Complimenting Others...

William

Today, I was out running errands (no heels) and caught the sound of someone walking in what sounded like exciting heels. When I went up an aisle that I otherwise wouldn't have gone up, I saw a really fine looking guy in his 30's wearing boots with a very extended toe and moderate (cowboy height) heels. I smiled at him, but because he was on his cell, I just kept walking. Later, I thought that I wished I would have complimented him on his boots. Sadly, I didn't see him again. I'm not looking to hook up with dudes, but I really felt like I wanted to talk to him and tell him that I loved his boots. Another missed opportunity. Makes me sad.

Cowboy boots don't count as heels because they're made for men. Erego, he wasn't wearing anything that would've merited complimenting on, unless you were simply admiring his taste in men's fashion.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Shoes are shoes and boots are boots. It doesn't matter if they have heels on or not, they can still be fabulous. I have flats which would merit compliment from anybody.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

One way to offer a complement without engaging in a conversation is by pointing to the boots and giving a thumbs up. When I’m leaving a concert, and I want to complement the sound guy in the back of the auditorium, I’ll catch his eye, point at him then my ear and give a thumbs up which generally gets a nod and smile in appreciation. This seems appropriate for a guy complementing a guy but somehow I can’t see offering a complement like this to a gal especially over shoes or accessories (I’ll have to think about why that doesn’t seem appropriate to me). But in general I've found that complements are appreciated and well received.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Sandal, wow man, you don't pull any punches, huh? I would like to point out that for many men, wearing cowboy boots IS the same as wearing high heels. For many men, anything over an inch is a high heel! But my point was not that this guy's boots were or were not considered high heels. I was simply noticing a man in a fantastic pair of boots and had regretted a missed opportunity to compliment someone (especially someone that obviously had great taste in footwear) regardless of whether they fit YOUR standards of high heels. And so I continue to wonder how we as heel wearing men might make the most of an opportunity to compliment others on their choice of "out of the norm" footwear. I can only speak for myself in that when another man compliments me on my shoes, it's well received. Personally, I tend to wear a lot of 2"-3" heels whether they be cowboy boots, harness boots, cuban heels, or clogs. And, I do have a couple of pairs of very noticeable men's boots with extended toe boxes and/or higher than average heels. I've gotten fewer compliments (but more stares) when wearing 4"-5" heels, but tend not to wear them locally as much. Others?