Javari shoes

Puffer

This morning, I received an e-mail from Amazon inviting me to visit the Javari website 'dedicated to shoes and handbags' at http://www.javari.co.uk/?ref_=pe_31441_17044541 It appears that Javari is an Amazon company.

There is quite a large range of men's and women's shoes, mostly in the better-known brands at mid-to-high prices, but delivery and returns are free. I make no further comment on the catalogue; each can decide for himself (or herself). But there is nothing worth considering in any larger women's sizes (the UK 9s are pretty frumpy and there is almost nothing larger) and I failed to find any heel heights stated - they are merely described as being e.g. 'High (Over 3")', which adds nothing to the pictures!

I e-mailed the company pointing out that the site was useless without a stated heel height for each shoe rather than a vague range. To my surprise, I received this reply less than an hour later:

'The only information we have about any item is displayed on our website. Whilst some of our products do advise the exact heel height, I am aware that others do not.

We realise it can be difficult to make a purchasing decision without the information you'd like. Our editorial staff is working to improve the information we provide about each item on our site, but in this case I don't have any more information to offer.

That said, if you decide to order the item from our site and you find that it's not what you expected, you may return it for a full refund. You'll find our returns policy, instructions and a printable return mailing label online at:

http://www.javari.co.uk/returns/

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. We hope to see you again soon on Javari.co.uk.

Well, 10/10 for promptness; 7 for providing a response addressing the issue and 4 for the degree of help and reassurance it provided. I'm not holding my breath for any improvement in the info on the site and I do wonder how much is factored into the prices to cover all the costs of two-way carriage and admin when a shoe is returned, for whatever reason. Do women (or men) buy shoes online without any clear idea about heel/platform height and other key 'dimensions'?

Puffer,

See what you mean, but look at >>this<< offering from Gabor, taken straight form the mens rack and given a heel. Also >>this<< offering from Hush Puppies which is a real classic oxford toecap with a high stacked heel. This one is available in UK10 (eu43) from other UK sources such as >>this<< on the net. Both IMHO are wearable by any man who wishes a heel yet maintain a proper masculine look to the toebox.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Yes, Simon, I see what you mean; interesting finds. I quite like the look of the Gabor loafer - that style of shoe is, as you rightly say, totally male and smart and timeless too (but not frumpy and looks equally good on a woman). It is now shown as unavailable but similar shoes can be bought elsewhere; alas not in a true 11UK as far as I know! The Hush Puppies offering is also suitable for male wear, albeit more conspicuous with that heel (and the pic seems to show the heel leaning over; I wonder why?). Personally, I don't like it - I rarely wear lace-ups and loathe the Oxford style (prob because it smacks of ultra-conservative menswear which I rebelled against from age 10 or so!). Here again, nothing in an 11 and a higher price on the other site for size 10. Quidam's find is also a very neat unisex shoe - but not perhaps exciting enough for male heeling and (imho) too expensive for non-leather. Largest size is UK8 which is not helpful either. Let's keep looking!