Post a poem

TRUE LOVE. (by Cary, Alice) There is true love, and yet you may Have lingering doubts about it; I'll tell the truth, and simply say That life 's a blank without it. There is a love both true and strong, A love that falters never; It lives on faith, and suffers wrong, But lives and loves forever. Such love is found but once on earth--- The heart cannot repel it; From whence it comes, or why its birth, The tongue may never tell it. This love is mine, in spite of all, This love I fondly cherish; The earth may sink, the skies may fall, This love will never perish. It is a love that cannot die, But, like the soul, immortal, And with it cleaves the starry sky And passes through the portal. This is the love that comes to stay--- All other loves are fleeting; And when they come, just turn away--- It is but Cupid cheating.

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

She walks in beauty, like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all thats best of dark and bright Meet in her aspect and her eyes; Thus mellow'd to that tender light Which heaven to gaudy day denies. One shade the more, one ray the less, Had half impaired the nameless grace Which waves in every raven tress, Or solften lightens o'er her face; Where thoughts serenely sweet express How pure, how dear their dwelling-place. And on that cheek, and o'er that brow, So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, The smiles thar win, the tints that glow, But tell of days in goodness spent A mind at peace with all below. A heart whose love is innocent. George Gordon ....Byron

Love seeketh not itself to please,

Nor for itself hath any care;

But for another gives its ease,

And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

I'll Never Find Another You

Recorded by The Seekers

(Words and Music by Tom Springfield)

There's a new world somewhere

They call The Promised Land

And I'll be there some day

If you will hold my hand

I still need you there beside me

No matter what I do

For I know I'll never find another you

There is always someone

For each of us they say

And you'll be my someone

For ever and a day

I could search the whole world over

Until my life is through

But I know I'll never find another you

It's a long, long journey

So stay by my side

When I walk through the storm

You'll be my guide, be my guide

If they gave me a fortune

My treasure would be small

I could lose it all tomorrow

And never mind at all

But if I should lose your love, dear

I don't know what I'll do

For I know I'll never find another you

This brings tears every time I think about my ex-wife, so I don't listen to it much anymore. :wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

azraelle; I have mixed feelings about your posting the lyrics to that Seekers song. Rather than read your posting, I sang it. However, I am saddened to learn that song has bad memories for you. If you feel a need to talk to someone, feel free to PM me. I am a good listener.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I have no talent writing poetry. The only thing poetic that has special meaning to me is the lyrics from the song "You Belong To Me" sung originally by The Duprees about 40 years ago. If you would like to hear the song, go to http://www.cavelservices.com/sites/duprees/sounds.htm and click on the first link. I use the free version of Real Player to play music. If you don't have the proper audio player, you can scroll to the bottom of that page to download a free version.

The words are simple and may not make much sense to some. But the song makes me cry when I hear it when my love is in my arms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU BELONG TO ME

See the pyramids along the Nile

Watch the sun rise on a tropic isle

Just remember darling all the while

You belong to me

See the marketplace in old Algiers

Send me photographs and souvenirs

But remember when a dream appears

You belong to me

I'll be so alone without you

Maybe you'll be lonesome too and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane

Watch the jungle when it's wet with rain

Just remember till you're home again

You belong to me

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Azraelle that is sad and lovely at the same time. Ditto PJ (you seem a really nice person) you can PM me too anytime. You have been a great help to me with my problem I'd like to reciprocate the favour if needed. I'm sure you will find 'another you' and then this song will have happy thoughts for you. All my love Julie xx ps I think lyricists of today were the poets of yesterday they all have meaning and coupled with music can move us in many ways :wink:

Let calm be widespread

My mother had an old 45 rpm record of Jo Stafford singing that song. I used sing along with her when she played it on her old record player when I was a small child -- so, it's really very special to me.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Talking away...I don't know what I'm to say But I'll say it anyway Today is another day to find you Shying away, I'll be coming for your love ok Take on me, take me on I'll be gone in a day or two... So needless-to-say, I'm odds-and-ends But I'll be stumbling away Slowly learning that life is ok Say after me, it's no better to be safe than sorry Take on me, take me on I'll be gone in a day or two... The things that you say, is it live or Just to play my worries away You're all the things I've got to remember Shying away, I'll be coming for you anyway Take on me, take me on I'll be gone in a day or two... -------------------------------------------------------- -Take On Me - A-Ha. Words & music: Morten Harket/Magne Furuholmen/Paul Waaktaar-Savoy This song has had a profound impact on my life since the very first time I head it back in 1985. It is an uplifting song, one which picks me up when I'm down. I must admit to being a fanatical A-Ha fan as well! :wink: Jay

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

PJ: If you feel a need to talk to someone, feel free to PM me. I am a good listener.

Julietta: ...you can PM me too anytime....

Thanks. It's too bad you don't live in Utah! It's hard to find unmarried or divorced friends in the 40-50-ish category in the middle of "Mormondom" where "the family" is king, and those who have failed at it in one way or another are looked upon (in many cases) by the "normals" almost as some kind of leprosy-afflicted pariah..

Especially if you are working part-time and attending college (populated by ~98% 17-24 yr olds) full time. Assuming I wouldn't get arrested by the cops for "robbing the cradle" (which could conceivably happen in this town!), when was the last time that you met a non-gold-digging young woman (because I haven't got any money/property that might attract even a girl of that sort) that wanted to date a 50-yr old man (other than in movies)?? It just doesn't happen in real life. Besides, even after nearly 5 years, I'm still in love with my ex. :wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

azraelle I realize I'm getting way off topic here. May I ask why do you stay in that location if it's so main-stream and family oriented? Are you still friends with your ex? Is she why you are there in Utah? Is she in another relationship? Does she know how you feel about her? What are the chances of reconciliation?

Not exactly a poem but it still touches me..... "If I could have but one wish, it would be to live as one of your tears...To be born of your eyes, to live on your cheek, and to die on your lips." jim

azraelle

I realize I'm getting way off topic here. [1]May I ask why do you stay in that location if it's so main-stream and family oriented?

[2]Are you still friends with your ex? [3]Is she why you are there in Utah? [4]Is she in another relationship? [5]Does she know how you feel about her? [6]What are the chances of reconciliation?

I was not going to answer this, knowing that it would require lengthy explanations, but, what the heck--you deserve the courtesy of a reply.

[1] Good question--it is a matter of convenience, mostly. It's where my parents ended up after 2 retirement moves, and where I ended up after being informed of the divorce, not having anyplace else that I could think of to go, other than a one-way leap into the Grand Canyon. When trucking didn't work out (due to knee and elbow problems), which I tried for about 2 years after my 12 year career as a Radiation Safety Tech ended at the Nevada Nuclear Test Site (thanks to George Bush Sr. deciding that the US would "test no more bombs forever" in an unsuccessful attempt to woo the voters during his re-election campaign), I decided to retrain in computer information technology at the local college, while I had access to, essentially, free room and board. I have about one more year (but room and board will no longer be "free" as my dad died 2 years ago of colon cancer, and the quacks have given my mother 2 weeks to 2 months to live for liver cancer, as I speak).

[2] Yes, we're still friends--I see her at least once a month--she and the kids still at home live about 2-1/2 hours away. She still uses me as a "sounding board/shoulder to cry upon" since her oldest daughter (who lives with her hubby in the same city I'm in) refuses to get sucked into emotional conversations with her, and my ex's sister has become estranged in a different way (she's a religious nut that makes the Moonies seem normal!).

[3] Not necessarily, see [1].

[4] She had a "one-day stand" with her boss that was more seduction on his part while I was apprenticing as a trucker, and she wound up pregnant (at 43, no less). This bothered her much more than it bothered me (when I eventually found out about it); it was at least one unstated reason for the divorce, which took 2-1/2 months to get settled due apparently to her not being able to get ahold of all of the birth certificates of our children. I just walked away (didn't have too much choice since the cops showed up on cue 5 minutes after I got home and served me with divorce papers and a restraining order so my wife wouldn't be subject to my "emotional abuse". This was, by the by, MY first knowledge of the divorce. When the divorce was finally finalized, the boss persuaded her, through much argumentation , to marry him (her first answer was "not only NO, but HELL NO!!!", according to reliable 3rd party witnesses). There is some love, I'm sure, but she retained her property, she still receives wages at the motel he owns, she is not part of the ownership, and the only child that has his sirname is the new baby. And she apparently doesn't do much crying on HIS shoulder as he isn't the type, and apparently his personality has changed towards the "mercurial" end of the spectrum lately.

[5] I've told her on several occasions that she is still loved by me.

[6] As she once told my mother (my dad she couldn't stand--a feeling shared by my 3 older brothers and their wives, to a greater or lesser extent), a few months after the divorce, "I still love him, I'm just not IN love with him anymore." If by some miracle her present husband croaks by natural causes, or if he ever becomes guilty of spouse abuse, then by other means(!), then maybe some chance of reconciliation, otherwise, no. Plus she has emotional problems of her own--by rights she ought to be in therapy, but try convincing her of that! Certainly not me--'twould be like the pot calling the kettle black, and if nothing else, I'll not be a hypocrite.

......."I still love him, I'm just not IN love with him anymore."

Now there is a phrase I have heard before but I do not understand. Can anyone explain it to me?

That phrase is usually used by a female to ease the way of parting. We mean that we no longer have the in love blindness and that we love you not as a lover but as a friend/brother/member of the family. It happens when the romance goes out the relationship. I the trouble with relationships is that we forget to work at them and to keep the romance going. Unfortunately the daily traumas of life get in the way and before we know it we are on the treadmill of life trying to earn a living, raise the kids, get a career going and basically trying to survive. We forget the companionship, romance and more so the communication and loving that got us together in the first place......... this is one I could go on for ever on as I am clueless as to how to maintain a relationship as I am failing on my 2nd at present...... and my best friend to boot has left me to it to as he thinks that he is adding to my problems when in fact he was my saviour through it all. In fact it's amazing how many friends have abandoned ship, although given my situation and the type of person I live with (until next week all going well - pleeeeeaaase) I guess I can't blame them..... Enough of that I'm going to start feeling really sorry for myself..... I hope you find happiness Azraelle I really do. I think it is the least we all deserve afterall we only get one go at this life and it should be as happy as conceivably possible. Love to you all and see you soon, Julie xxxxx

Let calm be widespread

And thank you Julietta for your kind words. I hope you too find joy in these troubling times of yours as you have elsewhere mentioned, as well as those of the world.

• 1 month later...

A Magic Moment To Remember

A magic moment I remember:

I raised my eyes and yu were there,

A fleeting vision, the quintessence

Of all that's beautiful and rare

I pray to mute despair and angquish,

To vain the pursuits world esteems,

Lond did I near your soothing accents,

Long did I yor features haunt my dreams.

Time passed. A rebel storm-blast scattered

The reveries that once were mine

And I forgot your soothing accents,

Your features gracefully divine.

In dark days of enforced retirement

I gazed upon grey skies above

With no ideals to inspire me

No one to cry for, live for, love.

Then came a moment of reinessance,

I looked up - you again are there

A fleeting vision, the quintessence

Of all that's beautiful and rare

Alexander Pushkin

Let calm be widespread

This is a poem, but I've only ever heard it sung by Harry Chapin, who's one of the greatest musicians ever.

The first time I ever heard this, I was in my bosses car, and we were driving home at something stupid like 8pm. His phone quit, and the music came on... I said something dumb like 'You have a stereo in your car?' We'd driven four hours with him on the phone. He didn't say much, just found this track on his CD player, and we listened in silence. It moved me to tears then, and always does now.

Cat's in the Cradle

by Harry Chapin (lyrics by Sandra Chapin).

My child arrived just the other day,

He came to the world in the usual way.

But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay.

He learned to walk while I was away.

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew,

He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad.

You know I'm gonna be like you."

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,

Little boy blue and the man in the moon.

"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,

But we'll get together then.

You know we'll have a good time then."

My son turned ten just the other day.

He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play.

Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,

I got a lot to do." He said, "That's ok."

And he walked away, but his smile never dimmmed,

Said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah.

You know I'm gonna be like him."

"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,

But we'll get together then.

Well, he came from college just the other day,

So much like a man I just had to say,

"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?"

He shook his head, and he said with a smile,

"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys.

See you later. Can I have them please?"

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when,

But we'll get together then, dad.

I've long since retired and my son's moved away.

I called him up just the other day.

I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."

He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time.

You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu,

But it's sure nice talking to you, dad.

It's been sure nice talking to you."

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me,

He'd grown up just like me.

My boy was just like me.

"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when,

But we'll get together then, dad.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I have a whole CD full of my favourite music, and it rarely leaves the car. I played it to my father during one of my frequent visits, and he smiled and thanked me for the compliment. And I'll play it on my way out to fix someone's DSL because Max has gone back to his mother. Every time I wonder if I'm doing anything right at all I play this song.

And I'm probably not allowed two poems, but there's this http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/SongUnid/34DDCAAF69EC08F048256CAA002D07CA too. That's takes care of a lot of the rest of my time at the moment, sadly.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

And I'm probably not allowed two poems

Go for it and post as many poems as you like Yam it makes me read them when posted by someone else. xx

Let calm be widespread

Go for it and post as many poems as you like Yam it makes me read them when posted by someone else. xx

To be honest, I'm not that much into poetry. I think poetry was ruined by English Lit for me. These days I find music much more evocative. I also think that Harry Chapin makes poetry that just happens to have quite a lot of guitar in it.

Julietta - did you follow the link? If so, it will explain more of how I feel sometimes than my thousand postings so far.

This has been a favorite Barbra Streisand song since childhood. I listened to it a lot in the days following the breakup with Jean. It's from a female viewpoint, but I can relate to a lot of the feelings.

MY COLORING BOOK

F. Ebb - J. Kander

For those who fancy coloring books

As certain people do

Here's a new one for you

A most unusual coloring book

The kind you never see

Crayons ready, very well

Begin to color me

These are the eyes that watched him

As he walked away

Color them gray

This is the heart that thought

He would always be true

Color it blue

These are the arms that held him

And touched him then lost him somehow

Color them empty now

These are the beads I wore

Until she came between

Color them green

This is the room I sleep in

Walk in and weep in

Hiding that nobody sees

Color it lonely, please

This is the man

The one I depended upon

Color him gone...

Michael

On the subject of "lyrical allegories" which the coloring book song reminds me of....My dad used to sing this to his own guitar accompaniment (originally recorded by Hank Thompson around 1951--b4 I was born!). Originally I just liked the melody, but my divorce has brought some new meaning to the words. :wink: When I was young and went to school They taught me how to write To take the chalk and make a mark And hope it turns out right Well that's the way it is with love And what you did to me I wrote it so you'd know That I was yours eternally (Chorus) But my tears have washed I love you From the blackboard of my heart It's too late to clean the slate And make another start I'm satisfied the way things are Although we're far apart My tears have washed I love you from The blackboard of my heart If you'd been true the way you should And not have gone astray These tears would not have fallen down And washed the words away No need to talk, 'cause if the chalk Should write those words again It will be for someone else Not things that might have been

My dad used to sing this to his own guitar accompaniment

I haven't heard that song before, but I tried to imagine what the melody must sound like. I just worked up a walking bass line for Hank Thompson's lyrics. Then I realized I had just played "Cold Cold Heart"!!!!

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a country song, but they do tend to be interchangeable.

Michael

A lot of country tunes have been made classics by pop singers. Tennasee Waltz is just one example. (another is"You not only broke my heart, you stomped that sucker flat") :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

An aproximate rendition, jerkily drawn in Illustrator (by me from memory), for Blackboard of My Heart is (~key of C):

Posted Image

Yamyam said

I also think that Harry Chapin makes poetry that just happens to have quite a lot of guitar in it.

I agree. I think lyricists of today are the poets of yesterday and because music is attached to the poetry it envokes more feeling.

Julietta - did you follow the link? If so, it will explain more of how I feel sometimes than my thousand postings so far.

Yes I read it Yam and I know how much you miss Max when he's not with you, and although we obviously can't compensate fully, we are all just a posting away from you being too lonely.

Jxxx

Let calm be widespread