Manhattan NY.

Hi, Im off to New York staying in Manhattan near Times square at the start of next month and have a few non-heeling related questions for those that have been or even those that are resident there, if we have anyone. Wont be bringing heels as the security is bound to be horrific and I dont want the hassle or bringing any unnecessary attention onto myself. I have been told that the security in NY can be a nightmare. Firstly, I want to do some serious ice-skating while I am there with lessons, preferably 1-1 but group is good to. Can anyone suggest somewhere that does them? I have emailed (eg : Bryant park) a few of the rinks about this but got no reply. Secondly, I want to do some running in central park. I am pretty advance so dont mind hilly routes. Can anyone direct me to some decent sites with advice. Finally, any special do's and sont's? Astrid.

Hi Astrid,

I work in NYC right near Macy's, 34 St, 6 Av. Bring your heels as I fly with them, through TSA security, etc. No one will hassle you, whether you are wearing them or they are in your bags. Some of the most famous ice skating in the world is at Rockefeller Center, 48th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues; also in Central Park at the Wollman Rink (I believe off of 5th around 65th Street?). I believe that both have trainers available. I don't know about Bryant Park although I pass it; I will inquire for you.

Running in Central Park is easy; you actually run either in or alongside the main roads - I have rollerbladed there a few times -walk right in and you'll find it at the main entrances, 59th St and 7th Avenue, 59th Street and 6th Avenue, 59th Street and 5th Avenue.

PM me; maybe we'll do lunch.

It's all about the heel!

Hi,

Im off to New York staying in Manhattan near Times square at the start of next month and have a few non-heeling related questions for those that have been or even those that are resident there, if we have anyone. Wont be bringing heels as the security is bound to be horrific and I dont want the hassle or bringing any unnecessary attention onto myself. I have been told that the security in NY can be a nightmare.

Firstly, I want to do some serious ice-skating while I am there with lessons, preferably 1-1 but group is good to. Can anyone suggest somewhere that does them? I have emailed (eg : Bryant park) a few of the rinks about this but got no reply.

Secondly, I want to do some running in central park. I am pretty advance so dont mind hilly routes. Can anyone direct me to some decent sites with advice.

Finally, any special do's and sont's?

Astrid.

Take tons of money with you....or, a bank card with a big limit. :blinkbigeyes:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

TSA don't give a **** about whether man is wearing heels or has them in his luggage. They're more interested in, um, bombs, drugs, terrorists, weapons, contraband, etc etc. Take them. NY is perfect for wearing heels and freestyling (kneehighs can tell you that!).

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

• 2 weeks later...

I fly all the time in and out of all NY airports with heels in my bags and on my feet. Never any issue. Security is a PITA but not more in NY than anywhere else and not any more because of heels. All other questions have been answered and I agree. NYC is the greatest place in the world for heeling.

What's all the fuss about?

• 1 month later...