Little girls / young girls and heels

neatshoes200

I'll assume the poster probably had good intentions, so I will try to answer this in that respect. I have a daughter, and until she is done growing and to make sure her achilles tendon, bones, etc are done developing properly, we will probably not let her wear anything above 1-1.5 inches until at the earliest 14 years of age. After that, we'll see.

There should be nothing wrong with this question. It is STRICTLY regarding the safety and appropriateness for children. It's really no different than how short is too short for skirts, or if how young is too young to wear (insert basic common public apparel here). Basically it comes down to, where is the line you draw as a parent? IF there is a line? Is there a difference between spiked heels and non-spiked heels when it comes to appropriateness for children for the same height? Etc, as a parent would you let your child wear 1" mary-janes? 1" wedges? 1" block heels? 1" spiked kitten heels, 1" platform flip-flops? Does the heel style matter at all? Does the height matter at all? Does the style and height combined matter? I'm looking for thoughts and opinions from cultures around the world, and not just from where I live. I'm not looking for pictures, or anything disagreeable that you are insinuating in your reply. It's a very straightforward post, and if you're thinking inappropriate thoughts, then quit reading this thread, and quit suggesting that others here are thinking the same things you're thinking.

The issue is that little girls more and more are raised like little princesses and just LOVE to wear all kind of girly stuff. I would guess that she therefore also wants to wear heels. There's probably not much you can do against her doing that, at least if she's doing it secretly. And she won't need to hide like us male heelers often do, but she could just do it at her friend's. I personally think that it's ok from ~age 12 on for special occasions, but not for the entire day. Generally, it's better for her health if she wears heels after she stopped growing. But in order to convince her not to do it, you have to use strong and easily understandable arguments. She has to be convinced, believe it herself - don't just tell her "no". (Btw, the same probably also applies to drinking ...)

• Like 1

I didn't think of that, I figured if a parent didn't buy any heels, the daughter wouldn't have any. I wonder if any of the women might want to share about when they started and if they would think it would be okay for their daughter. Don't know if they ran into any problems from starting early. I would think it's pretty bad to get a sprain when you're younger, but not sure how likely that happens if you keep the heels lower.

My daughter didn't really start to wear heels until she left school and in fact it has only been the last year or so that she has worn really high heels all day at work (God bless her!).

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I have two daughters. Both grown, married and have children of their own, now. (presently, both daughters have 2 girls each - go figure:-?) I had very little to do with how they were dressed. My wife handled that part with the idea that as a man, I had no idea of how to raise daughters (which is true, to some degree). As a casual observer, I learned a thing or two about how female's develop their flair for fashion and/or style. First of all, they're "females" when they come into this world." It's in there genes. Then, if they have a strong influence, like my wife for instance, they are taught what colors look best on them, what goes with what and which comes first, the shoes or the dress. Likewise, stockings, tights, socks, oxfords, loafers, pumps, etc., and on and on (don't even get me started on the make up things). All learned under the watchful eye of one hell of a good fashion expert (my wife). As for heels, even little girls shoes have very distinctively shaped heels. Very different than heels on boys shoes. And, girls shoes, unless they are for very little toddlers, are lighter in weight, more delicate in design and have higher heels than boys shoes. 3/4th of an inch is normal and 1 inch is more or less standard on dress-up shoes for girls 10 to 12 years old. As for higher heels, my girls began wearing 2" heels at 12 and I don't recall ever seeing them wear 4" heels until they were at least 18 or so. Truthfully, they never seemed to care for heels that high. In fact, even today, they usually wear shoes with no more than 2½" or 3" heels, when they dress up, just like their mother wears. And, they always look like they just "fell" out of a fashion magazine. When to let young ladies wear higher heels? It's a parental decision. And, if you have a strong minded partner like I do, you just sit back and let her take the lead in dressing female children. :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.