The Nail File: Acrylic Nail Training Diary

ShockQueen

It's been over a month now since I started the experiment, and they have been holding up really well - I'm impressed! I think it's time to have them trimmed back JUST a touch to keep them at the proper length, because while I am getting used to typing with my nails, I just don't want to get hampered by them to the point where I slow down too much. Last time, I just had the backfill done, but this time, it'll call for some filing and rebalancing to keep the look the way I want it to. I figure I'll just have them put more white acrylic on where needed, so that way I don't have to worry about the painting part - might cost a touch extra, but hey, for less worry, it's all good. I've been using the Sally Hansen nice and shiny "hard as nails" stuff, which really makes them look nice. I haven't experimented with any other colours yet, but at least with the two-tone acrylic in place, I can do so, and go back whenever I feel like it. I haven't broken any yet, so I'm doing good!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I decided to get some polish tonight, and went with a Sally Hansen platinum colour. It's a nice color, goes opaque after coat 2, and looks kinda metallic. I did up my nails tonight, and for being out of practice, they look good! I have to get a q-tip and wipe off some of the oops areas, but will be leaving them this colour for a few days to see what happens next.

sounds interesting, SQ! i got mine filled on thursday. had lost 2 due to hands in water too much, so tina (my tech) had to replace them. got them done in my usual "under the radar" american manicure, short square cut. then she drops the bombshell on me: she's leaving my area to open her own shop! AAAAARRRGGH!!!!! i might POSSIBLY be able to go to her new shop, but it would be during my work week. this would mean she would see me dressed as i do for work, which is a bit less... masculine than when i go for my nail work. i wear skirts heels and make-up to work, and she's NEVER seen me like that! even though i'm getting my nails done, i'm always dressed in pants and the rest of "male drab". this is gonna take some thinking... :roll:

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

I think your tech would have no problems seeing you in full mode, as she already knows you like to do your nails. I usually wear heels when I get mine done, but obviously you have more on, so the effect is more "out there". I would say just go in, have them done, and if she strikes up conversation about it, just be natural. :-) I'm considering some nice nail art next go-round, so that will be interesting.

• 2 months later...

Well, after 4 months, acrylic nails are now a definite regular part of my overall look, as well as my heels. My wife and I go shopping every payday for more polish colors - this time we picked up "Who are you wearing?" and "Ink" by OPI. I seem to gravitate to either dark colours or pearl/silver shades. I haven't braved the red/fuschia area yet, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time. This past fill appointment I had them shaved down a bit, and although they are still longer than most guys, they feel weirdly short since I just had them longer and had gotten used to them. My only challenge is typing at times, but I'm still practicing on doing better both with short and long nails. Perhaps someday I'll have some nail art done, but for now - for right now, I've gotten MUCH better at applying polish myself, and they look much nicer than the way I was keeping my nails before. All in all - money well-spent. SQ