Online Photo Depot

Due to the misuse of the photo storage at http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/ I will be putting some blocks into effect next Monday.

This site will be the only site that will be able to access the images directory. Therefore, this site will be the only site that can link to the photos.

If anyone has any issues/complaints, please say them here, or private message me.

It should be quite clear. Bpalma asked that only this site should use the facility presumably to preclude it's use for large scale storage and misusing the bandwidth. People can't take this generous offer at face value, and respect that wish so they have to misuse it by linking the pis from elsewhere. Well, anybody that does that is equivelant to the person who goes into a shop and steals the produce because no one is looking. Bandwidth and hosting costs money. So he has had to introduce some addtional checks. People here are lucky he hasn't pulled it altogether so can we please respect his instructions?

While I can't speak for everyone, I wonder just how many people here are ignorant of the fact of just what hot linking is and why it should be avoided. I posted an explanation in other communities and groups that I belong to. I was surprised that most of the members there did not understand just how hot linking steals bandwidth. Since I want to give everyone here the benefit of the doubt, I will post my detailed explanation in a new thread.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

While I do fully understand all of the issues, I do know that there are some people that do not. Additionally, it is possible that some people have found the image upload site by chance and used it without even being aware that it was in some way associated with this site. Some users may not have even ever been here. To make things crystal clear, can I suggest that a note is added to the upload form on the image site to say that this is the only site that is allowed to link to it, and that all other inbound links will be non-functional.

Images for inclusion in threads are fine along with avatar pics as I understand it, so long as the content is linked to from this board. Posting or "hot linking", if you prefer to call it that, from other boards, chat or websites is not in the terms of use Bpalma set down originally.

Some people are reporting problems with some images loading in the hhplace forum., for example in: http://www.hhplace.org/hhboard/viewtopic.php?t=2254

I have noticed that images appear in threads OK for most of the time. However, sometimes in a long thread there may be times where I want to only view one image. In that case, I like to right click the image, and then copy the image location to the browser address bar, load just that image, and then view it that way. This no longer works, as it always gives a 403 Permission Denied error message.

I've diagnosed this myself now. It was the discussion over pop-ups and cookies that was the clue. My pop-up & cookie manager has the referrer commands set on removed. This block on my identity has set the image to block me back in return. The images that worked OK were the ones already in the browser cache on my hard drive and any new ones this week were blocked. So I only need to uncheck the selection as and when I need it, just a pity that this is something I never needed to fiddle with before. Anyone else blocking referrer commands will get this problem with the uploaded images. /I

/I

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we have had some people abusng this service and posting links to pictures on this server at other places besides hhplace.org, contrary to what we asked. Without going into too many technical details, this could cost bpalmatv some real life cash. For those of you struggling to understand this, suppose you said you would offer to pay for your friend at a meal but then he brought 10 friends along too and gave you a bill for $200 and said he hoped it would be OK, would you feel pissed off or what? The places where other people are posting pictures elsewhere are being monitored and if you do so, and the person doing so is identified with this board, you will be banned and the membership/future mebership of this board terminated. This is possible though the use of server logs and ip addresses. Bpalma has kindly agreed to make the recent restrictions on his service more selective but as part of this process, the places where pictures are called from his server will be monitored closely. If you get banned from this board for abuse, don't say you haven't been warned.