S. African Gender Controversy

I think it's interesting how the ruling agencies jumped on Caster Semenya simply because she:

1. Won

2. Appears more masculine than most women (but still appears more feminine than masculine to me)

All this talk about the color of her skin is utter nonsense - black women have been winning sprints for decades.

I have full confidence that she wil test to be 100% XY. Still, given her masculine features and peormance level, one does have to ask about her childhood environment, particularly if she was routinely exposed to any xenohormones (present in many insecticides and other industrial chemicals).

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I think that what they're doing is nothing else but a witch hunt and it's really sad that she has to go through all this just because she looks a bit more masculine than the average woman. In my opinion she looks like a very beautiful woman with muscles and some masculine features, that's all.

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

This whole issue is just a great big "ho hum to me. I don't have a dog in this fight and don't care one way or the other. However, given the recent publicity accusing athletes of all sports, from extraordinarily powerful baseball and football (Soccer) players to Lance Armstrong's winning his 7th Tour de' France, hopped up on steroids, human growth hormones and other performance enhancing drugs, there is ample cause for suspicion. As I understand the situation, there is a long history, especially in the former "Eastern block" countries, of female athletes taking male hormones to enhance their athletic powers. During these years, winning was most important thing to these countries for political reasons. And, every since, there has been suspicion connected with female athletes rendering miraculous performances that are way and above normal abilities of even the most gifted and well prepared male and female participants. There mightn't be anything to the suspicions that this particular participant is anything but what and whom she claims to be.....a 100% genetically appropriate female. Then again, if she is able to perform beyond the normal limits expected of females, isn't it only logical that the athlete might be setting records with the aid of performance enhancing drugs? And, wouldn't it be appropriate to "clear the air" once and for all by testing her DNA to determine if, in fact, she is not genetically female?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think that what they're doing is nothing else but a witch hunt and it's really sad that she has to go through all this just because she looks a bit more masculine than the average woman. In my opinion she looks like a very beautiful woman with muscles and some masculine features, that's all.

co-sign:wave:

lisaparadise

well 1st things 1st, have a look at my location and see my interest in this one!!

lets start of with this one

Bubba136

As I understand the situation, there is a long history, especially in the former "Eastern block" countries, of female athletes taking male hormones to enhance their athletic powers

that is part of the problem, where the one coach from the previous eastern block's name has come up!!

although denials have also come up!!

then, this being a local runner was very supportive, irrespective of all the hype!!

TILL, the mother said, and I saw it on the local news '' its couz she is black...........bla bla bla!!!

and that just pi$$ed me off!!!:)

the race card must always be played in SA!!

then the politicians jumped on that race boat as well, witch made me even more mad!!

at the moment hope they find something wrong and strip her of the medals!!

might sound harsh, however sick and tired of with every thing the race card being played!!!

enough is enough!!

saw her/him as a South African, till the race card got played!!

Yep, the race card is a poor excuse! Particularly interesting in this case because if they stopped their narrow minds to think for just minute, they'd realise that athletics is one area where skin colour doesnt really matter / count / have any influence. Simply look at the fact - a large percentage of champions (past & present) are people of colour!!

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

A lot has happened since this controversy hit the media. While there are a lot of different "takes" about what is and what isn't with this young man/lady, no one has yet to produce any positive identification as what it's specific gender really is. Links to two of the latest offerings are posted below. The handling of this whole situation just goes to show how "Bonkers" everyone gets whenever someone "perceives they've been slighted". This whole situation would be outrageously funny if it weren't taken so seriously.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Caster-Semenya-South-African-Athlete-Is-A-Hermaphrodite-Says-Report-In-Australias-Daily-Telegraph/Article/200909215379584?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_3&lid=ARTICLE_15379584_Caster_Semenya%3A_South_African_Athlete_Is_A_Hermaphrodite_Says_Report_In_Australias_Daily_Telegraph

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/09/11/athletics.semenya.gender.iaaf/

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.