Diesel engines, Gearboxes, Fields and Heels

Ladies and Gentlemen, a little explanation is necessary.

Calv and Xaphod went to see Calv's historic bus this afternoon. Regretably, it's feeling a little sick with what we believe a broken valve, so the cylinder heads are coming off tomorrow. While I was standing astride the engine, as in the picture of the first post, I thought of the 5" heels, 8.6 litre line. Having sorted out the camera and upload this afternoon, there was only one thing to do but to go back there (24 miles each way) and take the photos before it is all reassembled.

Here are some other pics we took, starting with Calv's stils next to the engine.

Posted Image

Plus a couple of pics for the gaspedal crew.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Calv, whose brain is misfiring on Belgian beer in sympathy with his bus engine.

and xaphod, whose brain is being weirder than normal weird.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I always knew they went together. Nice pics, nice heels!

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Thanks for the interest BobHH, the bus is a 1961 Bristol MW with 45 bus seats. Sitting on its side, under the floor is a 8.6 litre 85 BHP Gardner 5 cylinder diesel engine, which is due to be looked at closely today to see where the knocking sound is coming from :wink:

Here is a link to a page showing ours, and several other preserved examples.

http://classicbristolbuses.thornet.co.uk/mw.html Just scroll down until you find 357 MHU and that is the bus in question, which I own 50%. We have it for 14 years and have done several thousand miles in various trips. We have even taken it to France through the Channel Tunnel on 2 occasions.

Note the stillettos were not everyday wear for the drivers (I think!), as the pedals are so heavy. How the regular drivers walked normally after a shift in the cab I do not know, as double-declutching with that clutch pedal resulted in a sore knee and operating the gas pedal made sure the other one ached. After 2 or 3 hours you feel like John Wayne getting off his horse!

Power assistance was unknown in those days, apart from vacuum assistance for the brakes.

Great fun though and we have given a lot of people pleasure over the years.

Calv

Calv wrote:

there was only one thing to do but to go back there (24 miles each way) and take the photos

24 miles isn't far and the trip is (would be) well worth it.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Very interesting. I guess the only British buses I knew about were the Leyland double deckers, from riding them in Hong Kong and London. I have seen others around but didn't have a chance to pay much attention. And, I haven't ridden a city bus in the U.S. in ages! Have done so in the UK, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, etc. Mostly autos, trains, subways, highway or tour buses. My favorite old U.S. bus was a 1950s ACF Brill city bus, gasoline powered (I think, at least it sounded that way) with an engine under the floor. It was fairly low powered, but very stylish, I thought. Similar but better looking than their Trailways highway buses. GM came out with their rear-Diesel-engine buses about then, which were very comfortable and nice. Never got to drive one, though. The first vehicle I ever drove was a gasoline (petrol) tanker!! Haven't driven one of those in decades.

Wow! Must admit, I'd quite like to see that in real life. If I win a million, I'll get my HGV license, and then I'll get a big truck. That'll put the wind up the neighbours. Actually, I once saw an old Pathfinder airport fire engine for sale. I was tempted, but didn't have the eight thousand spondulies required :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I keep getting tempted to buy a Daimler Ferret armoured car, but all the fun keeping houses and boats maintained won't leave me much time! BTW the Ferret is a 4.5 ton armoured vehicle with a .30 cal machine gun on a fully rotatable turret, the whole powered by a 4.2 litre Rolls-Royce B60 petrol engine .... 8 miles per gallon :wink: I sometimes play the story in my head of inviting out a classy young lady, suggesting that we will take my Daimler .... then see her reaction when I turn up with a serious piece of military hardware ! Xa

Wow! Must admit, I'd quite like to see that in real life.

If I win a million, I'll get my HGV license, and then I'll get a big truck. That'll put the wind up the neighbours. Actually, I once saw an old Pathfinder airport fire engine for sale. I was tempted, but didn't have the eight thousand spondulies required :(

we were going to wind the neighbours up, BIG STYLE !

how would you feel about having a steam traction engine park up in front of your place ? :wink:

we nearly did! Our car suffered a puncture and by the time we realise something was wrong it was too late for the tyre. :o Shredded!

Having no wheel brace or jack we decided to continue on the 6 miles to Cavalcade and seek assistane from any of many engineers or turn back home 6 miles and worry about how to get all our 2 car loads of stuff back from Cavalcade. Option 1 won! Limped back to the rally field and obtained a jack and wheel brace, put spare wheel on and Bob's your uncle!

Calv, I'll have a few words down at the station tonight about your plight. The society might even have some spares! :D You may even get an invite for cavalcade and other rallies :D

A update on a poorly bus. Thanks all of you who expressed an interest in the bus. 2 weekends and lots of oil and grease later (most of it on me!) we now have the problem fixed. Turned out to be a broken piston ring so off with the head and sump and extract the faulty piston. The liner was ok but the piston was scrap. We got put onto a mechanic who came along to guide us and between us we got the piston out and replaced. New rings and a valve and 2 days work and the bus is now restored to health - thank goodness. Test run next Saturday and next rally on Sunday.

Calv

• 4 months later...

Time for more sillyness.

Earlier this year the enviro-creeps blew up my diesel engine with their barbaric test to see if it's emissions are acceptable.

The UK test involves opening the accelerator wide with the gears in neutral and waiting for the engine speed to max out at the speed limiter (something like 15% in excess of red line speed). They don't do this once, but 6 times in succession.

Anyway, it turned out that my diesel broke a piston ring, so I had to strip the engine.

To continue with the diesel engines topic, it was mandatory that I got out the Fuss courts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, you will notice that there are 3 pairs here .... did I mention that I like these so much that I bought 2 more pairs for when the first ones wear out?

Xa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Gene,

The heels are from 'Fuss' of Germany www.fuss-schuhe.de

BTW, this particular style go up to size 45 EUR, so most guys can get a pair to fit. Regretably the heel height does not increase in proportion to size, but even so, they are a very elegant court (pump).

I got the leather pants (women's size 16 which fit me well) from a UK cash and carry (Makro), but you should be able to find something similar because they are in fashion at present.

Xa .... on Calv's machine.

Calv

• 11 months later...

Gearboxes and thigh boots

Posted Image

.... now the title of this thread is pretty bizarre, but starting another called 'gearboxes and thigh boots' is pretty well certain to get me carted off to the funny farm !

Xa

Gearboxes and thigh boots

Posted Image

.... now the title of this thread is pretty bizarre, but starting another called 'gearboxes and thigh boots' is pretty well certain to get me carted off to the funny farm !

Xa

from Xa on Calv's computer

I thought I would put up some pics showing the gearbox in the correct position (under the 4wd) and, more importantly, the thigh boots on my legs !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thigh boots and POTATO HARVESTERS !

Posted Image

The things we do to entertain you guys and gals ! Drove into the country and found a potato field ready for harvesting. Had to get a photo of the harvester, but to keep the subject on topic the foreground was filled with Xaphod and his repaired 4wd. (Note for all you muddy boot fans - there wasn't any! The field was dry)

Not sure what the traffic driving by thought - but who cares?

Calv and Xaphod

Calv

Xaphod, about the diesel from last year... You gotta come to America, mate. I feel so bad for your poor engine. I'd be beating someone's head in if they redlined my engine even ONCE. Only I get to do that!!! Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

Hi, Jen, I now wind down the rev limiter just before the test, so even if you park a brick on the 'gas' pedal, the engine will only get up to the red line and not exceed that. It pisses off the tester, but they are not allowed to take any tools to the vehicle to make adjustments, so that have to make do with it, as is. Xa

Calv