Heels in Japan(tokyo)

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone here has been or is in the tokyo area. I have never seen so many women wearing heels in my life.I have seen women from all ages wearing them. I was at a picnic the other day- yes you get it dirt, grass beach -rough terrain.. and i would have to say that most of the women i saw had heels on- varied heights all the way up to 5"(only one sighting)yes but certainly more than in the states.and running? Japanese women are always running somewhere whether it's for the train or what.... I have also noticed that alot of japanese women are pidgeon toed... which looks funny in heels..but i wont complain...I knew there was a reason i like this country..has anyone else had the good fourtune of seeing what i'm seeing? Gig

Cheers

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has been or is in the tokyo area. I have never seen so many women wearing heels in my life.I have seen women from all ages wearing them. I was at a picnic the other day- yes you get it dirt, grass beach -rough terrain.. and i would have to say that most of the women i saw had heels on- varied heights all the way up to 5"(only one sighting)yes but certainly more than in the states.and running? Japanese women are always running somewhere whether it's for the train or what.... I have also noticed that alot of japanese women are pidgeon toed... which looks funny in heels..but i wont complain...I knew there was a reason i like this country..has anyone else had the good fourtune of seeing what i'm seeing?

Gig

Hi si gozimez! Although it has been almost 40 years since I was last in Tokyo.

When I was last in the western Pacific the Japanese women were not trying to copy American or western fashion. However, they had developed their own fashion, which included heels, and were able to project a very exotic and appealing image that was neither traditional (kimonos and zorries) nor western.8) I think that a big part of the appeal of heels has to do with their short stature. The war effort was so devastating that it left their people stunted. One might have difficulty appreciating this unless you can go to Hawaii and see for yourself the difference between Japanese Americans and the native Japanese:jap:. On average, the native Japanese are about 3" to 4 " shorter than their American counterparts. Consequently, the Japanese women seem to really love high heels. In some cases they've even developed some very high heels for their traditional zorries. I've actually seen some that would be pushing 6" (including platforms).:unsure:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Yeah, ain't it great? I was walking around shinjuku all day today and not only was i treated to almost every other women wearning heels(3-5)i think i got there for the"i can wear less than you because i can competition" Not just young women either. all ages!!! Yeah, I wanna go back to america... back to what? those ugly ass flip flops that american women/guys this are so great? well if i play my cards right i'll get back just in time for the winter boot season... at least that wont dissapoint. Gig

Cheers

Hi si gozimez! Although it has been almost 40 years since I was last in Tokyo.

When I was last in the western Pacific the Japanese women were not trying to copy American or western fashion. However, they had developed their own fashion, which included heels, and were able to project a very exotic and appealing image that was neither traditional (kimonos and zorries) nor western.8) I think that a big part of the appeal of heels has to do with their short stature. The war effort was so devastating that it left their people stunted. One might have difficulty appreciating this unless you can go to Hawaii and see for yourself the difference between Japanese Americans and the native Japanese:jap:. On average, the native Japanese are about 3" to 4 " shorter than their American counterparts. Consequently, the Japanese women seem to really love high heels. In some cases they've even developed some very high heels for their traditional zorries. I've actually seen some that would be pushing 6" (including platforms).:unsure:

What a load of crap!

Japanese Americans have always been markedly taller owing mainly to diet and lifestyle!

I don't think anybody put more effort into te war than us Brits and there aren't too many short people here...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What a load of crap!

Japanese Americans have always been markedly taller owing mainly to diet and lifestyle!

I don't think anybody put more effort into te war than us Brits and there aren't too many short people here...

Uh oh, Dr. Shoe has gone and got a bee in his bonnet (or is that under his hood?).8)

Yes, of course it has to do with diet and lifestyle. By the time the Japanese got around to signing the terms of surrender they were stripping the countryside of trees just to be able to glean enough fuel to move their vehicles. When Tojo tried to suicide there was a serious problem just finding a vehicle with enough fuel in it to get him to the hospital. You can bet your heels that it was about diet! By the time the surrender terms were signed the Japanese were on their knees and virtually the entire population, including the military, were on subsistance rations. Not only did MacArthur accept their surrender, but also his first order of business was to try and feed them!

While I'm sure that our valiant British brothers put up a heroic fight, comparing the European Theater with the Pacific Theater is like comparing apples and grapefruit.

It could be argued that Winston Churchill was the man who saved the free world! And who can deny that England was the only nation in the free world to stand alone against Hitler's armed might?

On the other hand, the Pacific Theater was really the American theater, while Europe and N. Africa were really the British theaters. Nevertheless, as Margaret Thatcher once said,"...when the British and Americans fight together - we win!" Therefore there is really no reason for discord among brethren. When you understand just who the American and British peoples really are, then you understand that we are really just different parts of the same family. Let us, therefore, rejoice in the firm knowledge of a genuine bond that goes well beyond our national kinship, and extends all the way to true brotherhood. :unsure:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 6 months later...