Men/Womens Sandals

new_look

I read with interest the section on nail polish for men. Although ive never tried it there was a few interesting topics i would like to relate to. In partucular men wearing womens sandals. I would wear womens sandals under jeans or trousers as some women generally do, but i would be afraid to show more. I dont think my hairly legs would attribute an acceptable look in womens sandals and i didnt have and shaving intentions. What do you lads (if any) wear your sandals out with. That is assuming of course that we arent following the usualy rule to try and hide heels as im sure a heeled sandal fully exposed on a man would be unmissable

I read with interest the section on nail polish for men. Although ive never tried it there was a few interesting topics i would like to relate to. In partucular men wearing womens sandals.

I would wear womens sandals under jeans or trousers as some women generally do, but i would be afraid to show more. I dont think my hairly legs would attribute an acceptable look in womens sandals and i didnt have and shaving intentions.

What do you lads (if any) wear your sandals out with. That is assuming of course that we arent following the usualy rule to try and hide heels as im sure a heeled sandal fully exposed on a man would be unmissable

Hi, Daz!

Two thoughts.

First, people should feel free to wear whatever the heck they want to wear!

Second, just because someone exercises that freedom doesn't make it fasionably appealing.

Don't believe me? Come to Vegas in December, visit one of the Station Casionos, and see what most of the winter motorhome gambling crowd ladies 50 and older are wearing. Some know fashion. Most don't.

Similarly, a pair of black leather boots with either a block or tapered heel (block at top, 1/4-sized block or other shape at the bottom), looks just fine under a pair of blue/black jeans, or even black, khaki, charcoal, or off-white slacks.

And it doesn't produce what we call a "gender-f***." That's where someone obviously of one gender also exhibits something obviously of another gender. Seeing both breasts and a beard on the same individual falls into that category. Seeing a guy in tasteful heels, even sandals, does not have the same effect on the general population. That effect is more commonly called a "gender-bender." It's simply crossing society's commonly-held conceptions concerning dress.

Many men's black leather sandals have narrower straps. A similar ladies sandal with a full-sized, 2" heel will escape all but the closest scrutiny. Increase it to a 3" tapered heel, and it begins to look a little funny on most guys, although wearing longer and darker pants goes a long way in toning it down.

I once wore a pair of 3-1/2" ladies sandals beneath long, black slacks, and it didn't turn any heads. Then again, except for the heel, they looked a lot like many men's sandals.

Consider the following three examples - which one would turn more heads when worn beneath a pair of standard blue jeans?

Exhibit A:

Posted Image

Exhibit B:

Posted Image

Exhibit C:

Posted Image

If you were to wear Exhibit B beneath a pair of long black slacks, it would attract the same or less attention than Exhibit A worn with blue jeans.

Regardless of how you slice it, though, Exhibit C will definately get noticed, not that people will do much more than look at you sort of funny...

If you're from warmer climates, and will be showing more leg, however, consider wearing a sandal with a block heel.

Personally, I wear sandals during the warmer months, and boots when it gets colder. But I usually wear long pants - even in the summer. If I wear shorts, I throw on a pair of plain old running shoes.

Hi Guys, Love this topic, and just have to throw my two cents in. I have been wearing flat womens sandals since a teenager (in my 40's now), and have NEVER had a problem. I also wear clear nail polish and it's no big deal, except that my feet/toes look better when in sandals. For the past 4 years, I have been also wearing womens sandals in public with a 2 or 3 inch heel. Usually I get no reaction to the heels either - well occasionally a stare or smile - sometimes even a compliment. I wear the heels as a guy with denim or cotton pants, the heel is not that much concealed, as a matter of fact, it is pretty obvious for someone who is looking at shoes/feet. I have 7 pairs of heeled sandals, and two are almost identical to "a" and "b," I also have another pair that looks like "c" but with a block heel. I spent a week in Palm Springs last month an wore only heeled sandals, it was great! OK... That's my 2 cents!! I'm done!!! SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I think that the main thing that makes people look at sandals on a guy is exposed toes. Apart from at the beach, it is very rare for a man to wear open footwear. It is probably the flash of toes that first gets you noticed as being different, and then only after that, comes the recognition that what you are wearing isn't typically male footwear.

Footnote: I have several pairs like c, but never wear them outside. I always wear something with closed toes when out.

SF, It is good to hear that it works for you. I thought that this summer I have been seeing a lot more guys with exposed toes. I saw a lot of guys with flip flops, even on the street. I like the idea of clear nail polish. WIll try it. Just go to convince my SO.

although not reall into the styles like 'c', i wouldnt mind wearing some sort of wedges. for some reason im quite fond of the cork ones. I like many types of sandal, but not really so much into what looks to be a pretty shoe. defines the point of msculine heels then. Although i agree block heels would be more suited, id still like to be getting away with a 4.5in + stiletto sandal daz

I don't wear sandals but if I did then I'd definitely shave my legs and get a pedicure or do some sort of nail polish. Nothing looks worse than sandals with socks or with manky feet. If you have a problem with shaving your legs then think of it this way; you shave your face so what's the difference? It's all in the mind. My personal vote would be for exhibit B by the way. Those would fit in best with my style, or lack thereof :(

Yeah those roman type ones with buckles and worn with socks are zero street cred, but something more stylish with heels would certainly be different. I wear mules with open toes sometimes in the summer. but I don't like sandals generally. The straps can dig in unless they ae very well suited to your foot.

Oh dear, I get 'zero points' twice over from FF. :rofl: I don't shave my face and I am rarely parted from my sandals. Not unknown is picking my way through 6ins of snow in them!! Mind you with global warming, that is only once per decade in inner London these days. /I

/I

I think that the main thing that makes people look at sandals on a guy is exposed toes. Apart from at the beach, it is very rare for a man to wear open footwear.

I see you're from the UK! No wonder it's uncommon. Isn't it a bit cooler over there?

Here in Las Vegas, men's sandals on men are very common. I've seen a lot of sandals on men in places like San Diego and Key West, as well.

But your weather is more like Washington DC, and there's not a lot of men who wear sandals, there.

Women's sandals on men are not at all common here in Vegas - in the last three years I've only seen one or two. I wear them in the summers, but only with longer pants. In short pants I wear men's sandals.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy wearing womens sandals and this past summer I found a pair that I realy liked. They had a 2 inch block heel, were a deep red T strap thong with a sling back. They had a silver buckle on the outside of the strap. I told myself it was to make them more masculine. I would find time during the work day to stroll on a downtown side street trying to look like nothing was unusual, but of course some people would notice. Like a guy in 2 inch heeled thong sandals is an everyday sight! One day my cel phone rang so I stepped off the sidewalk between 2 cars so I wouldn't be as obvious while I took the call. A woman walked by as I was finishing the call and said" What's that? Aren't those woman's shoes?" I said, "No they're mine." but she was curious as to why I wore them. I told her they were comfortable and I liked them. She said she couldn't wear that type for very long and asked if I could. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to wear them anywhere for any length of time. As hard as I try to not be noticed, it's the thrill of someone, especially a female, actually commenting on the fact that I am wearing shoes designed for a woman. I enjoyed this summer but now with the cold weather here, they are put away for several months.

Most of us, when starting our streetheeling are desperate that no-one should notice. The real test that you have become a truly seasoned street-heeler is when you find yourself becoming desperate if someone DOESN'T notice! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Most of us, when starting our streetheeling are desperate that no-one should notice. The real test that you have become a truly seasoned street-heeler is when you find yourself becoming desperate if someone DOESN'T notice!

Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Hear here!

I don't think that that I'd have enough neck to wear stiletto sandals unless I was in full femme mode, yet I can wear stiletto thigh boots outside my trousers without any care at all! Isn't that weird?

Moreover, I love it when people stare, Ruth hates it!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

it is a bit wierd. i on the other hand would llike to wear stiletto sandals more than the thighs, but then again i cant say the thigh highs are my sort of pick. I noticed that you were like lightning off the markk with the little black girl who appeared to take the piss out of us. Fast thinking to set her straight! the memory will hold with me and your lines remembered for future use. Daz

Like Daz, thigh boots don't really grab me, and I'd be more likely to wear sandals. Yet as Dr Shoe says, he's more into closed toe styles. Even though we wear heels, our preferences are quite marked in certain directions. It's llike the big white line down the shoe shop in microcosm.

In the summer I usually wear women's flat sandals and something I invented call a footlet:

Scotty

Hi, Scotty.

Uhhh... Unless you invented it prior to 1982, you probably the first, as that's the first time I saw one (on a girl, that is). My wife is an artist, and does a lot of bead stuff (including earrings) on the side, so I've been wearing "footlets" (I call them anklets) for about four years.

No worries, though - many societies simultaneously invented "pierced ears" simply because the earlobe is a relatively painless yet visible and aesthetic site to pierce.

And yes, your sis has a much nicer foot...

Like Daz, thigh boots don't really grab me, and I'd be more likely to wear sandals. Yet as Dr Shoe says, he's more into closed toe styles. Even though we wear heels, our preferences are quite marked in certain directions. It's llike the big white line down the shoe shop in microcosm.

Ah, yes, the thing that gives us individuality - choice.

I love the looko of a spaghetti-strap sandal on my SO, but not on me. And the comfort level is way below that of a good boot.

But at home I'd rather wear 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" two-strap slides. Easy on, easy off, great with a skirt, and I can walk without cringing in pain from an old soccer injury!

Viva la differance!

Hi, Scotty.

Uhhh... Unless you invented it prior to 1982, you probably the first, as that's the first time I saw one (on a girl, that is). My wife is an artist, and does a lot of bead stuff (including earrings) on the side, so I've been wearing "footlets" (I call them anklets) for about four years.

Hey Gene,

Your right, I used the word "invent" when I should have said made. I didn't find instructions on "how" to make it but rather through trial and error (mostly error), I came up with a design that worked. If someone else also made the same "design", it was more GMTA (Great Minds Think Alike). As far as the concept of the footlet, yes I have seen them before I made them, however the ones I have seen were chain (I think they call them slave anklets) not hemp/beads. I wasn't sure if the wording was "footlet" but that is something I invented. Again, if I used a word that was already being used to describe it, it was by pure accident.

And yes, your sis has a much nicer foot...

I also could not agree with you more on that point!

Hey Gene,

Your right, I used the word "invent" when I should have said made. I didn't find instructions on "how" to make it but rather through trial and error (mostly error), I came up with a design that worked. If someone else also made the same "design", it was more GMTA (Great Minds Think Alike). As far as the concept of the footlet, yes I have seen them before I made them, however the ones I have seen were chain (I think they call them slave anklets) not hemp/beads. I wasn't sure if the wording was "footlet" but that is something I invented. Again, if I used a word that was already being used to describe it, it was by pure accident.

I also could not agree with you more on that point!

Well, you know what, though? I thought they looked pretty good!

GMTA is definately alive and well in this world... Too bad the patent lawyers feel they're compelled to crack down on every TDH (Tom, Dick, and Harry) that likes to make their own widgets. If the patent lawyers had been around during 14th century, we wouldn't have clocks. And without clocks, we wouldn't have a means of determining local sideral hour. And without local sidereal hour, Columbus would have failed to predetermine the great expanse (Lief simply threw caution to the wind and went!). And without Columbus we wouldn't have had the colonies. Without the colonies, England would have remained a minor power (since the colonies spurred their own world explorations). Without Englad rising to power, the colonies would have remained Spanish or French.

And without the colonies being English, I wouldn't be here!

So, it's a good thing GMTA, and damn the patent lawyers to hell!

BTW, the one's my wife made are from black leather "strings" about the same width as thickness of the leather. She braids and beads (sparingly on the beads) the leather in a way that says "sandal" but lets you walk barefooted.

Many's the time I was accepted into a fine Vegas restaurant wearing nothing on my feet but footlets. A couple of times I caught the maitre' di' (?) looking for a sole, but simply asked him, "do you like my sandals? The fine, natural leather bottoms are exceptionally comfortable."

They invariably stop looking at my "sandals" and begin looking at me while saying something like, "oh, yes - they're quite nice" before either chatting pleasantries or looking to meet the needs of another customer.

Regardless, I began walking barefoot in the Spring of my freshman year in college, in part because I loved summer, and in part to ward off the blues of Winter.

"Nothing like a long barefoot path to while the time..." - Gene'