shoe sizing

pj22

As a secretive male heel wearer, I purchase heels online. I didn't realize the discrepency in sizing and have gotten a couple of heels that were too small. Is there a place here on this forum or elsewhere online where information about which manufacturers shoes run true to size and which ones ron smaller or larger?

Hi pj22,happens all the time to us women too. I dont know how many shoe Ive sent back. The best thing I have found is to find a brand that fits you and stick with that brand for other styles because theyll usally fit pretty much the same. I lile to buy online from Zappos because there is alot of reviews of the shoes and how they fit.Hope that helps ......... Barbara

You will generally find that continental sizes will be more accurate. If you know you normally take a 43 then you can be rest assured that a 43 will fit you regardless who makes it. Beware of firms who use UK or US sizes then "convert" to continental, they are rarely accurate.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi pj22,happens all the time to us women too. I dont know how many shoe Ive sent back. The best thing I have found is to find a brand that fits you and stick with that brand for other styles because theyll usally fit pretty much the same. I lile to buy online from Zappos because there is alot of reviews of the shoes and how they fit.Hope that helps ......... Barbara

Unfortunately, Zappos only Ship to the US and some of it's Territories.

I find the same problems. I have many stories to tell of Ebay Sellers claiming to know their shoe sizes - and then sending shoes that are either a) way too small or :) too big....and even c) clearly marked as a different size on the soles! Most 'amateur' shoe sellers haven't got a clue.

My suggestion is to EMail the Company or Seller and ask them for the measurements of the Length and Width (at the ball of foot) of the shoe. That way you can find out if they will fit you or not.

Also, as Dr. Shoe says, European Sizes are usually more accurate.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I too was burned a long time ago buy high heels through the mail. I just don't do it any more unless I am very familiar with the brand of shoe and how they fit me and even then that's sort of a crap shoot. That's why I try them on in the store so that I know they will fit correctly. I normally wear a size 12 in feminine shoes, but I have some size 11's and two pairs that are size 10 that fit fine. Good luck.

Shoe sizing also depends on the type of toe box. If pointed and almonded, it is probably better to get the larger. The round and oval usally fit as posted, but even then this is a shot in the dark, if you aren't familiar with the brand, the seller, the materials, and/or the shoe styling. I saw some Mary Jane heels with rounded toe boxes that looked fantastic and they looked as though my toes had plenty of room to move, but the tightness of the vamp made them unwearable for me at least. Some shoes can be stretched, but the construction made it so tight, even stretching the material at the vamp wouldn't have been enough. It would probably develop weak points which would be more apt to tear apart, rendering the shoes unacceptable to wear.