Diesel engines, Gearboxes, Fields and Heels

Some times I wonder which is more powerful -- the techies doing the test or the diesel engine? My moto is "if you break it, you've bought it" and I've the lawyers to back me up. :-?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi Xa..

I still like those boots! very nice indeed. Don't own a pair of thigh highs yet and that's a shame. :D Never seen any for sale down here, at least not ones made of leather.

Thanks for showing us what a "machine that digs up spuds" looks like Fellas...I feel most enlightened. :wink: (it's something only the Poms could love) :wink::D:-?

Glad to see you've sorted the gearbox troubles and have your truck back on the road Xa.That would have been quite a job. Those things are so damn heavy....and awkward to boot. Btw what kind of donk are you running in your 4x4 ?...is she diesel or petrol?

I sold off my Nissan Safari 4.2 Turbo Diesel last year and bought into a Mitzi Double Cab V6.Although the V6 costs an arm and a leg to fill, the extra response from the gas engine sure is nice to have. Tows my double horse float (2.5 ton loaded) as if it were empty.

You mentioned a desire to buy a Ferrit, lol….if you get one you could team up will a Cocky (farmer) down south whose wife bought him a Centurian tank for his birthday. He gets afew buddies around on week-ends to help man the thing and they blast about the local farms and forest tracks in it. Heres a link http://www.ross.org.nz/Tank.htm

Posted Image

Hmmmm…you know, there could be something in the water down there Xapod.There is also a bloke not far from him who has built a full size Trebuchet and flings bundles of burning hay bales and other interesting stuff ( like dead cows) all round his farm.A local TV station picked up on him and showed a clip of this fearsome monster hurling a RollsRoyce a hundred & fifty meters or so down range.

Talk about big boys toys!!

jim

Hi, Jim, The engine is a standard Daihatsu 2.8 turbo diesel. Unlike some of the more modern beasts which run huge turbo pressures (and are consequently less reliable) this is relatively modest, producing 95 bhp. You're right about the gearbox being a pig to get in the vehicle, it weighs something like 100 Kg. If you have the correct tools to do the job (like a proper transmission jack), and take your time lining up the gearbox and engine, then it's a breeze. I'll scan a couple of photos I took for the Daihatsu owner's club during the gearbox installation for this board sometime. OK, I'm off to foreign parts with stoneage internet for a while, so I won't be around here, unfortunately. CU all Xa

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Hi Calv.. My hairdresser has a Daihatsu Rugger 4x4 with a 2.8 turbo diesel and loves it.Not the fastest thing on four wheels but it has given her stirling service. Those 2.8's have a fine reputation for reliablity thats for sure. take care jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jim,

Here's a pic of the gearbox on its way back to the rightful place. To the left of the blue connector you will see something that looks suspiciously like the mainsheet tackle for a sailing boat. Funnily enough, it is!

The mainsheet is run throught the hole in the body where the gearstick normally lives, to a wooden A-frame that I built in the passenger compartment. The blue scissors affair is the transmission jack.

Posted Image

Xa