High Heels: Can they be a bonding thing between girls?

Firefox

Many is the time I've seen a girl out shopping with her friend wearing a nicer or higher pair of heels than average, and it's likely her mate is wearing high heels herself as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have any of the ladies either intentionally or in empathy worn heels when going out with a girlfriend because she was wearing them or did it happen the other way around because you were. Or maybe someone at work wore heels too and you got to know each other because you had something in common. If so were the shoes like a bonding thing? One hears talk about female bonding but I wonder if dress could be a part of that?

Believe in your right to wear what you want

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-03-10 23:35 ]</font>

Hi Firefox, maybe you should wear some lower heels when shootng pictures walking, you wobble the camera. Or maybe shoot the pictures before you got to the bar. Sorry, LOL

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I can attest to this my real friends, the one's you socalise with, yeah, we all wear heels just mine tend to be a generally an inch or so higher. Oh and Luc the fact he might be doing a bit of undercover work might explain the gitters. B) Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I have never experienced this female bonding through heels with friends. With my mother, yes, but she doesn't wear heels anymore. Her back cannot handle it, though it is not exactly related to wearing heels for many years. I will say that it looks like I am going higher than she did, and she is concerned abuot my future heel wearing health. She would like me to be in heels for a long time, but at the same time, does not wish me to wear heels all of the time. Strange, isn't it. I suppose I need more friends in order to find people who like wearing heels. They will wear heels, but they do not wear them very often. I go grocery shopping in four inch heels, not many other people would do this.

Luc, it is a matchbox camera, and I am walking briskly too to keep up :smile: It's not going to be the quality of some TV report! I remember a time at another job a few years ago. We had two secretaries. One of them started wearing 4" to work and the other one soon followed. This went on for a couple of months but they soon both reverted back to flatter heels. It was nice while it lasted, but I don't think it was coincidence.

Birds of a feather flock together. :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-11 05:52 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hiya Laurie, Grocery shopping in heels, well I always do this in heels and often in 5 inch, 4" the lowest I wear anyhow. I suppose there are not that many others. So you got a friend here just there's a lot of water between where you are and I am. Inga :smile:

Hope you've got plenty of money, suntan cream, sunglasses etc. Does you're employer have a branch in Aust, if so then you could come here to live permanently, not much snow except in the Aust Alps for about 3 months of the year, non in the cities, perfect for year round HH wearing. Inga :smile:

Heels can without a doubt help you bond with women and quite often you end up forming new friendships via this common interest. My best friend is also a hh wearer and we know if all else fails we can always go out shoe shopping to chear ourselves up :smile: jo-jo xx

Don't ask me how I walk in them just try a pair

Heels for sure created some bondings between a lot of guys on this board, certainly after our 2 Euroheel meets.

Firefox, those comments higher were only for teasing, I know your camera, I could only see it when I had my glasses on. Your reply was the best prove that with some training heels do not restrict the pace you can achieve. I know you are very steady in yours.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-03-11 15:36 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 4 weeks later...

I have never found shoes to be much of a bonding thing for my life. Most, if not all of my female friends preferred sneakers or flat shoes to heels. They usually thought I had, dare I even type it, too many shoes in the first place. I guess it depends on the women. I have found to get along better with men on the whole anyway. It's kind of interesting, as my male friends will notice my new shoes or dress, and will show more interest than my female friends. In my experience, my male friends are more honest and not in competition as females can be... (Not trying to offend anyone, just my point of view!!)

So many shoes, so little time...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your opinions. I can't say heels are a bonding thing amongst guys because my male friends, for the most part, steadfastly ignore them. However, it's definitely brought me closer to female friends who wear them. From that, I'm forced to conclude that heels are a bonding thing between heel wearers, which is why we are all here. When two girls get together, which is the most likely scenario, there's got to be a thing there, even if they are not huge heel fans, and some of it is subconcious. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-23 10:01 ]</font>

My sister cannot understand why I wear heels. She has been curious, and she tried my stilettos, and she thinks my feet must be damaged every day. Hey, they are not for her, but they work for me. But it is a bonding thing for myself and my mother, at least. Mom may think I need to go easy, but she understands why I wear the highest heels. She even talks about how she did that when she was younger, especially in Denmark.

I also have several friends who are high heel wearers, and often we go on a shopping tour to shop for nice shoes. I buy way too many shoes. But it's just so much fun. Occasionaly there have been some women who asked if the heels i was wearing were comfortable and where i got them. And also on some parties women complimented me because of them. So i do think it can be a bonding thing. Maybe the same as with guys and their cars or so.

Susan, you're right that the answers may vary, but in that sense, each answer will provide insight, and a general theory can be created. There may be commonalities in the responses. Certainly shoes are a bonding point between my mother and myself. Even when she may worry about my new leopard print stiletto sandals, she still has a mischevious look on her face, because they are what she would have worn at my age or younger. I am sure she had a pair. The simple answer, I believe, is yes, heels can provide a bond between women. Where it goes after that will vary, as you say. Every story is different, but then, that is what makes us all so very interesting!

OK, if the basic premise is accepted, given certain circumstances, can anyone think of another item of apparel/appearence which is held in the same regard as heels. This is a biased sample to ask, I admit, but let's be as objective as we can. Maybe hair I suppose. I'm just guessing here...

I never thought of that! The problem with undergarments is I suppose that they are not on show, so while you could talk about it to somone you know, you couldn't spot each other at a party so to speak. Unless you were both wearing your bra outside. Now that would be a common bond :smile:

I don't live in a city where a bra can be worn and show more than a bit of strap. It's too freakishly cold! But I suppose a bra covered by a sheer blouse might make it interesting, and I have done this before. I've been told not to wear that particular blouse to work. Ooops! Funny, my mother and I own the same style blouse for that, but in different colours. Okay, so there is another common bond

Work has rules, and being seen by the public, especially narrow minded people, can lead to trouble. And let's not mention the drunks and elderly men who leer at young women! Sometimes, one has to dress with a bit of a defensive style. Funny, as this does pertain to the subject. At work, a few of us can bond over this issue as well. We are careful about not letting the drunks and perves see something they shouldn't, and in a way, it brings us together, making us better friends with shared experiences.

Hair, jewelry, and nails in no particular order. To me the appearance of my hair and hands is more important than my feet or shoes. Conversations during a luncheon or something of the sort are much more likely to touch on these three rather than shoes. Susan If this comes up anonymous, I was forced to it. There is no option for a password.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, my mother was over and visiting before my date. My stilettos were out in my room. She looked down the hall as she was leaving, saw them, and said "Oh I had higher than that when I was younger". Almost as if to taunt me and still show she's the Mom and still my better. Bonding thing for certain.

Laurie, if you ever get the time, and can get past the first few pages, you might enjoy reading "Conjure Wife" by Fritz Leiber, written back in about 1951. If you do, you'll understand why I suggested it.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks