Guy in heels..a non-sighting report

wood&metal

I was talking to a customer today who had been to Boston over the past weekend.. Some one was making a "gay" joke or whatever (I just don't pay much attention the the homophobes because I know damn well that the homophobes are the most likely to be caught in a public restroom soliciting sex...but anyway...), when the customer says, "talk about gay?..oh..let me tell you about what I saw at the airport while I was waiting for my flight".. The customer starts describing a guy he saw, from the top down... Short hair, well groomed, well dressed, described a stylish type t-shirt....and about the time he gets to the guys pants my brain clicks, "oh my god...he's gonna get to the shoes and say the guy was wearing heels".... Sure enough... "and the guy was wearing womens high heels.. Now part of me wanted to just jump in and start a debate with the dim-bulbs, and had I been feeling better I probably would have (I have a sinus infection that's kicking my butt)... I just said, "well..that's cool.. to each his own", and went about my work.. I think i'll send the customer the link to the article that was posted here a few weeks ago about guys in heels as a fashion statement.....

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Your response was the right one. In fact, it was perfect. The guy will likely reconsider his homophobic reaction, now that a "normal" guy has openly stated that it is no big deal. Even if it doesn't change his mind, at least he now knows that not everyone is against the idea of a guy in heels.

Wood&Metal – Remember the business axiom, “The customer is always right.” Let’s turn the tables on this. There have been a lot of posts about guys getting good service while wearing heels. Most of the time the heelers really didn’t know what the folks providing the service thought about their wearing heels other than comments like, “no one said a word”. There are exceptions when the server was enthusiastic in their comments, but these are rare. We heelers are pleased when we go into a business and are treated like any other customer. As customers, we are making a visual statement about it being Ok for a guy to wear heels that is just as valid as your customer’s verbal statement about it not being Ok for a guy to wear heels. I think you customer is entitled to his opinion. As a service provider (unless you are selling heels) good customer relations practices dictate that you should not present a contrary opinion. You don’t have to agree with the customer’s opinion, but you shouldn’t disagree unless you are pushed to do so. Just let it alone.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Dealing with customers who are homophobe/racist can be a bit tough in the mechanical service industry. I've heard just about everything, although had to laugh a bit when it came to one guy I was working with in West Palm Beach. He was spewing almost every racist statement one can make, seeming to try to "test" me. When I said I was born north of Detroit and had heard them all we found out we were from within 2 miles of the same place. And yea, north of Detroit the racism is very strong. I don't think I've ever said to a customer out loud that I'm gay, although did have a discussion about a fetish shop with one who's got a store sticker on his truck.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Thighbootguy: I agree with you, and that is exactly why I thought wood&metal's response was so perfect. There was absolutely nothing defensive, negative, or confrontational about it, he simply indicated that he was not shocked or bothered by the idea of a guy in heels.

Thanks for the kudos... You guys are right, but i'm just one of those who can't stand to listen quietly when people bust on someone they do not know for no other reason than they look different... When I do interject myself, I try to do it in a way to cause people to think, even if they are hard headed.. However, I am greatful to the customer who told me about the guy in heels sighting...... I'm jealous in a way because, other than the occasional guy in cowboy boots, I've yet to see another guy wearing heels in public....

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.