New member asking for help

Ms New Heels

Hi, I am Debbie and am brand new to high heels/boots. My man, gary0618, is a member here and is trying to introduce me to boots/high heels. I am having some difficulty in walking very far in them. It hurts the balls of my feet. Does anyone have any suggestions that might speed this process along? Also, I have large calves and have difficulty finding knee high boots that fit. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Hi, I am Debbie and am brand new to high heels/boots. My man, gary0618, is a member here and is trying to introduce me to boots/high heels.

I am having some difficulty in walking very far in them. It hurts the balls of my feet. Does anyone have any suggestions that might speed this process along?

Also, I have large calves and have difficulty finding knee high boots that fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Welcome Debbie!:welcome:

There is a number of threads that deal with the problems of wearing heels. Walking, selecting the proper heel heights and measures to lessen the foot pain some people associate with high heels. I am sure you will just be able to search back a few weeks, especially in the for women only threads and find all kinds of advice to correct the difficulties you are experiencing.

Welcome to our friendly group. Always great to have another female member to learn from.:thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

MsNewHeels:-) Welcome to our friendly group. As Bubba mentioned, you may find the answers to your questions from the girls in the group. Gary and I have posted back and forth quite a bit. Nice to have you aboard with us all. Enjoy your posting here. :thumbsup: Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Hi Debbie, glad to have you in the forum. The best advice I can give is if you are "new" to high heels; First, take it slow. Second practice, and third, start lower in heel height 2-2.5 inches and work your way up. It will give your feet and balance a chance to adjust. The balls of your feet probabally hurt due to the fact that you are not placing enought pressure on your heels. Your balance is off and you are unintentionally overcompensating by standing on your toes. Take it easy and relax. Once your posture is relaxed it will become more comfortable and your feet will not hurt as much, eventually not at all. Make sure that when you are able wear your shoes around the house, to work, to the store, etc. It will help the process and also provide experience in different "terrain". I am not really the one for boot advice and I am sure that other members have many good suggestions regarding fitting and sizes. Happy to have you here. Jen

Practice will definitely help with heels. As pointed out, make sure you get a comfortable pair. Insoles or cushions can help. You might also consider starting in ankle boots. They are likely to have thicker heels (for more stability), as well as providing more overall foot support.

For large calf boots, just do a search. Here is one site I found, I'm sure there are others: http://www.wide-calf-boots.com/

It does vary according to style and make. Some of my heels are so comfortable that I can spend all day in them. I have a pair of 5" boots I go shopping in yet I have 4" heels I can only wear for an hour or so at the most. Also it pays to start lower and gradually build up to height as this "immunises" your feet from the problems associated with heel wearing...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Not mentioned but also a big help is placing cushions (especially Dr Shoal's gel) in the balls of the foot area in your shoe. Nothing beats a well made and well fitted shoe, though. I don't think I agree with starting really low though. If you are going to practice in your home for strength/agility for your feet, there's no reason to NOT start with 3.5-4" heels. It's like lifting heavier weights in lower reps for strength...just MO though. Also, there are a few you-tube clips about how to properly walk in heels (which technique helps). Good luck and welcome!!

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Hey Ms New Heels (Debbie), I also want to welcome you to this forum of high heeled knowledge. Your insights can be of an immeasureable value. It is hard for me to remember the difficulties I had while learning to walk in heels, because I wanted to so much. Every chance I had, which were sometimes brief moments from other activities, I would go to a known place that I knew some high heels would be and try on any size heel available for those fleeting periods and then I'd have to return to the activity as though nothing happened. Oh! How I longed for the same expectation the girls had in their growing up when they were in line to get their first heels. But I was a male and too shy and scared of being known as a sissy back then. Now I struggle with the same mind set as when I was young to be an open heeler. Hopefully we can all heel together, leaving our inhibitions behind.

Hello Debby, first of all, a very warm welcome here! :thumbsup:

Maybe it's a good idea to read this thread also?

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/infirmary_-_foot_care_related_issues/7172-sore_feet.html#post120596

Some quote's:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pussyinboots Posted Image

In answer to the original question. No. The pain doesn't go away the more you wear heels. That's why people like Scholl make 'PartyFeet'. Also - the necessity for treating your feet with balms, moisturisers - and pumice to remove hard skin stays also.

It's a simple fact of Human dynamics - a lot of weight concentrated on a small - and soft area - leads to discomfort and wear - which requires constant maintenance (or pampering).

I totally agree, and couldn't say it better as you! :welcome:

So indeed:

- use things like Partyfeet

- pumice

- also important, take care of your nails, very bad to have to long toenails when wearing heels (longer times)

I'm not sure I follow you - are you recommending starting with lower heels (~2" or less), or higher heels (~3.5" and above)?

Forgot the word "NOT" before starting...LOL I am recommending starting with heels that high as opposed to 2"ers...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Ms New Heels. :welcome: As has already been stated, all of your questions have already been covered in one form or another in various threads of this forum, but you might have to search around a bit for those answers. Also there has been some good advice shared here. However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is what to do about boots that are too small for your calves. Well, believe it or not, that topic has also come up in times past; so if you will do a search on the topic I'm pretty sure you will find a whole discussion on the subject from about a year ago. Do a little search on the subject of boots and/or calves and see if that doesn't answer your questions. :thumbsup:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels