was an article in the paper about people who had bought in that area and the noise caused by the planes. They looked at the house during the day but the planes take off at night for Europe and elsewhere.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Having spent more than 2/3 of my juvenile existance within 1 mile of a flightline, I'm fairly immune to the noise. Nevertheless, I strongly believe in "caveat emptor." It's up to the buyer to determine local area conditions, including (but not limited to) schools, roads, grocery stores, medical care, recreation, parks, airports, flight patterns, education (both juvenile and continuing)... The list goes on. Fortunately, a number of relocation websites in the U.S. offer some pretty stellar services with respect to all of the above and for next to nothing. When I sold our first home in Vegas, it was in one of the best neighborhoods with respect to climate, crime, increase in property value over time, and accessibility, but local schools rated in the bottom third. Integrity is one thing - I'll never lie. But when it comes to buying my house, it was up to the buyer to dig up the info and weigh it with respect the good and bad points, and make an informed decision. The same can be said of the stock market. Most investors loose more than they win. I think it's only about 22% or so that actually make a profit that exceeds inflation, after taxes. They rest would have been better served sticking it in a bank.

You wouldn't happen to have any openings, would you? :D:(

Hi, Azraelle.

With the limited number of consultants we keep, we've very little turnover, as most of us like working there, and few leave. We usually get a position open about once a year, and we almost exclusively hire people with whom we've worked for some time, but who happen to work for other companies or who've sub-contracted with us on many occasions.

I make less money up front doing things that way, but since people are our most important resource, and our group is positioned within the marketspace where it is, it pays off in the long run.

gene, JeffM hit the hammer right on the thumb, in all respects. You wrote: "I couldn't agree with you less!" And I wrote in the same spirit as your comment: "Gene, I could care less if you agree with me at all." Which is flat out true. I've no pick with you! I am neither seeking your approval nor disagreeing with you. I am stating my opinion. JeffM said: "I don’t even see that either of you is being more disrespectful, disparaging or polite toward the other. Each method works well for one of you. There is more than one way to skin a cat and no one way is better than any other depending on how you like to do it. " Do you believe I'm being disparaging or impolite toward you because I don't agree with you? Believe me, no disrespect intended. I've allowed you to state your opinion and I've freely stated mine. We don't agree with each other and probably never will as long as we each operate our businesses as we do. Now, I’ve got an “attitude” problem because I’ve voiced my feeling that I don’t want government or anyone else interfering in my business? I’ve actually had people that sought me out to try to tell me that I have to have so many minority employees and that any labor I hired had to be union workers, etc., to which I politely told them to find someone else because I do now allow or accept any interference in the operation of my business. Some even want to argue with me over my policy about giving me “one half irrevocable payment” for my services “upfront.” A policy I will not change. Like I said, now that my children are educated, grownup and on their own, I don’t have to work. Therefore, I have the luxury of “sticking to my terms.” It’s that simple. Final analysis: Like I said, I’ve no pick with you!