When websites go away

Laurieheels

Well, heelsonline closed down. So I have to find a new way to buy myself shoes. Should I dare try to build a savings account, make the bank think that I am nice, and actually end up with a credit card? It may come to that. Shoes can only be repaired so many times, after all. Time to plan, time to plan. If anyone has any thoughts about places in Canaa that could provide some great shoes for me, I am eager to learn about them!

you dont have a credit card laurie? credit cards are only bad if the person who uses them is a moron who thinks whatever their limit is, is whatever they can spend and not have to worry about....credit cards are pretty handy alternative to cash just as long as you dont go stupid since im only 16, i canty legally have a credit card yet, but what you might wanna do is get a visa cash card....its basically just a visa card that, instead of going to your line of credit, goes to your actual bank balace....so you cant go over the limit like you can with a credit line, when your out of money it just stops working....like a debit card but it works with credit card machines and online orders...very handy to have

Hi Laurie! Your bank should offer debit cards and it will work just like a credit card. you could send a check. I don't know where you live, but i remember there was a catalog from a place in canada that sold very nice high heels. Renee

My bank does not offer any of those services, I checked into it. And to have a credit card, one must have credit, and the only way to earn credit anywhere else is to have a credit card. I have decided I need a savings account that I never touch, and I'll build up that way. The bank can see me hoarding money and then need a way to make me spend it, and what better way than with their credit cards?

Yes I know what you mean. No credit is worse than bad credit. Not really, but to them. I never used one much so when we got to the point of buying a house and had a savings account, we got a couple of credit cards and for awhile only used it- groceries, gas clothes, restaurants. Only for what we would usually spend and pay it off every month. well son they said "you are a good custemer so we will increase the credit on your card"> (Sort of dumb if you ask me but...) when we found the house after doing this stupid scene for about 2 years we could get a loan for a house. "oh you have great credit, you pay it off every month so I see you do not pay interest and you have X dollars of credit" I think it was like $25,000. Why on earth anyone needs that much crdit I willnever understand , but the man at the bank which did house loans was happy. Go figure... Renee

You might try signing up for a college course or two (you don't have to finish, or even attend!); credit card companies LOVE to offer their services to college students...

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Very strange. If you're gainfully employed, you should be able to get a credit card of some sort, even if your credit limit is not very high. A card with a credit limit of $1,500 is enough to get you started. Laurie, I can't believe Canada is that different from the U.S. in that regard. You may wish to inquire at different banks. Normally, they love to throw credit cards at you.

Like Stu I cant believe that you cant get a credit card Laurie. We get bombarded with offers of credit cards here in UK, and with all the banks competing with each other there are some good deals to be had. Several of these are offered by US banks. You dont have to stick with your own bank for a card, shop around and try somewhere else. If every bank operated the same rules as yours then nobody would be able to get a credit card. You would only need a low credit limit, pay it off on time and you would soon get an increase. Good luck in your quest.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Laurie, there are a couple of ways to start credit from scratch. Either to apply for a Gas (fuel) credit card, and/or a secured credit card. The secured credit card means you will have to first deposit a sum that will be equal to the maximum amount you are going to take out. Once you start building credit, you might want to get a department store credit card. Then finally a normal visa or mastercard, and get rid of the secured card. The important thing is to understand how credit cards work. If you only pay the MINIMUM monthly amount, unless that is the total amount of the bill, you will get in way over your head in debt. On the other hand, you MUST have good credit to buy a car or house these days. I'm not an expert in these matters, and I don't know all the rules. I know late payments do look bad, and lower your credit rating. I'm not sure if it's better to pay your bill entirely every month, or to pay a fair amount, but carry some over to the next month. There are special cases. Most of the time, I'd suggest paying entirely so the interest doesn't get you. The most important thing Laurie - protect your credit rating at ALL COSTS! If something happens to it, to straighten it out is a complete mess and what it can do to your life is a real hassel. Also, before you and Chris decide on any permanent arrangement, make sure you know where you each stand with regards to debt and credit rating. Marriage means you inherit each others debt and credit rating, therefore both parties should strive for low debt and high credit ratings. I'm cheering for you two, but just wanted you to be aware of that fact. By the way, once you do have good credit, your credit card will be upgraded from normal to Gold, and you will get offers in the mail for many more credit cards. Bottom line is don't abuse them, or you will be in trouble. If anyone has any other suggestions, or knows more of the rules and in's and out's of the credit game, please chip in. Good Luck and I hope this answers a lot of your questions. Jeff L.

Laurie, there are a couple of ways to start credit from scratch. Either to apply for a Gas (fuel) credit card, and/or a secured credit card. The secured credit card means you will have to first deposit a sum that will be equal to the maximum amount you are going to take out. Once you start building credit, you might want to get a department store credit card. Then finally a normal visa or mastercard, and get rid of the secured card. The important thing is to understand how credit cards work. If you only pay the MINIMUM monthly amount, unless that is the total amount of the bill, you will get in way over your head in debt. On the other hand, you MUST have good credit to buy a car or house these days. I'm not an expert in these matters, and I don't know all the rules. I know late payments do look bad, and lower your credit rating. I'm not sure if it's better to pay your bill entirely every month, or to pay a fair amount, but carry some over to the next month. There are special cases. Most of the time, I'd suggest paying entirely so the interest doesn't get you. The most important thing Laurie - protect your credit rating at ALL COSTS! If something happens to it, to straighten it out is a complete mess and what it can do to your life is a real hassel. Also, before you and Chris decide on any permanent arrangement, make sure you know where you each stand with regards to debt and credit rating. Marriage means you inherit each others debt and credit rating, therefore both parties should strive for low debt and high credit ratings. I'm cheering for you two, but just wanted you to be aware of that fact. By the way, once you do have good credit, your credit card will be upgraded from normal to Gold, and you will get offers in the mail for many more credit cards. Bottom line is don't abuse them, or you will be in trouble.

If anyone has any other suggestions, or knows more of the rules and in's and out's of the credit game, please chip in.

Good Luck and I hope this answers a lot of your questions.

Jeff L.

Ooooooooooooo....... Just think about it Laurie!!! You will get all the mail that you ever want!!! Junk mail that is!!! Just sign your name here on the doted line right next to the X.............. :smile: Hehehe....

Any way, I don't know about any where else, but right now with the economy not doing so well here in the U.S. Interests rates are climbing higher on credit cards and it's getting worse . So be careful and read that fine print.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!