Shoe fashions the US compared to europe..

gaijin gig

Well, I wouldn't want to offend anyone from the States just for the sake of it, but seeing as you've specifically asked: To my eye (speaking personally), US shoes and boots often look a bit more clumpy/clunky/frumpy than their European equivalents. Stodgily designed uppers, heels often a little thick and lacking in finesse and an overall lack of flow in the lines. The Italians have always been the masters of sleek, elegant style, with beautifully slim, elegant stiletto heels, low-cut toes and upper-sides, elegant toe-shapes and an overall sleekness of style and flowing line. As artists and designers, they are just born with that subtle magic touch! As you might expect, in accordance with the geography, the UK designers and manufacturers produce shoes and boots that fall somewhere in the middle between the US and Italy. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Being an italian, I am proud of being addressed as an artist and designer. :( I agree that italian shoes are probably the best made and designed. I like english brands too. Don't forget that Choo's and Blahnik's are designed in the UK, even if they are made in Italy, like many other good british (and french, and american) brands such as Gina, Beatrix Ong, Brian Atwood, etc. I quite like some spanish and brazilian brands too. See Fluxa and Arezzo for example. But if the question was about trends in different countries, it seems that in times of globalization they all tend to be quite similar, even if some differences still persist. Don't say I'm nationalist if I think that most foreign shoes and boots look like last season italian models.

My opinion coincides with FF's. You can buy almost any brand of shoes in the better shoe stores here in the USA. Especially in the larger department stores and up-scale stores in NYC, as well as their outlets in other large cities around the country. Fashions are really much more widely coordinated these days than they have been in the past. French, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian, etc. designed and manufactured shoes are readily available almost anywhere.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes, agreed Firefox and Bubba, But I wasn't talking about where they end up being sold (which seems now to be fairly global) but where they are originally designed and made. Therefore comparing national styles by origin (and not where they end up being retailed), I stick to my original above opinion, and Styletto appears to agree with me. Cheefully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Don't say I'm nationalist if I think that most foreign shoes and boots look like last season italian models.

That's because they usually are! :(

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Then I have to agree with you. It seems that nationalities based on latin heritage -- Italian, spanish, and perhaps French (although not exclusively latin in origin) -- have a "keener eye" and flair for feminine fashions.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.