Are men oppressed in Fashion?

terayon

Bert: I'd have rolled up my pant leg to let everyone get a really good look, and next, I'd have asked the guy with the flashlight to shine it on two of the ugliest women I'd ever seen. :smile: It's also true that alcohol usually amplifies a person's mood prior to drinking, and these two probably stumbled near a mirror before having a few! Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about the incident as a bunch of drunk people would have likely laughed just as hard if the light were shined on someone wearing sneakers. In fact, I'll bet more than half of the people that laughed couldn't tell what was supposed to be so funny, but didn't want anyone else to know they didn't "get it" by not laughing. That's typical in bars. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

This kind of thing is none to unusual, I've been "treated" to it quite a few times. As we have this high heel affliction we shouldn't be supprised when someone takes off on it. Anything different is a target.

On 2002-04-28 00:35, Slim wrote:

As we have this high heel affliction we shouldn't be supprised when someone takes off on it.

This just reminded me of (IIRC) Oscar Wilde's famous comment. When he was asked how long he'd suffered from homosexuality, he replied that he'd always rather enjoyed it.

Don't know about anyone else, but that's the kind of attitude I'm working on :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 3 years later...

In New York State it is now a crime to talk on a cellular phone while driving a car unless you have a "hands free" device.

And yes. Men are oppressed when it comes to fashion. Both by society and designers and it really sucks.

Yahoo! New York has a brain! I wish Ontario did. Give me a high powered rifle to take care of the people on cell phones while working on their laptops and driving SUVs. Drinking coffee and smoking in addition to the above is really not adding much distraction.... Eating cereal - now that's committment! :-) A bowl AND a spoon! Let the passenger handle the steering wheel.

Yes, men are oppressed and limited in what we can wear. That's obvious to anyone who can either see or think. There are a few things promoting this - us by not wearing what we want, and peer pressure from other men (and some women) who see it as a weakness/feminine.

On the weakness point - this has to be considered more gender bias because men AND WOMEN see it as a weakness to dress like a woman. Why does what you wear determine your worth as a man or woman? Is it purely the shortsightedness of designers and the general masses (they aren't called the "unwashed" for nothing) or is it something else? Is it a way to hold men down, to subjugate them to the will of women ( :-) ) or generally oppress them? Is it a way to cause men stress and kill them early so women can inherit their wealth? :D I know I've had lots of stress lately over wanting to wear things but can't because of various reasons. Argh!

Good luck to those brighter than me and those more courageous than me to work out a solution.

• 3 months later...

I think men are definitely repressed fashion-wise. I dress mostly in male-type clothes, but I'm perfectly free to do so - I can wear BDUs, a male-cut shirt, and combat boots without the majority people automatically making the snap judgement that I'm a lesbian [which I am not] Men can't dress outside their gender, or even wear certain things IN their gender [tight t-shirts, flare jeans even if made for a man] without a lot of people making a judgement about their sexuality. Women can wear clothes of either gender, men are restricted to a few basic styles in their clothes gender. Fair? I didn't think so. Of course, I've seen some very tasteless crossdressing and people 'doing it just to do it' If a man dresses in women's clothing, that's no reason for him not to follow the basics of aesthetic.

• 1 month later...

. . .I am soooooo ANGRY with all this f@@king SPAM!!!

Then Fight It! There is a "Report Spam Here" thread right on top of the "Hellos, Goodbyes, and General Announcements" forum. Only about a half-dozen of us post there and we flag the URL's of these spam posts. Instructions for how to do it are here: http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/viewtopic.php?p=114894#114894. Once flagged, spam does not stay for long, usually less than a day. Our posse of spam-killing moderators log in regularly and sweep it away. Complaining about it here in the threads does nothing.

Have a happy time!