Mainstream Hidden Wedges

onyourtoes

This summer I was looking at a pair of Skechers "Bikers" in a shoe store. I noticed the are not as flat as they appear, having about a 1 inch wedge inside. You can see it, not very clearly, in the picture.

Posted Image

Last week I bought a pair of "Pine" boots at Payless for wearing around on these cool fall days. When I bought them I wondered if being completely flat would be comfortable -- my achilles tendons sometimes ache on long walks in too flat shoes. I also noticed they didn't look quite as long as their size 11 implied.

When I got them home I discovered they lifted me up higher than you'd expect for 1/2 inch heels. Closer examination revealed that there's an internal wedge, perhaps a bit over one inch.

The arrow in the photo points out a faint line where the bottom of my foot actually rests, about 2 inches off the ground.

Have shoe designers started doing this to make shoes appear shorter, or are they heel fans that just couldn't bring themselves to make a true flat heel?

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Have shoe designers started doing this to make shoes appear shorter, or are they heel fans that just couldn't bring themselves to make a true flat heel?

I think that you might be on to something about designers wanting to make shoes appear shorter. Just from my less than empirical observations, some women are sensitive about the size of their feet. I dated a petite woman a few years back, who was a US 5.5 to 6, and she pointed out that shoe stores put their smallest sizes as floor models because smaller shoes are more attractive. She also loved the fact that she could just try on shoes without asking for help, but that is another point.

Anyway, it is a clever marketing idea. At the very least it adds another option, another look to the huge and competitive shoe fashion industry.

Style is built from the ground up!

Personally, I don't particularly like the way wedge heels look and I think the idea of putting invisible lifts inside of shoes defeats the whole purpose of high heels. High heels are beautiful to look at. Anything that can add to the appearance of height in the heels adds to the allure of the shoe or boot. Why else would anyone want to wear platform shoes. However, a 6 inch heel shoe without a platform looks infinitely more sexy to me than a 7 inch heel with a 2 inch platform.