Hi I'm new here, and I've got a repair question

I've been trying to pull the heel tips off my g/f shoe to replace the tips, but I'm having a really difficult time. I got one tip off, with much effort, and the other I kinda mangled the metal pin, but it is still sticking out, albiet seemingly fragile. I was wondering if there was a special tool out there that I could use to yank these things off, besides grippy pliers I tried twisting a bit to loosen it, but I don't think it was a good idea. How do shoe repairers do this? Any help is much appreicated. Thanks. Neatshoes

They just grab hold with a pair of pliers and pull, twisting slightly. Do not be tempted to put the shoe in a vice and always hold the heel and not the shoe itself.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Is it just me, or do you need to be exceptionally strong to do this? It seems like I need to pull with more strength than my own weight. Is there something that works like a wine-bottle opener to get some mechanical leverage to pull this thing off? Geez, I feel like if you were to do this for a living, you'd have amazingly buff arms. Thanks for your tips, (pun not intended, but welcome) Neatshoes

The secret is is to twist it back and forth. They are designed not to come out so it is hard but there is a technique to it.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I've been trying to pull the heel tips off my g/f shoe to replace the tips, but I'm having a really difficult time. I got one tip off, with much effort, and the other I kinda mangled the metal pin, but it is still sticking out, albiet seemingly fragile.

I was wondering if there was a special tool out there that I could use to yank these things off, besides grippy pliers I tried twisting a bit to loosen it, but I don't think it was a good idea. How do shoe repairers do this?

Any help is much appreicated.

Thanks.

Neatshoes

Hi Neatshoes,

a question I'm pondering about since years! I'm changing usually my heel tips myself. Usually with a pipe wrench. Mostly this works quite well but sometimes the result is only a torn off plastic heel cap. I have no better idea than to pull the metal stud with brutal force out of the heel. To twist it back and forth - as Dr. Shoe proposed - could help. But if you are breaking the stud new heels are necessary. But this is another topic for us DIY home workers :smile:

But that's not the whole story. There is no reliable international standard for the width of the hole in the heel. Obviously there are different sizes. It could happen that you don't get the new tips into the heel because the hole is simply too narrow. I just ruined the heels of a pair because of using a hammer. The plastic heel was splitting up. I'm convinced that there are at least two different sizes for heel tips. A standard size and another size for thin stiletto heels. Who knows more details?

micha (*also interested in this problem*)

The best fashion is your own fashion!

My biggest fear is to break the heel tip off, by twisting too much. I've done that before, and I think that makes the shoe beyond repair. I don't think the pins are that strong to take such twisting. A pipe wrench? How big are one of those things? Does it have a locking grip? Thanks again for all your answers. Neatshoes

• 2 months later...

There are 2 main heel pin sizes, 120 (Larger) and 115 (smaller in diameter). There is also a 3rd smaller pin that can crop up now and then. If a heel pin has been worn down too much it may not be removed with a pair of pincers, then it can either be drilled out with an extra strong drill bit or the tube surrounding it filed down to enable the pin to be got at....best left to a shoe repairer. Hope this helps

There are 2 main heel pin sizes, 120 (Larger) and 115 (smaller in diameter). There is also a 3rd smaller pin that can crop up now and then.

If a heel pin has been worn down too much it may not be removed with a pair of pincers, then it can either be drilled out with an extra strong drill bit or the tube surrounding it filed down to enable the pin to be got at....best left to a shoe repairer. Hope this helps

I was just going to second Shoeman's suggestion. Any time it becomes obvious that you are not going to make the repair without extraordinary force - maybe it's time to take them to your local cobbler. Better that he should break a heel than you.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Your post sounds like I couldve written it! I was in the same position last year with a pair of boots. They were brand new, and the metal pin was all mangled at the end - but I took them to a shoe repair store and the guy had this huge gripper thing and it took him a few goes but he just yanked it right out!

Your post sounds like I couldve written it! I was in the same position last year with a pair of boots. They were brand new, and the metal pin was all mangled at the end - but I took them to a shoe repair store and the guy had this huge gripper thing and it took him a few goes but he just yanked it right out!

Right On!:wave: The real issue here is responsibility.

If the cobbler breaks or damages the heel/shoe - it's his problem. Whereas, if you break or damage the shoes - well then it's on you. In a case like this, it's better to loosen-up on the purse strings and let the other guy have a go at it. So what if he gets it loose at one go? He's still performed a service that you weren't able to do on your own. It's the smart way to go! :smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 6 months later...