Flip flops are dangerous

Chrissy85

We've all seen news reports and articles about the dangers of wearing high heel shoes and the damage that can occur to our feet and ankles. Well the other day the television news did a report stating that flip flops are dangerous and that doctors were warning against wearing flip flops. Apparently doctors are seeing an increase in the number of ankle injuries due to tripping while wearing flip flops. Maybe this will get more girls thinking about switching to high heels. Not reported was the fact that most flip flops are ugly and low rent. In my opinion, no other shoe ruins a girls outfit more than flip flops (well maybe athletic shoes). I always think that it looks terrible to see a girl in a dress or skirt wearing flip flops. Ugh!

Flip flops are probably the non-heel footwear I wear the most when I'm not in summery high heeled sandals (don't worry, no offence taken!). I am fussy with my flipflops though, simpler the better IMHO. But who are these "doctors" who advise people what to wear or what not to where? I don't know anybody who has injured themselves wearing flip flops, maybe they need to look where they're going. Just because people have the occassional accident doesn't mean people should stop wearing them :thumbsup:

Roz, you are absolutely correct. I was trying to make light of the situation, that being a sensationalistic new story. News stories like that serve one purpose, to get people to watch the news. We don't know who these doctors are (or doctor is) and we don't know how many reported ankle injuries are the result of flip flops. It may be a case of misreporting the cause of the injury. Anyway, enjoy your shoes no matter what type they are.

• 1 month later...

I was watching a program on television, which wasn't about shoes, but they stated that flip flops were first introduced in 1930! I didn't realize that they were that old. So whether you like them or not, they have staying power and will probably be with us for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...