Do Fashion Models Lie about their shoe size?

barney15c

I have been looking on Fashion Model sites and have noticed that especially with the more well known names, their quoted shoe size is almost almost without exception smaller than the size that is widely shown on other web sites (as accurate as can be accepted). For example one modeling site quoted Cyndi Crawford as having US9 feet and then quoting that as a size UK6.5!! when its known she is actually a US10 , UK8, there are numerous other examples of giving smaller sizes. Also it seems that any Model over 6ft doesnt have a shoe size over a UK6 or 7 (I know there are women with smaller feet disproportionate to their height) which seems statistically impossible , there must be some UK8 9 or 10 but no all the model sites i have gone to do not seem to have any. Is it a marketing thing, are some taller models embarrassed of having a larger than normal shoes size. What does anyone else think? I can find some more examples if you want.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

I would have thought that honesty in these matters was particularly important otherwise they couldend up going down the catwalk in cripplingly small shoes or barefoot. I can't see why they'd have anything to gain from lying about their shoe size. Perhaps it might be the other sites overestimating which are the problem.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I have heard that models do try to squeeze into smaller shoes - on some sites which talk about what shoe size / height a particular celebrity / model may be, they have stated this, pure conjecture but may have some truth to it. may have something to do with them being sent sample pairs in certain sizes to model, if they are not the same size they just have to squeeze into them, as i said all purely hypothetical. Also the stated shoe sizes may be more to do with the agencies rather than the models themselves.

From what I've seen lately, and judging from the number that have recently taken a tumble , it is difficult for some models to walk in heels, at all. So, it would seem to me that it wouldn't be advisable for any of them to wear shoes that do not properly fit their feet. :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think that many of them wear smaller shoes. Look at their feet, most of them are with a lot of corns and blisters. Standing for many hours in smaller shoes make them feet very painful, that's why some of them are not walking properly.

As a woman who stands at 5ft 9 1/2 inches flat footed, I guess I'm a pretty tall - I still love to wear heels. My favorites for daily wear are Guess Carries which I wear in an 8.5. Most of my US shoes are size 8.5 or 9 with some 8s and some 9.5s (depends on brand, shape, heel height etc). I have some UK shoes (I really really like some of the UK brands and their quality) These are all 6.5 or 7 UK women's sizing. I was born in Australia but have lived in the US for some time (American husband). Anecdotal but I must say that my experience in the US is that the average US woman has bigger feet than the average Australian or UK woman LOL. So many girls here wear 9s and 10s - whilst not being particularly tall at all. I'm getting the impression that Australian girls are pretty tall on average. Those in the US with a latino heritage display are generally shorter and with smaller feet. Now I've read somewhere that bone growth - translates to height, foot size, hand size etc has a relationship with nutrition. Those cultures who experience good diet on a generational basis will grow taller. That's what I read anyway - maybe someone else has some knowledge??? .....

I think it's the agencies advertising that their model can fit/squeeze into the standard sample size 9 (U.S.). This way, they don't scare off potential clients who might say, "my, accommodating for her shoe size will actually cost us more money than we'll get back/be too much of a hassle to deal with. Let's shoot a model with smaller feet." So even though a model may be a U.S. 10, the agencies are in a sense saying, "our model can wear a size 9 U.S."--even if she has to temporarily squeeze her feet into them for an editorial/campaign.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I think it's the agencies advertising that their model can fit/squeeze into the standard sample size 9 (U.S.). This way, they don't scare off potential clients who might say, "my, accommodating for her shoe size will actually cost us more money than we'll get back/be too much of a hassle to deal with. Let's shoot a model with smaller feet." So even though a model may be a U.S. 10, the agencies are in a sense saying, "our model can wear a size 9 U.S."--even if she has to temporarily squeeze her feet into them for an editorial/campaign.

This is my thinking exactly, i remember reading once in a sunday paper supplement that Elite model agency said that 5% of their models are a size 11 (they didnt list anything higher than this), as the supplement was from the UK they mistook the US11 for a UK11 (a common mistake for a lot of UKpublications), now at the time Ellie McPherson worked for them, now its been said she is at least a US12 possibly more,( http://www.celebrityshoesize.com/m/elle-macpherson-240.html ) so the thinking is they had her down as a US11 too, which would fit in with whats been said above. Even so she would have struggled to fit a shoe at least 2 sizes smaller.

What do you think of these shoes of hers do they look like a Us12?

post-207-133522910872_thumb.jpg

post-207-133522910875_thumb.jpg

i've worked with quite a fair few models for various reasons (styling, catwalk, shoots etc)... and they generally don't lie about their shoe size.... however, the stylist or walldrobe normally have a selection of items and models are expected to fit into whatever's available on the day..... i guess it a little bit of a catch 22... they may lie so that they can get booked (if the shoe walldrobe is limited to a certain size) but then it's in their interest not to lie so that the stylist can provide the correct fitting shoes for them..... height - on the other hand - is something all models lie about.... both over and under quoting their true height :smile: