Limited shoes - short/wide feet.

Thea

Hi, I have trouble trying to find shoes that fit. If it were not for my wide and high arched foot, I would fit the average 8 Aust(39) shoes etc, but alas my wide foot requires that I wear 91/2 (41). Does anyone have similar problems, and have you found styles that work?

Hi,

I have trouble trying to find shoes that fit. If it were not for my wide and high arched foot, I would fit the average 8 Aust(39) shoes etc, but alas my wide foot requires that I wear 91/2 (41).

Does anyone have similar problems, and have you found styles that work?

Shoe stretchers maby?

real men wear heels

I was going to suggest stretching. When shoes are made, the leather is always cut "tight to toe" meaning that the stretchiness of the leather is across the foot. This is why when you buy a pair of shoes that are a little tight across the instep they quickly give and loosen up a little. Try 40s and a a good stretcher.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You may end up having to avoid pointed toe shoes with short toe boxes, try courts with long toe boxes.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I have trouble trying to find shoes that fit. If it were not for my wide and high arched foot, I would fit the average 8 Aust(39) shoes etc, but alas my wide foot requires that I wear 91/2 (41).

Does anyone have similar problems

I have the very same problem. My feet are US9/UK7/EU40. If I wear courts that are large enough to accommodate the width of my feet, my feet slide forward too much in them-- I get either an unsightly gap at the back, or they just fall off my feet altogether.

and have you found styles that work?

It's more like avoiding the styles that do not work: anything like d'Orsays with open sides, most mules and many sandals are just impossible. My best comfort style currently is boots, because the enclosed insteps and boot shafts hold my feet from sliding forward so that my toes do not get jammed up in the toeboxes.

You may need to find wide width shoes.

While the style selection situation is improving somewhat, the best styles are still not available in wide widths.

You may end up having to avoid pointed toe shoes with short toe boxes, try courts with long toe boxes.

I was not a fan of the look of longpoints, but I'm getting used to them because they definitely provide more comfort and do not pinch nearly as much as the classic shorter toebox. Boots need not be longpoints to be comfortable, for the reasons stated above. A shorter toebox can also work if the sides curve in to the point in front rather than having a straight "V" shape. For best fit and comfort, though, boots are quickly becoming my number one choice.