What was your experience on eBay?

I am curious about everyone's success at selling your shoes on eBay? Several years ago, I bought my wife a beautiful pair of red, fetish pumps (just plain court shoes, but 7" heel). I love the shoes, but they are a little tight on her now. I don't want to sell them to just anybody (I want a special buyer) and I can't let them sell for a cheap price. I bought them from a company in western Canada and they are no longer in business. I would buy them in a minute if I could get them in a slightly larger size. What was your experience with selling your shoes? Did you get many bids? Did they sell at a price that you wanted? Please let me know...

Actually, my post was a prelude to selling this particular pair of heels, possibly to another hhplace member. I am a newbie here and didn't want to just jump in and offend anyone. I understand that you are you are one of the people who keep this site on-track, so thank you for your guidance.

I personally haven't had good success selling high heels purged from my collection on eBay. But I have heard and read that many members here have had good success with eBay. I have had success selling some other items on eBay.

• 5 weeks later...

My experience selling (and buying) shoes on eBay has been pretty positive. The last time I sold shoes was about 3 years ago and I got over $1000 for 30 pair. Some of the shoes were pretty cheap to begin with and others were pretty worn, so there were several pair that I sold for less than $10. Others I sold were either new or lightly worn and those sold better. In fact I had three or four pair that I bought at an outlet for less than $30 that sold for over $75 each. So you never know what you are going to get for anything until you try.

My advice is to:

• Sell multiple pair at the same time.
  • Offer combined or discounted shipping for multiple purchases.
  • Stagger the end times of each auction about 3 -5 minutes.
  • Be sure to end auctions at a decent time for multiple time zones (I end mine around 9:30 PM to 10:30 PM Eastern Time so it will be a decent time on the West Coast.)
  • Take good pictures and show multiple views, especially the bottoms.
  • Include the heel height and width across the balls of the foot (Actually measure, don't guess and use standard measurements for heel size (Back of the sole to the ground...I hate when people describe a 3 1/2" heel as a 5" heel, which is common on eBay and HHPlace as well...Measure the platform when applicable and subtract that from the heel height)
  • Sell Internationally. I have sold shoes to Australia and customers have paid over $35 in shipping and were happy.
  • Charge a reasonable shipping cost - enough where you don't lose money and not enough where you scare people away.
  • Be honest and realistic when setting a price. Do a little research on comparable brands, styles, etc.
  • Tell a story about your shoes - why you have them where you have worn them, etc.
  • Larger sizes - US11 and over tend to sell much better. In fact I have seen the same shoe in a 12 sell for as much as 100% more than a size 11.
  • Use Auctiva to show the other items you have for sale.
  • Post a link to the shoes you are selling in the High Heels for Sale section of HHPlace ( and don't forget to donate some of your proceeds to the maintenance of the board.)
I have found that selling shoes on eBay gets me back between 25-50% of what I paid for them, which more or less allows me to "rent" my heels. I will be listing again in the Spring.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Style is built from the ground up!