The Nail File: Acrylic Nail Training Diary

ShockQueen

I hate having ugly, uneven nails that break whenever something happens that causes them to rip, chip, or whatever. I like having nice nails if I can. So I did an experiment to see how I could keep my nails from breaking, and my method of choice was to get a set of acrylic nails done. Yeah, I know.....I'm crazy, but what else is new, right? For anyone who hasn't done this, it's an interesting experience to be sure. I went to a nice place in the mall, and after calling ahead to make sure there was time available, the nice lady asked if it was for me. I told her it was, and then she commented on how wide my thumbs were. I have wide thumbs? Well, I guess measured next to their usual clientele, I do. She didn't even flinch. I like that. So we go to select what type, and she showed me some fairly clear ones, and some french white ones. I figure since this was an experiment, why not go for broke? "White please" I said, and she started going to town. She had to get a bit creative for the thumbs, but she didn't do too badly (nothing that can't be corrected further come fill time), but the whole process was pretty straightforward. Again, if you haven't done this before, this is what she did. She first clipped my regular nails down, and then did a light grinding to rough up the surface. She then glued the white ends, after which it looks like you have claws, and then they trim down to the desired length. Once that is done, they shape the end some, and then start applying the acryic overlay onto the whole shebang, shaping as they go. The only part that is coloured is the end - the rest is natural. After all the overlaying is done, then they shape the rest of the way, have you wash to get rid of the dust, and put on a clear topcoat - very nice. You then sit with your hands under UV lamps for about 4 minutes. That's about it. Nice thing is, it does make your nails VERY hard, so I doubt mine will chip anytime soon. I just have to go back in 2-3 weeks for my first filling session. It hasn't really affected my typing much, so I think I'll be keeping these a while, and have fun. Should be interesting!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Day 1: The day the nails get road-tested Today was a day when I had to go in and work some overtime, so I thought this would be the perfect break-in period, since I do type some when at work. I guess when it comes to my frame, my hands are the last thing anyone notices, because no one seemed to - even with my increased clicking on the keys. The only thing it seems I have trouble with is pop-top soda cans. I guess I'm a little afraid of breaking one of the nails I just plunked down $50 for, so I cheated, and used a spoon to pry the tab up, and then did it the rest of the way. If this is the greatest challenge, then I don't think this will be any problem. The only complaint I have, is that there are some air bubbles visible under the clear overlay, so I think when I go to get my fill done in 2-3 weeks, I'll see if they can correct that some. Other than that, it's been all good!

Similarly, every time I try to grow my nails they suffer from cracks, splits etc. No matter how careful I am, they get to a certain length (which is not more than a few millimetres) and begin failing. I regularly have a manicure and polish (a pale pink with ivory tips which look very natural) and have suggested acrylics to the manicurist, but she has recommended not having these done since they are good in the short term, but damage your own nails long-term. ShockQueen - Let us know how you get on in the future. Thanks.

Well, it's been two days now since my appointment at the salon, and aside from a few more typing errors, my days have been pretty much unchanged. Truth be told, I've had natural nails just about as long as I have them now, so it's really not that much of a change - just more visible since the ends are whiter than what might be deemed natural. Nobody's really said anything, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small change that's not really "out there". I've re-learned how to open soda cans, and haven't really dropped my typing speed, so if those were my two biggest hurdles, I have nothing to worry about, other than just making sure I do the upkeep every 2-3 weeks at the salon. The good news is - I doubt they'll break anymore unless I do something really stupid, so I feel I've accomplished my goal. Go me!

Today I was on cloud nine, as things just keep getting better and better. I'm really starting to believe that this change was just what I needed. Not a HUGE change, but enough of one for me. Although not many have noticed what I've done, the ladies that DID notice were very complimentary on what I did. I was talking to one of my friends when she just stopped and her eyes got as big as pie tins. She said they looked gorgeous, and she thought about doing it herself now. The biggest lift was when I talked to my supervisor, and we had had discussions about improving self-image, and dressing better, so I told her that I did something that might be considered extreme, but wanted her opinion. She liked how they turned out, and said they looked very nice on me. That was all I needed to really cement the plan, and it gave me such a rush to hear her say that. So to me that pretty much seals the deal - I'll be doing these for quite some time, since I enjoy them a lot (I'M HOOKED)! Like I said before, now I see the draw some have to doing these, and it's a lot of fun. Now granted, I've never needed anyone's approval to do whatever I wanted, but it seemed that this change did garner positive attention, so that made it even better all the way around!!

Ever since my change last week, I've been doing research on nail care. Funny how something like this causes need for research. So I did some searching on acrylic care, and found that it's a good idea to re-do the topcoat that is used every 3 days or so - just clear nail polish really, so last night I went to the local Wal-Mart to find my target. I looked through the aisles, and the associate there stocking asked if I needed any help, so I just explained what I was looking for, and she pointed it right out to me. She had tried actylics too, but just didn't care for them. I got some good Sally Hansen clear coat, and made sure to get the non-acetone remover. Then I got home and did the ritual - first, take off the old topcoat, and then apply the new. I'm sure I'll get better at this step, but they turned out just fine, and are back to full shine once again. I saw another article that says some secretaries get acrylics since they type a lot, and need something sturdy. Well, I type a lot too, so I guess that makes sense. I know there are other options, but this is what i chose, and am quite happy with it.

hey, SQ... i've been wearing acrylics for so long it's the only way i feel normal. always playing with length and shape. i think it's been somewhere between 5-8 years. wierd how time can fly ;) r1g0r (keeps mrs r1g0r on her toes)

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

Well, so far, I've learned to re-do my topcoat, and just learning how to maintain nails once you have them done. They don't seem to have grown much at all, so I should be good with setting an appointment two weeks from today. I've gotten used to them already, and aside from a few more backspaces in my typing, everything is all good. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess, but I've received lots of supportive comments from friends and colleagues, so this will be the norm for me for quite some time now. My friend Peeps thinks I should experiment with different colours, but I'm fine with what I have, and it doesn't require much forethought as far as maintenance goes. I've started posting on Yahoo answers lately in the fashion section, so that's been a bit of fun - I've even gotten a "best answer" letter on one of the ones I responded to, so maybe my interest in fashion has finally born some fruit. and the experiment continues.....with much succes.....

One of my friends today, when I was coming back from lunch break, noticed my nails while holding a soda, and said "what are those for?". My autonomic reaction was to say "Oh just something different" - D'oh! I'm asleep today, as usually I have better reactions to when people ask me about them. 2 weeks until my first fill appointment! I even talked a couple of my co-workers into going as well to get theirs done (didn't take my prodding on my part *wink*).

One of my friends today, when I was coming back from lunch break, noticed my nails while holding a soda, and said "what are those for?".

My autonomic reaction was to say "Oh just something different" - D'oh! I'm asleep today, as usually I have better reactions to when people ask me about them.

2 weeks until my first fill appointment! I even talked a couple of my co-workers into going as well to get theirs done (didn't take my prodding on my part *wink*).

SQ - Who noticed - male or female?

Your appontment - again are your co-workers male or female?

It would be nice if they were male - we would be making headway:smile: .

So far, all but one person who noticed are female, but everyone has been very nice and supportive. The ones who are going with me are female as well. Sorry about that. I just hope the nail salon doesn't mind the extra business *wink*.

i too get gd comments from women; men too afraid to admire them i think... cos it out of thier comfort zone.... my changes of hair colour are admired on a regular basis by one client in particular... once again, and i'm getting bored by having to reassure people, if you are who you are, then people WILL accept you as such. You will never please all the people all the time - goths/ emos will think evryone else is boring, as they have a style as a way of communicating. So be loud n be proud !! Keep em high !!

It's been a few days since I last re-did my topcoat, and it's starting to show. Time to re-do it again I suppose. I was informed to take it easy, as nail polish has some acetone in it (it does?), so I'll take it nice and gentle, so they turn out all right again. I can feel they're getting longer, so I may have to have them filed down just a touch at my next appointment to keep them at the right length. Still tons of fun though!

. . . nail polish has some acetone in it (it does?). . .

Yes, acetone is the solvent in most types of nail polish, as well as nail polish remover.

Unless you are deliberately concentrating and inhaling the stuff (as in "huffing"), I wouldn't be too concerned. Just air the place out well until your nails are dry.

Have a happy time!

I just wanted to be sure not to damage the acrylic since it'll be almost 2 weeks until my fill appointment. I wonder if they make topcoat that's non-acetone........guess I'll have to check.

It's now been just over 2 weeks since I had my nails done, and they are holding up really well! I've put on some Sally Hansen clear polish once or twice just to keep up appearances, and then a week from tomorrow, I go in for my first "fill" appointment. I had thought about seeing if they have a color that gives them a more "pearlized" appearance, but we'll see what happens. I'm doing some research to see if I can swim with them - just going to make sure it doesn't damage the investment I've put into these already. Other than that, no problems! It's become pretty much of a normal thing at the workplace - no one seems to even give it second thought anymore (not that I'm complaining). I also switched from keeping my stuff in my pockets to one of those organizer handbags that looks a bit like a small satchel, so that way it's easier to get to everything. Just one revelation after another I suppose.

while acrylics can look pretty, ive always tried to avoid them. properly taken care of my nails have always looked just as pretty and made people jelous when they realize that they arent acrylic. my main problem with acrylics is the cost involved. if you ever have to stop your going to be about 2-6 months repairing your nails from getting them removed. :cool1: but im glad your enjoying them and keep up those beautiful nails ;)

I did think about it a bit before making the plunge, having heard stories of how long it takes for the natural ones to grow back once you remove the acrylic, but I figure as long as I'm going to be doing my typing, which breaks my poor natural nails all the time, I might as well have some "finger armor" while I'm at it. I'll tell ya what though.....my typing is a LOT more noticeable now! *click click click click click*

I've made some observations about the care and feeding of acrylic nails, much of which I've found online through beauty websites or Yahoo answers. While the nice UV coat does do well for a while as a topcoat, a nice thin layer of Sally Hansen is nice for maintenance between fill sessions. Also, if you are doing anything mechanical, like filling brake fluid, keep it off your nails - that stuff may not damage the acrylic, but it will strip the polish off - minor annoyance, I know. At this point, I can tell they will be definitely ready for a fill come Saturday (Friday if I can push it up), so I'm looking forward to that appointment. I might do something different, like a pearlescent sheen or something, but I don't know....it depends on what I'm in the mood for. Just another part of my life to upkeep now....but with a dash more style. I actually got a compliment from a gentleman who is enlisting my services for website artwork, which was pretty cool. I guess when you take special care of yourself (or more likely, do something truly out of the norm), it gets noticed, and in a very positive way. Gives me reason to update the rest of my appearance now. This could be dangerous.....HAR!

I had my first filll appointment yesterday, and everything went well. She got to a late start, which you should expect, especially on a Saturday. It actually seemed to take longer for a fill than it did originally. She noticed I had some yellowing on the nail, which she took care of. I was told that bleach can do that, so I just have to be careful when washing dishes, doing the brake fluid in the car (caustic stuff I guess), and no swimming for me, due to the chlorine. I didn't have her trim them down any, which we'll see if that was a mistake or not, but on the next appointment, I'll have her file them down some for sure. She did hit the skin a couple of times, but overall, she did yet another amazing job! I was told perhaps I should be using lotion on my hands more, so since I have ready access to said product, that shouldn't be a problem. I kept them the french manicure style, so no wild colours as of yet. I think you can paint them different colours and still have the french underneath as long as you use the non-acetone remover on the colour layer (just put a topcoat protect layer on first). Next appointment in 2 weeks! I've included a pic this time, so see what you think! I'm still hooked!

post-29-13352285621_thumb.jpg

looks good, SQ! bowie'd like them :roll: . i get mine in an american manicure. not bright white for the tips, looks a bit more natural. looks like you're having fun, and THAT is what acrylics are all about.

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

I suppose I could have, just to have fun painting them different colours on my off-time, but I just like that nice clean white line on the ends. and yes.....they are TONS of fun!

Hi there Sienna and Katrina! I would say if you're looking to test the waters, grow your own nails out a bit, and then get one of those french manicure kits. If you like the way those turn out, and want to have them longer, then go for the acrylics if you want to (or have problems growing out your own). It's definitely a decision that should be made with some thought, as it's an involved process and if you decide to have them removed, it does take some time for your natural nails to go back to normal. I'm planning on having mine for quite a while, so I have no problems making the sacrifice in the name of fashion. You can have a lot of fun with acrylics, no matter if you get clear or french tips. You can paint over them, and then go back to the natural color underneath, since the white part is not paint, but the acrylic itself. They make typing a tiny challenge, but one that is easily overcome. I guess I'm just biased now, cuz I love the way they look. I hope this helps some :-)

ive had them plenty of times before.. i just cant afford them at the moment.. and hate the regrowth time after taking them off... (or losing them or lack of maintance do to finances) katrina they really are gorgoues and as with anything else the first time is really the scariest.. as shock queen said just grow out your nails and go in for manicures like i do :roll: you can also get the acrylic overlay without the tip.. so your nails can grow at their normal rate to however long you want them..