She An Me

benno

Does anyone know about She An Me the fetish brand from Brompton Road, Kensington in London? I just received a pair of amazing 5.5 inch black patent ankle strap heels from a lucky bid on Ebay. I thought the shoes looked really vintage and took a chance bidding £13 for them. They look like they are from the early 80s but lots of these types of companies didn't change anything over the years their shoes were in production. Se the attached dodgy photos from the Ebay listing. I vaguely remember the company existed... I wonder if anyone here knows more. They look like they could have been made by someone like The Little Shoe Box. They have 'Made In England' stamped on the soles. Cheers and thanks in advance, Ben

post-9545-133522936557_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522936559_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522936561_thumb.jpg

I remember the store very well. One of the first of my regular haunts as a young adult so the time period would have been the early to mid 80's. 111 Brompton Street with a red canopy over the shop window. They did indeed stock LSB made shoes, and were one of the only stores in London to sell ballet boots from the LSB, albeit on an "order for manufacture" basis which meant you waited a couple of months for them. Judging from the photos, I would say that you have found a bargain indeed. That pair would have sold for around £50 even in those days.

I can remember them as being a mecca for me. sadly, I never got the chance to make the pilgrimage. Those do indeed look like LSB shoes though.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks guys, I'm still not sure if I want to keep them or resell them on Ebay. I originally was going to resell them but I have a soft spot for Eighties heels so may keep them for a while and then sell them. I think that with a really good set of photos, a much better description (including the brand name) and a good start/finish time they could fetch quite a bit of dosh as they are size 8 UK. They are really comfortable and much easier to walk in than other heels of similar height. Decisions, decisions...

Benno I purchased several pair of She-an-Me shoes years ago. Great quality. I still have all the shoes I ever bought from them. I have a pair that were custom made there. Blue w/ a 6" high heel. Very comfortable. I still have Booklets and Literature that shows the shoes and clothing they offered. I am glad to hear some of their stuff is still around. Not counting what I have. Mike

The shop has changed a lot over the years. It had a huge shoe section in the late 1990s, and sold a large range of clothing too. It was certainly catering to the TV/CD crowd. I'm not sure who the range of shoes was made by, but I'd guess LSB or Leatherworks. Several ladies ran the shop, and the window display always featured some of the highest heels imaginable. The shop changed hands several times, first some Scandinavian staff, then other people, then the downstairs part closed. In more recent times it was bought out by a chain of "adult" shops, and the product range changed somewhat. Haven't been there for several years now. I have only ever known it at 123 Hammersmith Road. Is 111 Brompton Road their old address, a different shop, or poor memory? :silly: Recently, the name has changed to Simply Pleasure, reflecting the change of product line. There was one other shop in London selling LSB ballet boots in the late 1990s. Can't remember the name (it had ".com" in it, on the sign over the door). It was in or just off Peter Street in Soho, with the shop on 2 levels, one downstairs. From memory, there was a Spar or similar on the other corner.

No Jo, it was my memory that was faulty. It was 123 and not 111. I've been trying to wrack my brain as to the name of the store in Soho for several days as well. That was another of my regular stopping off places in London.

As it happens, I found myself on the District Line heading back into Central London late last night. With a bit of time in hand, it was a simple matter to get off at West Kensington and walk the short distance along North End Road, turn left at the corner, and take a quick peek through their window. Nothing much worth the visit, a few rails of cheap lingerie and a wall of R18 videos and DVDs. It's just an "adult" shop now. I was back on the tube only minutes later.

I used to go to She An Me regularly when I worked in Hammersmith. I seem to remember the shop was owned by someone called Rod. The girls who worked there were fantastic - they usually dressed in fetish wear themselves. The manageress was a very well endowed girl who showed off her assets. They let me dress there in the lovely fetish and of course those fabulous thigh boots they sold. I got to know them very well, and sometimes they would ring me at work and ask me to do some off job around the place, like mending a fuse or fixing a shelf. Doing those jobs while wearing pvc and thigh boots was wonderful! I remember helping one of the girls celebrate her birthday in the time-honoured way, the 2 of us in fetish in one of the changing rooms... And I was there when they said the shop was being sold, which was a sad time for us all. We all dressed in fetish and high heels and had a fabulous party in the shop, and the girls made my fantasies about them come true...

• 2 weeks later...