The Bravest Man in the World

Magickman

"The Bravest Man in the World" That's what she called me. This was in Prospects Bar and Grill, in Scandia, Minnesota. The woman on question had buttonholed Cindi in the ladies room, to comment on my appearance. We had stopped in for a drink, on a recent evening, and I was wearing my new outfit; white short shorts and shirt, and strappy white sandals, with 4" cork wedge heels. We were just having fun with the locals, who apparently don't miss a thing. At another spot, in nearby Marine on St. Croix, the waitress had told me that with the open toe sandals, I should have my toenails polished to match my blue glitter hued fingernails. But Marine is a more cosmopolitan environment. Anyway, at Prospects, I was more of a Scandia scandal in sandals, and the other patrons thought it a little too "Different." The woman warned Cindi that I should make my departure, well before closing, to safeguard my person. "Are you his friend?" she asked Cindi. "No," replied Cindi, "I'm his lover." Perhaps friends don't let friends wear wild outfits like mine, at watering holes in Scandia. Nonetheless, we made a safe departure, after an interesting evening at Prospects. I agree with the waitress in Marine, though, that the strappy, white, wedge sandals demand polished toenails. Maybe next time.

First, congratulations. That outfit sounds great and my hat is off to you. I have to ask though, at Prospects did either of you pick up on what appeared to be general animosity from the other patrons or did you take the word of the waitress? I mean, you'd think if it were that disapproving of a crowd, one of them would have been a bit on the direct side verbally, no?? I'm curious because it seemed you two were having a good time but didn't seem to pick up on what the waitress was reporting.

great story! and what an outfit! its funny though, the part about the toe nail polish. it happened to me a few summers ago. i was wearing my black sherberts with the 6 inch heels, this was in the Byward Market in the capital city. my wife and i were out and we met a lady friend of hers. later that day the woman called and said the shoes i was wearing were a bit far out and definitely, i needed a pedicure. so the very next day we went to Montreal, me still in my sherberts, and my wife bought me a pedicure. now i wear "copper sun" nail polish all summer. some constructive criticism will go a long way. hope to hear more about your summer outfits and adventures.

You're braver than I am. I am way jealous - I would love to wear something like that into a bar. Way to go!!

You might have to pic your bar with some care, but most bars that are frequented as much by strangers as regulars are much more likely to be accepting than a bar that's only frequented by locals.

I wear heels out all the time, often in bars, and have never had a problem.