Proper stretching exercises?

Nick81

Hello everyone, Last week i got me a pair of thigh-high ballet boots. I am pretty new into wearing heels at all. I got my first pair of 5 inch heels about a year ago. So naturally my first attempts of standing up or making a move were not very rewarding. :thumbsup: First I couldn't stretch the foot all the way downwards in order to stand upright in the boots. So I assume I got a lot of stretching to do. I also got the "Ouch Pouch" padding which helps a lot vs. the toe-pain. Two days ago I've been even able to make a few steps as the phone rang and I had to take that call! :smile: For a week now I've been stretching my ankles with these, not so easy to describe, excercises: A) Sitting in bed on on my lower legs with the foots stretched out, I lean my upper body back and come to rest on my shoulders. I maintain this position for about 10 minutes before I relax my ankles from it. :thumbsup: The other exercise I perform once or twice a day goes as follows: I lay down on the floor in front of my bed. Then I place my foots below the bedframe so that the heel isn't directly under the frame whereas the forefoot is. Then I put a pillow in between my forefoot and the bedframe, slide my body a little further out from the frame and then bring my complete body flat on the ground. I maintain this position until i get bored - which usually happens somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes. My question is: Has anybody experience with these exercises yet? Are there superior ways in order to stretch the ankles? I am positive these exercises got an impact on the ability to stretch the ankles. However if there is a more effective way train (without aids) pls let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Please post them, I'd like to know if I'm over-indulging myself in stretching regimen. I want to dedicate at least 40 minutes/day for stretching/strengthening exercises. First I stretch my feet. I tuck them under 3" sofa and try to straighten my knees. This is called passive stretching and does nothing for the ability have strong ankles. It just flexes the muscles in your feet, so that they're more susceptible to active stretching. Active stretching is stretching where you apply your own force to bend your ankles. I use therabands, which are sold in every Wall or K*Mart. I use two king of bands which differ in resistance. I wrap my left foot around the band, hold each end of it with my hands, then I straighten my knees and point my toes. I start with the easier band. I do 100 pointes on each foot with each of the two bands. This kind of stretching is called plantar-flexion. It is very advisable to do a couple of exercises of dorsi-flexion as well (opposite ankle movement). It prevents injuries. It is also very advisable to write an alphabet with your feet, and to roll on a cold can or tennis ball. Some people wrap their feet in ice after they've done their exercises. That'll be my part. gordon

Ok you asked for it. Every night I spend aprox. 20 to 30 min in bed sitting up with my legs straight and my toes pointed in the pointe with a weight ie. heavy pillow or blankets on the top of my toes. I flex my toes as much as I can and allow the weight to bend my toes as well. This has helped me with my bboot walking a great deal. Some times the muscles in the back of my leg cramp up and I have to streach the other way by bending my toes in the opposit direction as in wearing reg. high heels and the cramps go away and I can resume my pointe exercise. I have been at this for quite a while and I find I can almost touch the floor with my toes. Well that is it. I hope this helps. Dr Who 3

Hey, I got me a corset this week and I must admit that I love it! When I wear heels along with it the movements seem to work out a lot easier than without the corset. In fact waering the corset seems way more comfy than not to wear it :smile: So, today, I tried out to walk in the ballet heels while having the corset on. And for the first time I made it across the room a few times without any support. I can even stand in the ballet boots way more comfortable now as my whole back is getting supported by the corset - brilliant! I just thought I'd share this here - Perhaps somebody has made similar experiences.

I got me a corset this week...When I wear heels along with it the movements seem to work out a lot easier than without the corset...

I've always noticed that wearing heels with a tight skirt seems to make walking easier. I think in that case, that since the skirt is an absolute limit on my length of stride, I'm not wasting energy trying to force myself to take shorter steps.