15 year old in news for wearing heels to school

CassieJ

Got this today in the "This Is True" news feed...

FASHIONABLE: Sam Saurs, 15, of Port Orchard, Wash., told his mother he

didn't think wearing high heels would be too difficult. Her challenging

response: try it for a day. He accepted her challenge, and went one

further: he said he would also wear a dress. "I was pretty," Sam said,

but when he showed up at school, officials at Sedgwick Junior High

School got ugly: they suspended him for the remainder of the school

year. His mother said the school's action was "offensive" since the

student handbook doesn't disallow dresses or heels. School officials

backed down -- a little: they reduced the suspension to three days, but

still banned him from the ninth-grade dance. Sam is defiant. "If

anything," he said, "it makes me want to be more out there and more

spontaneous and crazy." (RC/KING-TV) ...That kid is going to go far --

but he may hobble.

Found the following news articles about it...

http://woxmobile.com/chengdu/m_news_msg.php?titleid=923

http://ishallbeatoad.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/high-heels-hurt-my-feet-but-they-never-got-me-suspended/

http://www.king5.com/news/local/high-heels-challenge-with-mom-suspended-124090989.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43445423/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/?gt1=43001

More on Google but mostly reprints of the same story.

I give props to the 15-year-old for having the confidence to wear what he wanted to school - too bad the schools nowadays just love crushing self-expression into a fine-grade powder.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I give props to the 15-year-old for having the confidence to wear what he wanted to school - too bad the schools nowadays just love crushing self-expression into a fine-grade powder.

The schools used to just let your classmates pound all the self-expression out of you. I take it that with all the hubbub about bullying, they can't delegate like that anymore.

The schools used to just let your classmates pound all the self-expression out of you. I take it that with all the hubbub about bullying, they can't delegate like that anymore.

They are just using the societal programming that sez they have the right to make others do what somebody else wants them to do, which takes away one's agency to choose from their own desires. If we want to stop bullying, the social standards need to be revised to respect people and acknowledge our personal rights to choose what we want to wear, pursue, and do as long as other people's agency isn't diminished or usurped.

It's obvious he come's from a loving house hold, that encourages such expressions. His mom has this sexy betty paige thing going on, and like the news eel shows, he's always wearing crazy stuff anyway. I think more parents should be so encouraging of self expression. Maybe if kids were let to show their individuality a little more they'd stop turing to drugs and crap or growing up to be little sh.... poops!

After reading these articles, I can't help but think that his punishment was a bit harsh. I don't know all the details; school dress code, his reaction to authority, etc... but initially suspended for the rest of the year? Then still being suspended for 3 days and other activities? This is wrong in my opinion. I can see him being sent home to change to avoid further distraction, and that would be my only argument. Other than that, seeing what my niece and her friends wear t school at that age, I can't imagine a boy in a dress and heels would be that big of a deal.