Graduating from 4" to 5"

ShockQueen

I'm sure Laurie knows this better than most, but I'll post it here anyways. Please pardon the intrusion..... How long did it take you to change from being proficient at wearing 4" heels to 5" heels? I know it takes practice, but I was just curious. Thanks! :smile:

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

One month. Two weeks for basic proficiency, and two more to develop the endurance for all day wear without trouble. After about two months it is an expert skill. Six months and it becomes an addiction, and honestly, five inch heels feel like two inch heels to me. I sometimes remember some of the nice but lower heeled shoes I have worn in the past few years, and the feeling is the same now. Go high heels go.

All Hail the HighHeel Goddess!!!

How do I do that? Can I just hail while she reigns?

Okay, poor-quality weather joke there, but I blame too much nice lager and unmetered Internet access.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

One month.

Two weeks for basic proficiency, and two more to develop the endurance for all day wear without trouble.

Yes okay 1 month, but in that month how manny hous a day will you wear those heels than, If I am at work i can only wear 2.5"heels at the most. so my training can only be done in the evenning.

Do you think it is better to train in 4" and master them first of if you can just walk in 4" go to 4.5" Than the 4" will probaly bee a lot easeyer to walk in.

It is best to master the four inch heels, and then move up. Why? Because going to four and a half before you have full control of four inch heels just means extra pressure. Sure, wearing four and a half a lot will make the four inchers seem easier, but at what cost to your feet at the end of the day? Okay, if you cannot wear the heels you like during the day and can only practice at night, then I recommend three to four hurs of continuous wear at your maximum height for a few weeks. Be dedicated in this! You should still develop enough of the endurance for at least four hours of time after a month, and then it is simply a matter of extending this on weekend and days when such shoes are possible for wear. To sum up, practice at night, three or four hours, and on weekends as much as possible, unless like me you work. And become really good at four inch heels, and then move up to four and a half, be great in those, and move to five. Okay, so I skipped four and a half and went straight to five, but hey, we can all customize how we do this...

• 4 weeks later...

five and a half isn't so bad, but six is going to be tough. I can see my mobility and speed reduced somewhat when I get there. And getting there is a matter of money for shoes, and finding the shoes in stock. I don't keep up with people who walk fast in my heels, but I make a good pace at work at five inches and do okay with the extra half inch. We'll have to see... Practical experience is the best means to test the truth

I'm just astonished that you can buy shoes with that kind of heel that are tough enough for everyday wear. I'd assumed that the shoes you see in that kind of style are for lying down in. But I'd quite like to have the problem of only finding my preferred height in patent. Oh well, a man can dream :smile: !

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Jante heels, from what I can tell of my clear heeled sandals, are reinforced. So I think they are sturdy enough for long days of walking around. As time goes on in my life, more exspensive shoes will come along, sure, lots of leather, mostly black. A thin six inch heel would be tricky, we all know this, but with the right design on the inside, the heel shold serve me well. It will be a matter of developing the tendons into the correct position. And yes, Yamyam, that would be nice if that were the only problem, finding the preferred height in patent. :smile:

Well, now I know. I don't know if I'll ever get to those lofty heights, but now I know it's worth a try. Finding nice shoes generally isn't a problem. Finding the money, the time to wear them, etc...

• 7 years later...

I agree, when you get used to a 3 inch and 4 is really nothing much. If you are ok wearing a 4 all day then a 5 is not that big a step. I do find that a 6 inch heel is much more difficult as it really changes the amount of my foot is on the surface and the placement of my foot. Ballet boots are usually 7 or 8 inches and another matter entirely.