A Days Heely Tour

I don't often list days out  but as full days are rare, here we are.

Planned a mini tour for Sunday, the wife is in France for the weekend so it was some "me" time. Normally I have a major project that takes much of the weekend whilst she is away.

I wanted to get up to the Mosquito museum on the northside of London with a couple of options for the return route and this was to be a heels on all the way.

Long jeans, mid blue sleeved shirt and 4" heel desert boots was to be the dress for the day, only a little of the heel shows standing but far more when walking, a fairly soft rubber heel giving good grip if needed.

post-2779-0-70822400-1399280299_thumb.jp

Began the trip leaving just after 0730 with about a 2 hour drive, actually arriving at 0915.

The museum (de Havilland aircraft museum) is quite small and I guessed correctly for about a 2 hour stay, and would have left earlier if it wasn't due to talking with one of the guides, an American who knew sod all about UK civil aviation but we discussed some interesting tales.

Next was down to Camden market a mere 13 miles but 2 hours later due to traffic and some none existant junctions on my satnav. South London is home ground but not the northside. Destination reached and making use of the local supermarket for some food and parking it was good to visit this well known alternative clothing market. Well 100 tee shirt stalls isn't quite what I expected. A few had some nice goth/steampunk dresses and coats for the girls, one shoe stall. the high street was a lot more variant, from total tourist crap to very high styles (Office and Dune shoe outlets) Did eye up some very spectacular boots and shoes in the steampunk theme untill I saw the prices 250 quid plus! and not even leather! I did speak to a lovely sales assistant but didn't buy. Camden market is a tourist trap just like Piccadilly and Trafalga Square.

Collected the car and made my way westwards to Little Venice, fighting it seems around the one way streets to get in the right direction first. Little Venice is on the Regents Canal near Paddington station an open triangle of canal with an island in the centre. I have a love of the canals and narrowboating and this weekend the boat residents have a canival/festival. Not a big music thing but lots of visiting boats and arts and crafts. Very colourful. Incidentily this was the only place I partially tripped and stumbled, not a full fall so no embarrising moments, it's bad enough with out heels. Didn't find any boats I knew and moved on after a couple of hours. It was now about half 5 in the afternoon.

I decided to do 3 more stops on the way home, the first after picking up some food for the evening was near my old house, not so much to see it but where I used to play down by the stream/river. All the trees I used to climb are gone, a second bridge now built for cycle traffic and greatly changed. Trees I remember being small 10ft saplings now fully grown, what was open and bland now changed to something more natural. Sometimes to leave locations with history there is a sadness, notso today, though my woods had gone it was fresh and with future.

Final two stops were two pubs I used to frequent at least once a month during the '70s. The first was the Black Swan at Ockham the location for a couple of '50s comedy films, a stop for a photo was all I wanted and then on to the final, the Anchor at Purford Lock for a quick drink (coke). Both had changed, the Swan hugely externally. The Anchor little outside but now very modern and tasteful internally.

The whole day went as near perfect as could be returning home at 9 in the evening. The driving time in traffic was more than expected bore almost as much toll as walking. I would guess I could count a good 8 hours on my feet in public, apart from the stumble no issues of concern and certainly wasn't pointed out or accosted at any time over what I was wearing. Were my feet sore? no more than if in normal height shoes and I knew I was going to be covering distance.

I hope this can be a boost to some that are wary of ventureing out. I do tend to be cautious as to where and when but as with everything, confidence builds.

Al

Edited by Alsheels

Sorry LHH I did think about you on the A3 on the way back. Even finally meeting locally. I seem to be so busy that everything else gets forgotten.

Bad Al...

Al

That's a great choice of boots for your day out Al, and very well matched with the jeans and shirt, it sounds like you presented yourself very naturally and positively in heels. Great choice of venues with the museum and the carnival at Little Venice too, I'm glad you had an enjoyable day.

If you like it, wear it.

• 3 weeks later...