Recommendation For Over The Knee Suede Boots?

freestyle75

Hi everyone,

it happened again... advertising worked on me :text_sigh: . I received an email newsletter today starting with a picture of over the knee boots (just look at the boots, not the text) and soon after looking at the picture I developed I-want-to-have-them symptoms. :w00t2:

street_zps8d169e82.jpg

Although the shop itself doesn't sell any over the knee (OTK) boot remotely looking like the one in their email teaser, I think I was able to identify what the girl on the picture is wearing: The famous Stuart Weitzman 5050 OTK boots in suede leather. Here's a pic:

img-thing_zps67b0a9f5.jpg

I like suede leather for OTK knee boots much more than regular leather, as the regular leather in OTK boots can look very dubious very fast (remember the movie "Pretty Woman"...). Suede takes away some of that already and looks more subtle in my opinion.

Anyway... the problem I have with the Stuart Weitzman boots: The heel is too low. If I had very small feet, they would look okay, but with US size 11 / European 41, with heels that low, the size/length of my feet will look humongous. I already don't like how they look on the pic posted above, and that's probably a model with smaller feet than mine. If the heel is a bit higher - due to the arch - the overall boot looks smaller.

I found only one other OTK boot that also uses black suede material and has a higher heel which is not a stiletto - made by Dune:

001641071_zps3c5b7d35.jpg

This looks very much ok to me already. The heel is a block heel (which I think is better than a stiletto for OTK boots - Pretty Woman again...), the leather is suede and black.

But: I have read mixed review of the quality of Dune. Besides, as the boots don't have zipper, they rely on the elastic at the back of the boot, which (I read in reviews), makes the boot slide down your leg quite often after wearing them for a few times (the elastic seems to wear out fast).

So... do you have any recommendations for a black suede overknee boot that comes with a block heel similar to the Dune ones ?

Does anyone have the Dune OTK boots? How is their quality and do they run true to size?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

FYI: Suede is leather turned inside out.

Er... not exactly.

Leather, especially cow leather is a lot thicker when it's tanned than the finished product would be. It has to be split, and it's usually split into 3 or 4 layers. The outside is used as leather, the first split is suede, the second split is chamois and the fourth split is waste and is often made into leather board or used as filler for things like jiffy bags or padded cushions.

If you wanted to make a pair of suede boots and you only had eather then, yes, you could just turn it inside out but the "wrong side" of the leather is not treated to the same quality as the "right side" and may suffer from blemishes and variations in colour which would have been sorted out had it been made as suede.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.