Training with High Heel Sneakers

perry

Last summer I trained and ran my first half marathon in high heeled sneakers. At the begining I had some arch pains and some shin splints but with careful planning of the training times I was soon able to overcome that. I then entered a series of races of increasing length until the half marathon. I found that my times were quite decent but the one side effect is that in normal sneakers my achilies is quite tender. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have any tips. Thanks in advance

Last summer I trained and ran my first half marathon in high heeled sneakers.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have any tips.

I'm very much wondering why do you do this?

I love high-heel sneakers too (have worn them very often last Fall before the snow came), but i consider them 100% fashion wear only. I train endurance sports regularily and run half-marathons too, but only with special running shoes (with gel pads), and would never do that on heeled sneakers, unless there's a good reason.

Happy Heeling and Running

k6ps

It began with trying to learn Chi running. I was having real trouble in learning the technique. In essence chi running begins with learning how to fall forward (very simplified). By wearing the high heeled sneakers I seemed to grasp the concept better. As time went on I was able to translate the skill to racing flats but in between it became comfortable so have carried on.

It began with trying to learn Chi running. I was having real trouble in learning the technique. In essence chi running begins with learning how to fall forward (very simplified).

By wearing the high heeled sneakers I seemed to grasp the concept better. As time went on I was able to translate the skill to racing flats but in between it became comfortable so have carried on.

Have you written a book or training manual on the technique, yet":silly:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi guys, I wear high heels a great deal (all-day at least half of every week) and would never advocate wearing high heels for training. I too run a great deal - I have competed in events with running components up to 76km (with a vertical rise of 2000m) so I know a bit about training. I have recently suffered an injury from my heels by just kicking them off (at the end of a day) and walking around bare-footed. High heels do put you under some wicked pressures you never really realise. The tendons in the arch of your foot and your archilles are directly connected. Training will naturally give you tighter archilles tendons - and standing on your toes (high heels) will slacken the archilles (which feels better) but because your toes are bent up (high heeled foot position) your tendons from the heel to your toes become tightened - which still pulls on your archilles. Running in heels would cause your archilles to become even tighter than it would be otherwise - unless you are stretching all the time when not running you would end by permanently shortening your archilles tendons - which could likely then create related tendon ailments in the soles of your feet from your heels to your toes. Of course I must say I am not an expert on the subject but I don't believe it wise to train in heels. Heel-Lover

Heel-Lover You obviously have better knowledge than I but I have to say what you say does make sense and would explain some of my foot tenderness. I do not stretch a lot except as part of my cool down after training. When not training (which I have been doing for two years now) around the house I wear slippers with 11/2" heels. For everyday wear to work my minimum heel height is 3" from loafers, wedges and boots. On weekends if hiking or working outside I wear my skechers, which I got from Victoria Secret. Otherwise I have 3" and 4" boots. It may be too late to heed your warning but I really do love wearing my heels. I have noticed that unconciously in the shower I seem to often stand on my toes but when I get out I slip into my slippers so I don't yet seem to have any discomfort. perry

In reading the previous posts on the subject of running in high heels, I think it makes a lot of difference how far you run. I regularly jog for 2-3 miles in 5 inch heels 3-4 times a week and have done so for the past 4 years. I have gotten so used to this that I can spend all day in 5 inch heels and feel only slightly tired at the end of the day. Since I also spend considerable time in low heel shoes (under 3 inches), I don't seem to have any problem with shortened tendons or an inability to be out of heels. On the other hand, my wife, who doesn't jog, but also who never wears heels lower than 4 inches and mostly 5-6 inch heels, is very uncomfortable walking without heels on. So I think the total time in heels rather than the type of activity while in heels is what determines whether one becomes permanently required to wear heels.