Post a poem

Jean and I are still in occasional contact. Over the weekend she said that a Joni Mitchell song that we both used to listen to (from Song to a Seagull which I've mentioned on another thread) reminded her of the relationship we once had.

We were usually pretty open about each other's flaws but the criticism still stung.

I Had a King - Joni Mitchell

I had a king in a tenement castle

Lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown

He's taken the curtains down

He's swept with the broom of contempt

And the rooms have an empty ring

He's cleaned with the tears

Of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting

I can't go back there anymore

You know my keys won't fit the door

You know my thoughts don't fit the man

They never can they never can

I had a king dressed in drip-dry and paisley

Lately he's taken to saying I'm crazy and blind

He lives in another time

Ladies in gingham still blush

While he sings them of wars and wine

But I in my leather and lace

I can never become that kind

I had a king in a salt-rusted carriage

Who carried me off to his country for marriage too soon

Beware of the power of moons

There's no one to blame

No there's no one to name as a traitor here

The king's on the road

And the queen's in the grove till the end of the year

Michael

Yes I read it Yam and I know how much you miss Max when he's not with you, and although we obviously can't compensate fully, we are all just a posting away from you being too lonely.

Jxxx

I somehow missed this first time around, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being here and somehow putting up with me and my deranged ramblings. When I find a song to say thanks, I will.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I thought I might share this with you guys... How are friendships created; What bonds their souls to each? Is it sharing their deepest secrets Or the love spoken in their speech? How are friendships kept Through the strain that they may face? Is it saying, ?I love you?... sometimes, Or occasionally touching base? How are friendships lost When there seemed no end in sight? By ignoring their pain and anguish, And not sharing in their delight. So, I pledge to you, my friend, I?ll never walk away; I?ll share the good and bad, And beside you... I?ll always stay. And when life isn?t worth it, When the tears roll down your cheek Just close your eyes and listen And from a distance... you?ll hear me speak. Though my words at times seem pointless, When no answers I seem to impart Don?t listen the way you have in the past But listen with your heart. For the important things in life Are invisible to your eyes; You?ll hear them in your heart For your heart will tell no lies. So, though I may be far away, Too far for you to reach, Remember I?m there forever For I?ve told you in my speech. Yet, distance never mattered For distance will only depend On the depth of the love I have... And I love you dearly, my friend. So when clouds are at their darkest And no lining do you see You have a friend, so close, And that friend - my friend - is me.

Ahhhhh Jim that poem was sooooo lovely I'm going to keep that one as it has really touched me :wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Yes, jim, that was lovely. I'm thinking of my special people as I type, and making sure that I keep them close.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 3 weeks later...

Love is.. Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse of impossibility... It is therefore able to undertake all things, and it completes many things, and warrants them to take effect, where he who does not love would faint and lie down. Love is watchful and sleeping, slumbereth not. Though weary, it is not tired; though pressed, it is not straitened; though alarmed, it is not confounded... jim

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. jim

Jim I couldn't agree more and I'm definately going with the dare as I know that this time I am triumphant and I have a very special person to tough out the rough times with now :wink: at last I now know what it is to love but more so to be truly loved back :D:o:D

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Love is... Yamyam :wink:

And there was me thinking "Love is... Julietta" :D

at last I now know what it is to love but more so to be truly loved back

And so do I!

Oh, and since this is supposed to be about poetry, here's what was playing (and reminding me of Julietta) while I was typing:

http://www.eltonography.com/songs/your_song.html

• 1 year later...

Don't Blink I've blinked too much, now you have grown. The afternoons spent in the backyard on the swing set have slid off into the past. The days of carrying you up to your bedroom when you were exhausted by your exuberant play are now just rusty memories. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. No more tea parties drinking an imaginary potion that you whipped up, whose ingredients actually kept me young. No more endless afternoons of continuously chasing the ball that you hit so that you could take a few more erratic swings. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. No more Bert and Ernie and playing on a street with a big yellow bird. No more holding your hand when you cross the street...actually, no more holding you hand anytime. I'm sure I'll miss the Dr. Suess bedtime stories much more than you. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. The days when a swimming pool could be just a wash tub on the back patio have gurgled down the drain of life. The Lego marathons, when we built things that could only exist in our imaginations, have come to an end and the blocks sit lifeless in the attic now. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. The days of a thousand questions from you when I was the smartest man in the universe have been replaced by your new confidence and the perception that you now know it all. I will never be your expert again, only a point of reference for what not to do. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't blink so much. I would keep my eyes open every second of every minute of every hour, so not to miss any potential life long memories that you might have been creating. I thought I didn't miss much but I missed plenty. I know I've blinked too much. Work made me blink when you had a ball game. Laziness made me blink, when I put you to bed earlier than I should have just to get a break from parenting. Weakness made me blink, when I fell asleep in the recliner as you were building memorable skyscrapers with your erector set on the living room floor. Lack of patience made me blink, when I lost my temper and all you wanted was my attention. I've blinked too much. I've blinked too much, now you have grown. You are an outstanding young adult and someday you will face the wonderful challenge of parenthood. You will have clones of your own and their future will depend on your vision of the world. My only advice to you my precious child is................... DON"T BLINK!!!!! jim ain't that the truth

I wrote this when my mom was in the hospital dying of cancer. She passed away on Jan 22nd 2004 :D I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go. A time when life was oh so grand, A time when you would hold my hand. A time when all we had was fun, A time when we would laugh and run. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go. Now that time is all but gone, They say “there’s nothing we can do”. I wish the fight could be won, Then we could all help pull you through. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go. It just tears me up inside, To see you suffer, I can’t bear. I want to scream with all my might, I want to make a wrong, right. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go. I love you oh so grand, I want to take you by the hand. Take you out of this place, Take you to a distant place. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go. A place where time always stands still, A place where you’ll never be ill. A place where we will never cry, A place where we will never die. I’m not ready to say goodbye, I’m not ready to let you go. I’d like to back the hands of time, Back to a time we all can go.