Out and about in noisy heels

squirrelheels

For the first time tonight I went out in my noisy heels (3.5in ankle boots, thin-ish, noisy heel). I went with my brother and sister to Maplin, PC world and Asda to get some stuff for their trip to America. (I'm not going myself, I just went along cos I like Maplin...) I was concerned about how much attention my noisy heels would draw, but some of the floor in Maplin was softer, quieter flooring, which I was ok with. Even on the hard bit, no one paid any attention... My brother asked me to go into PC World next door - all solid flooring. Again, walk in, lots of noise, but no one's paying attention. We went back towards home and stopped at Asda... walking from the car park, (our Asda is a hypermarket. It's absolutely massive...) into asda, and around asda. More people here, lots of noise, but not stares. We went into the pharmacy, and one woman with her child was sitting down waiting for a presciption. I think she noticed something suspicious about my footwear, but didn't stare too much, and didn't say anything... All in all it was a good trip. I always like Maplin! :lol: And no reactions to the heels either! That's more confidence for me :( SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Maplin is a huge nationwide chain of electronics stores... we have two in nottingham, one of which is a superstore. We went to the superstore. They sell all electronic type things (components, products etc) and computer stuff, disco stuff too. Quite a range (some overpriced too)... Adsa is owned by Walmart of the good ol US of A, basically a big supermarket who sell all your food, clothes, TVs, music... they have a dry cleaners, pharmacy, and a cafe too. They make great baguettes.... SH

Well, I stepped down from the curb to get into my brothers car, and put all my weight on my toes by accident, and nearly lost my footing. My mum just said "be careful!", but that was it. They've heard me wearing noisy heels around the house. The only room they can be heard in is the kitchen. They notice, but rarely comment. My dad jokingly threatened to "fell" my heels earlier, by taking an axe to them... this was whilst he was walking behind me down the corridor... but I know he would never do that...! :lol: SH

Squirrel heels; you know, it sounds like you were almost disappointed that no-one noticed you wearing your heels! :lol: Yes, we were all like that at some time, especially when you go out in a nice pair and no-one spots them. Disappointing? Try, Gutted! But then most people don't care what you're wearing unless you point it out or are wearing something so obvious (big sign saying "Look at my shoes!") then why should they bother looking? Terayon; an analogy of Maplins for you would be something like Tandy or Radio Shack.

I thought of mentioning Radio Shack, but by the time I got to writing it, I'd forgotten about it! I suppose I am disappointed in some senses, but relieved in another sense. I'm sure they'll get noticed at college. That's almost guaranteed! Just have to wait for next week to come to wear them... SH

I've been tinking of going out in my black patent 6" inch stilletto heeled plats (they are exotic dancer shoes) but I would be too obvous I'm 5'11 barefoot (6'5 in plats) built like an outhouse,and a VERY nevous GUY! (alternative footwear wise) and they are very noisy (they make a CLOP CLOP CLOP sound! and I dont want to sound like a horse! I might wear them outside for a KISS concert or a fancy dress party or something like that.

I've been tinking of going out in my black patent 6" inch stilletto heeled plats (they are exotic dancer shoes) but I would be too obvous I'm 5'11 barefoot (6'5 in plats) built like an outhouse,and a VERY nevous GUY! (alternative footwear wise) and they are very noisy (they make a CLOP CLOP CLOP sound! and I dont want to sound like a horse! I might wear them outside for a KISS concert or a fancy dress party or something like that. later, TXT-1

Yup, they'd get noticed. But I doubt you'd get many comments. You'd probably get quite a lot of stares, but most people wouldn't dare to say anything. Go for it and see what happens! Try doing it at a quiet time of day/night. SH

Indeed, it's quite sad, really. You go to all that effort and no-one notices :( The only time I've been noticed is when I'm buying shoes in shoe shops. Another excellent reason to go shopping for heels in heels :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Except for my first pair of heels, I've been shopping for heels in heels! I certainly managed to put a scared expression of the face of the young woman who served me in Schuh. I don't think she's cut out for being a salesperson... she seemed too shy, and didn't seem like she wanted anything to do with the customers. Ah well... I got the shoes I wanted :lol: SH

TXT-1 Don`t worry too much about your height, I`m 6`4" barefoot (hence the big in my name) and built like a rake, I have been known to go out in my 6.75" stillettos!!. If you are built like an outhouse, you should be able to pull he height thing off quite well, your slenderness ratio will be quite good. I do agree though about the noise thing, I`m always really self conscious about that, though not really sure just how many people do actually notice. Big D

Well, not many people seemed to notice when I went out the other night in my noisy heels, which in most ways is a good thing! Even if people notice, there are very few that will say something. I've had one or two stares, but never any comments from the general public. Very few people you meet on the street will ever see you again. To them you're just a random passer-by who happens to be wearing heels. They'll have forgotten by the time they're fretting about their missed bus or whatever. SH

well I have shopped for heels & never cared what ANY one thinks ( as if any of us are mind-readers, which I really dought) it is those with very narrow minds that don't seem to have the intelligence to keep there 2-cents thoughts to themselves and therefore have the inablity to keep from vocalizing any & all thoughts to the universe in general :rofl: its always so darn funny when they look surprized & then after a few seconds they either will say somthing or then they won't!! (this after staring & you for wearing heels and/or shopping for heels.)

I've got a friend coming round in about half an hour. He's an old school friend who has no idea about my heels. I'm currently wearing my 4in knee boots, and I intend to keep them on. From what I can tell, he's quite narrow minded (especially from his reaction to my last day of term) about these sorta things, so it could be interesting to see his reaction... Wish me luck! :lol: SH

Nah he's a good friend. One I intend to keep! He's a good frag on UT too... As it happens, he ended up not coming round. If I get up in time tomorrow, I'll be going to the cattle market in the morning with him! I plan on wearing me knee high boots again. They're SO comfortable :lol: SH

Actually, busy places like supermarkets is the place where you get least notcied. I find the more people around the more comfortable I am with the heels. It is when you are in a one-on-one, like in an elevator, sitting in a restaurant that it people actually have time to notice. Also, those situations, you just can't walk on.

As I get more confident, I'm loving people noticing. The more times people notice, the happier I am. All that I've ever been asked is 'why are you wearing those shoes?'. I reply 'because I want to' and that's that. The last time I went out with lots of mates, I ended up chatting to a lovely young lady in knee boots (of which I wrote some earlier...) She asked 'Why?' I said 'I like to' and that was that. We spent some time talking about shoes, but it basically wasn't an issue, and we spent the rest of the evening talking and drinking (apparently :lol: ) At the end of the evening, a friend said to me 'well, if you wanted to come out with it and let everyone know, you've done it with style!' And that was that - another wall kicked down, and more power to my elbow!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I spent the day with my aforementioned friend today... He didn't notice the heels I was wearing at all. When he was in my room, he noticed my 5in loafers by my bed though! But made no comment at the time. When we were walking back to my house at one point, I made a passing comment that I might change my shoes when I got in (I was wearing my 4in knee boots). His reply was "For all I know you're wearing heels under those long jeans, cos I can't tell". My reply was "I am", and he said "Don't lie", so I showed him. He said "But they're guy's boots anyway..." I then explained that they weren't, and that I'd worn heels to college. He couldn't believe that I wore "girls shoes" outside, but then he said, "Well, you're free to wear whatever you want! Doesn't bother me!" Result! :lol: He reacted a lot better than I'd anticipated. I'm surprised he didn't notice the boots when I was kneeling down putting together his monitor shelf... the heels were quite obvious! Nevermind...! So that's a pretty good day! And another friend that knows! Yay! :( SH

Well, as I said in my topic about an encouraging experience, I said I'd write about my day in noisy heels... well: I was really nervous when I left the house at lunch. Walking down the street and up towards the bus stop was quite nerve-wracking. But there were very few people around, and nobody stared or looked, so all was good thus far. On the bus into town, nobody noticed, since I had my bag next to my feet, hiding the heels (I always do this!). Walking between bus stops in town - I'm sure a couple of people noticed, but nobody cared, and I didn't get any stares. Again, on the bus into college the experience was much the same as the previous bus, so far so good. I got off the bus with another college student (not that I know who she is...), and I think she noticed something odd, but didn't say anything or stare (not that I could tell, she was behind me!). Walking into and through college was no big deal. I met someone I know on the drive and had a brief fleeting conversation about amp cabs and headers, and carried on my merry way. He didn't notice... Got a couple of stares I think, but no comments. I got into the canteen where all my friends were gathered. Nobody noticed the heels, until the end of the lunch break when my previously mentioned female friend who owns the same pair of boots I was wearing commented on my height! Then she noticed I was wearing the same boots as hers, which she liked, and then I went off to electronics. During the lesson, under the desk (I was on the outside part - heels clearly visible) I was keeping my feet well occupied, and making little attempt to hide the heels. Someone noticed them when I got up to get something, and he said something to my friend, but this wasn't relayed to me. Can't have been that bad I suppose. On the way out of college, again, I got a few stares, no comments. On the entire way home, I again got a few stares. I find it amusing when people see the shoes first, and then look at my face to check whether I'm male or not! I felt like wearing a sign that said "YES I'M WEARING HEELS! Yes I'm male, and no, I'm not gay", but I think that would just ruin the look of the outfit, and I'd also look like a bit of a prick carrying around a sign saying that! One of my neighbours followed me home off the bus, and she gave my shoes a good looking over, and then stared as she walked past my house while I was entering it. All in all, a very positive experience! I shall definitely be doing that again, and I plan to wear them again tomorrow :lol: Tomorrow will be more of a challenge, as I have a slightly longer day, and more places to visit inside and outside of college. I'll also be travelling in the morning rush hour, so potential of meeting known and unknown peers increases, could be interesting to see reactions! But I'm up for it after today! Hurrah! SH

Nice go SH, don't worry, pretty soon both you and your peers will be used to it and life will go on (with the added benefit of the heel sensation for you). Thanks for keeping us informed with your detailed reports. Way to go guy.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I then explained that they weren't

Guys boots... girls boots... as troldeg says shoes don't have any gender. They're bits of leather and plastic.

OK, you might argue that the designer intended they would be worn mostly by girls and therefore they "could" be described as girls boots. I would argue that such an approach is paying homage to a third party's fashion intentions whereas your choice of footwear is a personal thing and such intentions have no relevance to any freethinking person. Once you purchase the boots and start wearing them they become your boots and a unique part of your style. What happened on a drawing board/fasion catwalk 6 months ago ceases to be important.

As I've said elsewhere, they're not men's or women's, they're mine! And to be honest, I've never had to say that to anyone, where ever I've been. But, SH, if you are planning a long day in heels, make sure that you don't overdo it :lol: . I nearly killed myself once during an evening out, where I couldn't sit down due to a shortage of chairs, and thus spent about six hours on my feet in my London Wedges. The next day I was rather sore, but buzzed from the achievement.

Hi SH, congratulations for your courageous college outing and your interesting story! Concerning the noisy heels: What kind of heels did you wear? My 24400 Buffalo platforms belong also to the noisy species. I considered already to let exchange the plastic heel pieces by thick rubber parts. At my new stiletto boots I noticed , that the plastic caps were damaged already after my very first outdoor excursion. If I would like to wear them more often outdoors they need a metal heel piece! I believe that I'll have to get accustomed with noisy heels :lol: But why not?! Can't find flared jeans long enough to hide the heels. But if everybody can see the heels where is the problem that everybody can hear them? I'm working on it! nice greetings micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!