Left Handers

Calv

Are you Left or Right handed ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Left or Right handed ?

As today is International Left Handed Day (and I am a proud left handed person) I thought it might be interesting to see how many other left handers we have on the board. So if you are left or right handed vote here.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I am partially amidexterous (I know that is not how I should spell it but I don't care). I do some things with my left hand, but not in enough detail. My mother can write with both hands, because, as she tells it, she practied this as a child, just in case she ever broke her right arm and it had to be in a sling. I'm not the only quirky girl around...

Well, I'm a righty.. But I do the mouse-thing with my left as well as my right hand.. So I'm a very little bit lefty too. :smile:

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I am a socially converted right-hander.

Me too! Apparently, when I was at school in the UK, it was beaten out of you! So I can do most things with either hand, except write.

Scientists have discovered, people who are genetically left-handed, but are trained to be right-handed, tend to be somewhat ambidexterous. This has some unique advantages, like being able to siy down at anyone's desk and use their adding machine no matter where they have it. :smile:

Or, of course, their computer mouse. In fact, when I'm helping people with stuff, I tend to stand on their right, as that's where most people's mice are, and then, if I need to, use the keyboard and mouse with my left hand.

If I reach out to pick something up, I tend to do it with my left hand. In fact, oddly, I tend to pick up pens with my left hand, take the cap off with my right hand, then swap hands.

ObHighHeelComment: But I tend to do the zip of my left boot with my right hand, and my right boot with my left hand. But I put my left boot on first :grin:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Me too! Apparently, when I was at school in the UK, it was beaten out of you! So I can do most things with either hand, except write.

Observation: Here in the States, if you join the military and are left-handed, when you go to the rifle range you are given a plastic device called a brass deflector. It keeps the hot casing from going down a lefty's shirt and causing 'great discomfort.' However, in the UK, this isn't so. As was said in a text I was reading: "...there are no left-handed firers in the British Army."

ObHighHeelComment: But I tend to do the zip of my left boot with my right hand, and my right boot with my left hand. But I put my left boot on first :smile:

I've noticed I'll change hands when zipping my boots, too, but I always start on the right. Socks, shoes, work boots, etc...

It's odd what you observe about yourself when you actually pay attention.

• 1 month later...

I remember seeing somewhere that Paul McCartney has somewhat the same situation in the music studio. He's left handed and plays most instruments that way, but learned to play drums right-handed. He did so because tearing apart a drum set and putting it back together in left-had configuration would take far too long, and be pretty inconvenient for everyone involved.

I am a right-hander... however my brother is a left-hander. He writes and does things with his left hand but is forced to use the computer with hos right hand because of the mouse.

I prefer to use the mouse on PC's with my left hand, but can use my right hand if neccessary. I always leave the mouse set up for the right hand though. When eating I hold my fork in the left hand and knife in the right, but for soup and sweet I use the left hand. A friend of mine who is right handed always holds his knife in the left hand and fork in the right when eating. Curious....

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv